GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Euro R32 Tails - Wiring Each Brake Light

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
I did a little poking around in search, but didn't find anything solid.

What I'm looking to do is run a wire to each of the brake lights on the outer half of the outer light. With me? Good :p

This is how it's setup for the European-spec MkV cars and I'd like to do it myself. Just need to know which wires to get and which terminals to plug them into. I've seen maybe one or two other people on here who have done it themselves so hopefully someone can shed some light as to what all is involved. I have VAG-COM so changing the coding won't be a problem.

Here's an example of what I'm trying to achieve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZAKKxPyvCU

Essentially...when the lights are in the on position, both the inner and outter half-circles will be illuminated, however, when pressing the brake, only the outer-half circle lights up to indicate that the brake is being pressed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Anyone?

This isn't something that many have taken the time to do, but all I'm really looking for is the wires I'll need to run to the two exterior half lights and which terminal on the CEC they will need to plug into.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Okay so after lots of searching/reading I found out that in order to have my Euro R32 tail lights wired like they do in Europe I had to run an additional wire to the CECM just like one would with the OEM Euro LED tail lights.

I know what this all entails as far as moving the outer half brake light to the empty slot and changing its function via VAG-COM, however, my only question is what ports do I plug the two extra wires into on the CECM? Unfortunately, all the DIYs on Vortex are inaccessible because they're still porting stuff over from Zeroforum. I've been unable to find any threads here about what needs to be plugged in where and then what VAG-COM changes will follow so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've already run the wires through the car and just need to know where stuff needs to be plugged in at the CECM.

grm77

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTI DSG Autobahn
Just so I'm on the same page...your looking for amber turns with the "O" on the outer taillight with the ")" as the brakes...is that right?

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
This is what I have now...

- Amber turn signal and it works properly.
- The lighting setup when the headlights are on is "O"
- The braking setup, currently, is "O"

What I want to do is have the brake lights only be the outer half circles, however, when the head lights are on the full circle will be illuminated.

For example if we were looking at it from the rear and could only see the light it was show up like this when applying the brake: () ()

grm77

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTI DSG Autobahn
Thats awesome....can you do a DIY for the "O"??? I've been trying to figure it out but with vwvortex down, its been a PIA!

I've got my GTI over here in the UK and have amber turns but I want the "O" like some of the other Golf's around here. I think the way they wired the car for my "light conversion" was the 3 wire way and I want to do the wiring the correct way.

BTW- all the cars I've seen with the "O" have the full "O" light up when they brake. Thats not to say that it can't be done! :)

Is there 4 or 5 wires required for the "O"??? Where do they connect in the CECM?

Thanks!

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
The harness just has 4 wires, however, the US-spec Golf/GTI/R32 only has 3 wires on the harness. I believe you could achieve the full circle brake light by simply making a change via VAG-COM, but don't take my word for it.

When you say "O" are you referring the full circle illuminating when pressing the brakes?

The way I did it on my car was by splicing the outer brake light into the inner brake light (since I only had 3 wires on the harness) which makes them perform the same action (light up when head lights are on and also turn bright when braking).

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Update!

I used these steps posted by a member on the Vortex to achieve what I was attempting to do. See below:

Wiring

The European wiring harness has 4 wires (Turn, Brake, Parking, Return/Common) running from the central electronics control module (J519) to each of the taillights. The US wiring harness only has 3 wires (Turn, Brake, Return/Common). To get the LED's (or Euro R32 lights) to function properly, you need to provide a signal to the 4th pin. There are two ways to do this. One may result in a "bulb out" message on the MFD and the other (adding a 4th wire) does not. Both cover both below:

The pin configurations at the taillights are:

Stock Left (Driver's side)

1. Not used

2. Black/white (turn signal)

3. Black/red (brake light)

4. Brown (common/return)

Stock Right (Passenger side)

1. Brown (common/return)

2. Black/purple (brake light)

3. Black/green (turn signal)

4. Not used

The wires need to be moved in the connector using the method described in the Jetta LED DIY instructions (Thanks to those who wrote the Jetta DIY  )

LED Left (Driver's side)

1. Black/white (turn signal)

2. Black/red (brake light)

3. New Wire (Parking light)

4. Brown (common/return)

LED Right (Passenger side)

1. Brown (common/return)

2. New Wire (Parking light)

3. Black/purple (brake light)

4. Black/green (turn signal)

The new wire should be VW part 000 979 141 (I have been told that wire 000 979 151 works better, but I have not verified this). This VW wire has a connector on each end. This allows you to cut the wire in half to have a pigtail for each side.

