GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My MKV GTI build thread

Mariach

FIA F1 World Champ..to be
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI DSG
This has been said 1 million times before in this thread but SO AMAZING.

I have a BMP 4-door DSG too!
And I am trying to build exactly what you are!!!

I noticed you took your fogs out... did you set up a brake vent system?? Pics if you did! lol

Also, where did you get your unibrace?

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
Cheers for the positive feedback guys. Been a long time between updates, no good news unfortunately:

BRAKES: I developed a ticking noise when cornering and noticed soon after that all bolts on my front rotors were loose. The guys who installed them said only every 2nd bolt was meant to be lose. Tightening them up made the ticking noise go away but only for a short while. In just 2 track days I managed to crack both front rotors. The EBC green stuff pads on the rear have melted and deformed and will need replacement, rear rotors are gone too.

KNOCKING NOISE: For the past few weeks I've been hearing a knocking noise coming from the front left. It happens when I go over rough roads and hit pot holes. Suspension linkages are all in place (no snapped end links like last time!) but I finally got around to TOP ONE today and this is what we found:

See that bent tab on the JIC MAGIC/CROSS Coilovers? First it was their weak end links (one which snapped on me), now this. I love these coilovers so much, they feel and perform to my liking but damn this just takes the cake. :(

Just a shot of one of the cracks on my 'new' rotors.

So that leaves me with no choice but to buy some new coilovers. I know the Bilstein PSS10's would last but I'm not sure I like how they feel (a little harsh in my opinion, damping doesn't feel 100% right). I had these CROSS coilovers as low as I could go. I'd like to go lower and have read the KW's might do this. Need more research.

Zach L

VR junkie
Amazing build!

What's the specs on the Advan wheels? And did you put 20mm spacers both front AND rear?

So that leaves me with no choice but to buy some new coilovers

Screw that! Those coilovers are too good ...I'd get a piece of metal cut, drilled, and welded on to the tabs to reinforce it.

HereticByDefault

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear the trouble you're having with the coilovers and the rotors. Maybe the coilovers being at their lowest setting was putting too much stress on them? You'd know a lot better than I would though.

Hope everything gets sorted out soon so this beautiful thing can get back on her feet :biggrin:

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Great build, giving me some thoughts on additions to my own track ride.

I'd try to repair your current strut body, seems a waste not to. You may also need to obtain shortened links. Clearly the amount of lowering has exceeded the amount of room the link needs to move at full extension of the suspension.

I have an 08 Mk5 that I track a lot (in last 3 yrs, its been through nearly 20 DE's now). I don't think they take all that well to being lowered much and tracked hard. With it raised a bit, you'll lose the tire rubbing, and the front will be less prone to the sway bar mounts and links bending or snapping.

I like the idea of that rear uni-brace, can you offer any feedback on the effect its had? The gauges look great too, I gotta ditch that stupid rattle box vent on the top of the dash!

Last edited:

Ronan1

Ready to race!
Wonderfully executed track weapon, and great to see a 4-door too! Just wondering how this compares to the Japanese cars you must be familiar with over the years (wild guess based on your website)

Also curious to hear your thoughts on the uni-brace, firstly did the rear brace make a noticeable difference, and secondly when you added the underfloor bracing, did you notice it too?

Happy New Year!