GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RCD-510 MDI help

I'm about to get a RCD-510 and was wondering if I can use same MDI unit(5N0 035 341 A) people use on their RNS-510. And anybody know part number for this console? (pic below).
thanks

Attachments

• GTI_MDI_0044.jpg
    GTI_MDI_0044.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 16,355

ZPrime

Big Geek
Car(s)
2018 BMW M2
Unless your armrest already has that console in it, you don't want to screw with that. You have to buy an entire new center console / armrest piece, a new duct piece to go under it... not worth it.

There are two P/Ns for the MDI. one ends with an A, the otehr has no letter. One of them is the kit meant to mount in that special center console. The other is the kit for "Retrofitting," and VW intends you to run the wire into the glovebox.

The wire doesn't NEED to go to the glovebox. ;)

My car had the Aux jack in the armrest from the factory. I installed the MDI and tucked the box into the plastic under the ashtray area and actually next to the shifter box/frame. there's enough length on the MDI "extension cable" to make it into the armrest from there. You'll need to trim a little bit of a hole next to the Aux, but it only needs to be big enough for the cable itself to fit in and then you can squeeze the head through there. My MDI jack is just hanging out in the armrest and I plug stuff in there.

The MDI is the same kit for RNS510 and RCD510/"PRemium 8."

pmburke80

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07.5 CW GTI
I just sold my Mazdaspeed MX-5 I've opted to not go with a 2010 GTI but go with either an '08 or '09. I'm a fan of the RCD-510 and will want to put one in the older model myself. How did the install go? I'm curious if anything else had to be purchased. I was planning on just running it to the glove box and plug my 32g iPhone and just leave it in there. As long as my music is accessible on the touch screen and the phone can be accessed via Bluetooth. However, I believe the 2010 comes with Bluetooth available and the MKV did not. Does anything else have to be purchased to make the car Bluetooth ready?