The two new wires need a signal to activate the parking lights. The first choice is to splice wires 2 and 3 together as shown in the R32 taillight DIY. The lights will work just fine if you do this (after VAG-Com changes), but you will have an error message in the MFD that you won't be able to clear (this did not occur when setting up my Euro R32 tails using the splicing method).

The second method is to run two new wires, one to each side, from the Central Electronics Controller (J519) to the taillights. To do this, you need access to the central electronics controller. I found the Jetta rear foglight DIY to have better instructions than my Bentley manual. To connect the wires to the central electronics controller, you will need VW part 000 979 025. This wire works just like the one for the taillights. Cut this wire in half and install the wire for the left (Driver's) side to connector C, terminal 10. Install the wire for the right (passenger's) side to connector B, terminal 9. You must then run wires from these pigtails to the pigtails in the back. One suggestion for routing the wires is to read the GTI sub DIY for routing ideas.The instructions in the Bentley manual for removing the trim may serve as a better alternative.

Here's a picture of the central electronics control module:

VAG-Com Instructions

Once you have connected wires to all four pins and reinstalled the connectors into the taillight housing you are ready to recode your central electronics module. This coding appears all over the Jetta LED threads, so I don't know who to credit for this information. Using a VAG-Com, you need to make the following changes to the Central Electronics Module (09).

**Note: These changes only apply to those installing OEM LED tail lights

Change Bytes 9 through 13 from 14 00 00 00 14 to 0A 00 00 0F 00

Change Byte 18 by unchecking the cold diagnostic bits 1, 3 and 5

Change Byte 19 by unchecking the cold diagnostics bits 2 and 3

Euro R32 Tail Lights running the 4th wire:
Change Bytes 9 through 13 from 14 00 00 00 14 to 0A 00 00 0A 00

Hopefully this helps, but as always YMMV.

Last edited:

IIIHobbs

The Old Man Down the Road
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Well done GUY. :thumbsup:

With the Amber Turn Signals, this is a good way to distinguish the brake lights.

Can you capture/add a photo with the turn signal illuminated?

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
I'll get one up for you all when I get home from work today ;)

Also, if it's dark out like the above photos I'll try and remember to use night mode on the camera :p

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
Also, for anyone who is curious about why the coding is different between the OEM LED tails and Euro R32 tails...here's why:

When I used the LED coding, one of the tail light halves was brighter than the other. The multiplier under Byte 12 controls the balance of brightness between the two brake lights. Setting Byte 12 to 0F changes the multiplier to 15. Changing the multiplier to 20 increases the difference in brightness between the two (one brake light becomes brighter while the other becomes dimmer). For the LED tail lights, setting Byte 12 to 0F is correct, because one of the lights is brighter than the other, though the difference is not much. To fix this for the Euro R32 tails, I set the multiplier to 10, which changed Byte 12's entry back to 14. This results in equal light output between both tail lamps.

BurgerGuy

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'07 K04 GTI
^ It's surprisingly easy.

Only recommendation I have is to run both wires to the tail lights down the driver's side of the car. I spent about 20 minutes trying to find an "easy" path from the passenger side to the driver side through the lower part of the dash and was unsuccessful. Instead, I ran the wires down the driver's side and into the trunk area, split the passenger side wire right after the back seats and then tucked it under the paneling on the passenger side.

I also managed to get the two brake light wires mixed up so after coding it looked kinda retarded with the inner half-circle lights lighting up with the brakes :p Luckily I have the Schwaben electronic tool kit so that helped out a lot with popping out the terminals from the harness on the tail lights.