GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Gaming Wheel Stand

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
So I recently had a momentary lapse of reason and bought myself a Fanatec 911 Turbo S gaming wheel setup. Wicked expensive, but good quality and works with PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. I game on 2 out of 3 of those-primarily the 360.

Having blown the budget (and then some) on the wheel kit, I'm in search of an uber-low buck wheel stand/cockpit setup. Last night I got my first prototype hacked together and gave it a try.

My inspiration for the 'design' is this how-to. My intent is to extend it to include a solid mount for the pedals. I have a junkyard bucket seat that I'd eventually like to build a stand for, then connect the two somehow, probably using something easily removable with wing-nuts.

I bought my 1st house a couple years ago and have been doing a lot of improvements and remodeling. Fortunately I have a pretty good stack of used and surplus lumber from those projects. So far I have about $3 into this as I didn't have any of the metric fasteners required for mounting the wheel. I'll probably blow another $10-20 before I'm done on better bolts and fasteners. Maybe some hand wheels or wing-nuts for quick adjusting. For now I've mocked it up using clamps.

At any rate:

Had to clamp the 2x6 to the front to counter weight it, otherwise the wheel falls over in my lap. First improvement is to implement a sliding bolt down for that stay.

Works surprisingly well. Although grandma's arm-chair isn't cutting it.

My free bucket seat:

Feels like elevating the front about 3 1/4 inches gives the right seat angle. Sadly won't be able to make that adjustable.

Mithotyn

O'doyle rules
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI 3dr 6MT
Very cool, I was thinking about buying a Logitech G27. Been playing SimBin's Race 07 and expansions lately and really liking it. I have an old Logitech Formula Force GP. Works okay but had it for 9 years now.

Still trying to figure out a way to tone down the dork factor too. :biggrin: