GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

less than a week old but its in the shop...

koreaniverson

Autocross Champion
i got my gti last tuesday and its been in the shop until thursday or until they can fix the damn noise problem... its ticking/fanning/rattling noise coming from the passenger side where there is timing belt... yesterday, they told me they'd replace the belt cover but now they are telling me they are gonna take apart whatever they are gonna take apart and try to fix the noise problem... my main concern is that they cant tell me exactly what is causing the noise... im really stressed out... i had the car for less than a week and now its idle at the shop for god knows how long... this is fucking rediculous to say the least... i read other threads about this type of issue but it desnt seem like its the same problem... does anyone else have the same problem?

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Mine sounds like it's the exact same problem. Does it go away when you accelerate. I have that sound in idle and plan to have them fix it when I go to get my new bumper (soon). It may be the prob of the fuel lines tapping the firewall or something like that. VW is already aware of this. I wouldn't have them go tearing into everything for such a simple fix that they are putting a spacer between them for. Not really that big of a deal.

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
koreaniverson said:
its ticking/fanning/rattling noise coming from the passenger side where there is timing belt...

Have you already tried restaining the fuel lines to see if this makes the difference? What have you tried on your own before turning it over to strangers?

GTI689

Oval Champion
Well a freind of mine had the same problem and the dealership discoverd that he bought upgraded wheels which they had to put on and the noise was a few loose screws or missing screws i cant remember ecactly hope this helps...

KaynE

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Oh my neighbor has said something about a rattle problem in the front. He's getting it checked tommorow.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
my car had the same tapping sound. its the fuel lines hitting the firewall. i strapped them down and everything is fine. it used to only make noise on idle, then when you accelerate the sound goes away. you can actually see them tapping the firewall if you get under the car and look straight up by the passenger side. its a quick fix

sledgod

Autocross Newbie
Exactly what kind of noise was it?

Did the tick/rattle increase with the revs and appear to be directly in relation to the amount of revs i,e 1000rpm rattle 2000rpm more rattle 3000rpm sounds like a heat shield falling off, 4000rpm animals run in opposite direction?

If so then the rattle is from inside the engine and you have problems

Mine had that but i don't have it back from the shop with the final verdict of what went wrong. I have moaned and bleated on separte posts about it. if it is that then don't despair there are only 3 known cases in the VW world and once its repaired with stronger parts then its a little bit quicker and more tractable.

If its only at idle and disappears as you accelarate then as everyone above says its not a problem, either FSI noise or fuel lines.

koreaniverson

Autocross Champion
from what i was told yesterday, the fuel line had nothing to do with the cause of this ticking/rattling noise... both the vw rep who came out to the dealer and its mechanic couldnt determine exactly what is causing the noise... they just told me to wait until they can fix this problem... i saw my gti with engine cover off, timing belt off and couple other things off... its like seeing your new-born child in hospital bed... like i said earlier, i bought the car last tuesday but i've been driving ford fucking focus since this past monday until god knows when... holla1

davesee

FIA GT Champion
hey, i liked my focus! but in comparison to a new gti - well really, no comparison... hope everything gets taken care of soon! Your situation really sucks!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Before too long, they might want to consider just swapping out a motor with what is in there or giving you a new GTI. I hope they are compensating you in some way. Definately should do something about your car payment.... you are paying on a car you haven't been able to drive.

sledgod

Autocross Newbie
Its definately like seeing your kid in hospital, attached is my bag of bolts.

Sorry to hear of your problems especially after a few days, it took me 6000 miles and lots of top speed driving before my problem started, so I still have some loyalty to it, you must be pissed x pissed.

See if you can get into your dealership garage and have a look in the engine bay and report back to the forum. The dealerships here are pretty slack so i was able to look around mine with ease but i had only my camera phone so photos of the broken bits were not possible. The crankshaft on no.4 cylinder was badly scored and the pistons seals were scored also. it would be interesting to see if its the same thing.

Good luck !

ps my replacement car was a Nissan Sunny 1.3 before someone crashed into it and so they gave me a 1.9 non turbo diesel Bora instead.

Attachments

• Photo-0033.jpg
    Photo-0033.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 939

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
Amier said:
Well a freind of mine had the same problem and the dealership discoverd that he bought upgraded wheels which they had to put on and the noise was a few loose screws or missing screws i cant remember ecactly hope this helps...

That was me :wink: Turns out, it had nothing to with the wheels. It was the fuel line tapping against something while the car was in idle. I brought it in and there's already a TSB out for it. All they need to do is attach a piece of foam to keep it from moving. After that, it's been dead silent during idle. It only took them 30 minutes to do.

d.C

DJ
my rattle is different from most of you guys, it doesn't appear until ~4000-5000 rpm, i didn't floor is during the first week of purchase so didn't notice it until the "break-in" period is over ...
btw, there was a scratch on my cluster and vw is gonna replace it for me, and now there's the rattle ...
and some of you might also know someone already attemped to break in to my car during the first week by screwing up my lock cylinder and also keying my car ... that is not gonna be fixed until next week ... then the cluster ... then the rattle ...

man ... when can i truly enjoy my car?

Accel

Rally Car Champion
d.C said:
my rattle is different from most of you guys, it doesn't appear until ~4000-5000 rpm, i didn't floor is during the first week of purchase so didn't notice it until the "break-in" period is over ...
btw, there was a scratch on my cluster and vw is gonna replace it for me, and now there's the rattle ...
and some of you might also know someone already attemped to break in to my car during the first week by screwing up my lock cylinder and also keying my car ... that is not gonna be fixed until next week ... then the cluster ... then the rattle ...

man ... when can i truly enjoy my car?

The 4 to 5k noise is most likely the FSI kicking in... I have the same thing.

funnycar

Autocross Champion
These are the stories that scared me concerning the purchase of a VW. They are the worse cars built according to C&D (?) but I gambled and bought the 06 GTI. (@00 miles and I love it) Of course after owning GM & Fords for several decades, got sorta used to recalls...