GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust

Old 04-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
vegasGTI
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 08 GTI DSG
BSH engine mounts finally installed, impressions...

Been a long two months moved my gf in with me. Had no internet but my blackberrys for two months while i sorted Clear out and went back to Cox. Her car died and is on ramps in my garage which im still trying to re-organize. Tools everywhere ect. Anyways first impression is they are awesome. I have been wondering about this different engine noise that was mentioned with these mounts and car sounds better imo. Deeper tone more burbly almost like a boxer engine. Very minor rise of NVH in the cabin when car was cold, so after they settle in i can imagine it being almost unoticable. Engine slop is gone as well as the hard clunking between shifts on hard acceleration. I can floor it and the car now shifts smoothly and quickly and just goes. No more hesitation as the engine and tranny settles back. Wheel hop GONE woot! Very impressed as with all my BSH products.
Install note i had the engine jacked too high and was causing the engine mount to look to short. Had a migraine past few days and wasnt thinking so my stupid ass called BSH and then realized I had to lower the jack a tiny bit. Everything else was a breeze. Spent more time talking to neighbors then installing but meh. Nice day installing parts regardless. Update in few hundred miles. IMO anyone thinking of going stage 1 or higher should get a set. Especially for stage 2 and above. I feel much more secure getting my stage 2 flash now knowing the driveline is in order and i can actually use the extra power.
GIAC High Output KO4 Race File: GIAC DSG Flash: Snow/BSH W/M Kit: JunBL Catback: Surewin DP:Autotech HPFP:BSH Tru Seal: BSH PCV: H&R OE Sport Springs: Koni Yelows: H-Sport Sway Bar Set: BSH Full Mount Kit: Tyrolsport Brake Bushings: Konig Inceptions 17x8: Michelin PSS 245/40/17: BSH/OSIR: Focal 165 VB 2-ways
vegasGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
GodSquadMandrake
Radioactive Rotary Rocket

Drives: JZS147
After I installed mine I noticed the extra vibration and it is slightly more stiff between shifts but it's nothing like real solid motor mounts. It's still way too soft for me. I think the lower engine mount is the real weak point. Because the engine and transmission mounts are like a fulcrum, they don't actually stop it from twisting. That's all in the pendulum mount.
GodSquadMandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
vegasGTI
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
After I installed mine I noticed the extra vibration and it is slightly more stiff between shifts but it's nothing like real solid motor mounts. It's still way too soft for me. I think the lower engine mount is the real weak point. Because the engine and transmission mounts are like a fulcrum, they don't actually stop it from twisting. That's all in the pendulum mount.
Solid mounts also bring tons of NVH and are not really fun for a daily driver. I shifted at redline and no clunk and still no noise so i am very happy with the mounts. Pendulum mounts was one of my first mods.
GIAC High Output KO4 Race File: GIAC DSG Flash: Snow/BSH W/M Kit: JunBL Catback: Surewin DP:Autotech HPFP:BSH Tru Seal: BSH PCV: H&R OE Sport Springs: Koni Yelows: H-Sport Sway Bar Set: BSH Full Mount Kit: Tyrolsport Brake Bushings: Konig Inceptions 17x8: Michelin PSS 245/40/17: BSH/OSIR: Focal 165 VB 2-ways
Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
GodSquadMandrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasGTI View Post
Solid mounts also bring tons of NVH and are not really fun for a daily driver. I shifted at redline and no clunk and still no noise so i am very happy with the mounts. Pendulum mounts was one of my first mods.
Yeah but I love NVH. I want to feel it when my thermostat opens lol.
Difference in tastes I suppose. I just think it's still too sloppy. I would buy it if someone sold a better pendulum mount thing. I don't want to go through the trouble of buying the BSH billet pendulum mount and then just the crappy insert. Because that only inserts in the bottom bushing, not the top one so there will still be slack in the top. I could still buy the INA density line bushings AND the BSH pendulum mount but then we're over $200 for something that isn't that complicated.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
GTIWV
WV VW

Drives: 08 GTI, 02 S2000, 00 CRV
Send a message via AIM to GTIWV
I installed the VF pendulum mount, i already had the insert installed, and didnt really notice any difference. I have the other 2 VF mounts waiting to be installed, just have to find time with school

'08 CW GTI
APR K04
GTIWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
ssunnylee24
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 07 CW GTI
Send a message via AIM to ssunnylee24
I just ordered BSH pendelum mounts and very excited!
ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
vegasGTI
Formula 3000 Driver

Pendulum mount makes a big diff. Did you order the all 3 mounts or just the one? With all 3 im very happy No more wheel hop and slop in the shifts. If someone were racing i might be able to see going VF or a stiffer/solid mount but for those wanting to keep their DD civil these seem to be awesome so far.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
ssunnylee24
Formula 3000 Champion

No, I only got the pendelum mount.
I don't need other two.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #9
vegasGTI
Formula 3000 Driver

Helps a ton even stock.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:03 AM   #10
ssunnylee24
Formula 3000 Champion

First I thought I'd be good enough with just the insert but after seeing how much the engine moves underneath the car while it was being rev'd in drive, I made a decision to get a pendelum mount.
I think I'll be happy with the result.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
TheJakofallTrads
Car-less

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Quote:
Pendulum mount makes a big diff. Did you order the all 3 mounts or just the one? With all 3 im very happy No more wheel hop and slop in the shifts. If someone were racing i might be able to see going VF or a stiffer/solid mount but for those wanting to keep their DD civil these seem to be awesome so far.
VF mounts are softer than BSH's. There's only one Delrin mount readily available in the states that I know of, and it's a beast.

BFI Delrin Engine Mount
TheJakofallTrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
madmortar
lalala I sing for you

Drives: 08' GTI
Do you guys re-torque your BSH pendelum mounts yearly?

I did the re-torque after I put on the miles and then checked it again 6 months later and all was fine...but do I need to keep checking it? Or is it set and forget now.
madmortar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
ssunnylee24
Formula 3000 Champion

Maybe use bliue-locktite?
Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
soze
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2008.5 4Dr UG GTI DSG (Sold)
Would there be any issues over time to the stock engine mounts if you only changed out the pendulum mount rather than changing all of them at the same time?

BASIC TSI INFO/ACRONYMS/FAQ
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
ssunnylee24
Formula 3000 Champion

What I've read, no.
But if you use an aftermarket top engine mount and not OEM transmission mount, I heard you are putting more pressure on the OEM transmission mount.

But pendelum is good to change just it self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
If your familiar with integras, if you change the torque mounts, it will not put extra stress on the other engine mounts, same idea, the pendelum mount is the torque mount
Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
TheJakofallTrads
Car-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Would there be any issues over time to the stock engine mounts if you only changed out the pendulum mount rather than changing all of them at the same time?
I'm with Sunny, it's not advised to change just the side engine or the transmission mount by themselves, but many people upgrade the pendulum and leave the other mounts stock. I had the ECS Tuning mount for 15k before I upgraded the other mounts.

That being said, if you can afford to upgrade all of the mounts at the same time it's a huge difference in feel and performance.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
soze
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2008.5 4Dr UG GTI DSG (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJakofallTrads View Post
I'm with Sunny, it's not advised to change just the side engine or the transmission mount by themselves, but many people upgrade the pendulum and leave the other mounts stock. I had the ECS Tuning mount for 15k before I upgraded the other mounts.

That being said, if you can afford to upgrade all of the mounts at the same time it's a huge difference in feel and performance.
Ah cool. I've been thinking of doing the pendulum mount for a while now.

Also been looking at the BFI Stage 1 engine/transmission mounts. But that's really far down the road for me.

BASIC TSI INFO/ACRONYMS/FAQ
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
vegasGTI
Formula 3000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJakofallTrads View Post
VF mounts are softer than BSH's. There's only one Delrin mount readily available in the states that I know of, and it's a beast.

BFI Delrin Engine Mount
Not from what I remember reading. Iirc the bsh mounts are around 88 on durometer and vf are around 95.
they are also made of poly vs the rubber like material of bsh. I know of the bfi mounts way to hard for my needs or liking.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #19
TheJakofallTrads
Car-less

Quote:
Not from what I remember reading. Iirc the bsh mounts are around 88 on durometer and vf are around 95.
they are also made of poly vs the rubber like material of bsh. I know of the bfi mounts way to hard for my needs or liking.
All VF mounts are 75a. The BSH side and transmission are 78a, and the pendulum is 88a. BFI mounts are 65a, (Stage 1) 85a, (Stage 2) and Delrin (Stage 3) their dogbone insert in 90a.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #20
dave80
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 09 K04 Dsg
Im still waiting for mine bsh mounts to get here, but it looks like fedex lost the package. Box arrived in Chicago last Friday, but it didnt go out for delivery yet. Called bsh on Wednesday and told them about that, but haven't heard back from them. Kinda sucks.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #21
GodSquadMandrake

It doesn't really matter the durometer rating of your mounts if the dogbone mount is still stock or just has an insert shoved in there to fill up the holes. The engine and transmission mount are on the side and don't do anything to stop the torque from pitching the engine. The real movement and rocking of your engine is going to be controlled by the dog bone mount. I'm not just saying that theoretically either. I have the full BSH mounts in and I still have plenty of slop in my drive train, whiteline WALK installed and everything too.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #22
ViRtUaLheretic
╭∩╮(︶__︶)╭∩╮ haters

Drives: 2009 VW GTI TSI motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
It doesn't really matter the durometer rating of your mounts if the dogbone mount is still stock or just has an insert shoved in there to fill up the holes. The engine and transmission mount are on the side and don't do anything to stop the torque from pitching the engine. The real movement and rocking of your engine is going to be controlled by the dog bone mount. I'm not just saying that theoretically either. I have the full BSH mounts in and I still have plenty of slop in my drive train, whiteline WALK installed and everything too.
I have to completely disagree, I installed the Motor & transmission mount in the engine bay first and then installed the pendulum mount later.
a Majority of the slop was absorbed from the motor & transmission mount while I hardly noticed anything from the addition of the pendulum mount.
Not to dog on the pendulum mount as from what I have read it is a great piece when used by itself, but you get a majority of the gains from the motor & transmission mounts.

The durometer of the material used in the mounts will also play a major role, BFI makes 3 different stages with varying durometers.
Also people have swapped torque mount insert with different durometers and reported different feelings.

My motor now feels completely planted, and I am eyeballing the WALK as I want to get rid of the lift when I mash the fun pedal.

::APR stage2::BSH -Intake,Mounts,TB Pipe,RSB::Eurojet v1.0 TBE::Whiteline -A.L.K.
::Devils Own DVC-30::Neuspeed -Discharge::BC Racing BR coils::Unibrace -xB & uB
::OSIR::Flik FTD::245x40x17::Porsche 17Z BBK::Bildon Studs::Hawk HPS
Read this for TSI INFO/FAQ
ViRtUaLheretic is offline   Reply With Quote