GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

auto door lock/unlock acting weird

npalao

VDub Lover
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Hey everyone, I noticed, since I got the car over a year ago, that the automatic lock/unock feature is not constant in it's behaviour.

The car always locks fine after it starts moving. But it is the automatic unlocking that works as it pleases. Sometimes it will unlock as soon as you turn off the iginition, sometimes it will wait until you remove the key from the iginition and sometimes in between. I have lived with this for a year now.

But yesterday, out of the blue, while the car was moving the doors unlocked on their own. First time they locked themselves again on their own about 30 seconds after they unlocked. The second time I had to park the car and lock them manually. After that, car is back to normal. I have not scanned the car yet to check for any faulty sensors, but will tonite and let you know.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone know of a software upgrade needed on this module? Cheers!

GTI_nurse

Ready to race!
Take it to the dealer... The lock mechanism probably needs to be swapped out (free under warranty). I had issues like the lock rapid firing when the door was open, or not recognizing that it was in fact open (even not showing up on the MFD). If possible try and get videos of it happening (if driving might be hard). I had vids of the stuff happening, and the tech's attitude went from scan for codes and BS this guy, to ah shit time to change out the locks

higher.one

Ready to race!
ive heard mine locking and unlocking repeatedly when parked and and key still in....its only happened a hand full of times but i didnt like it to say the least...

GTI_nurse

Ready to race!
ive heard mine locking and unlocking repeatedly when parked and and key still in....its only happened a hand full of times but i didnt like it to say the least...

this happened to me, as well as with the key out... I would be willing to put money that the door has thrown a couple codes and they will be forced to replace the door lock

npalao

VDub Lover
Car(s)
GTI MKV
this is what came out from the scanning, it may have something to do with it since the unlocking should be synched with the key removal. I cleared them and will re-scan in a couple of days. As far as the situation, it is still the same.

Address 16: Steering wheel
Part No SW: 1K0 953 549 BG HW: 1K0 953 549 BG
Component: J0527 051 0100
Coding: 0012122
Shop #: WSC 01279

Part No: XXXXXXXXXXX
Component: E0221 002 0010

4 Faults Found:
00576 - Terminal 15
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
00883 - Ignition Switch (D) Terminal S
00884 - Ignition Switch (D) Terminal X
01744 - Ignition Switch Terminal P (D)

seanmcd

World's Greatest Driver
Car(s)
2008 VW Rabbit
Take it to the dealer... The lock mechanism probably needs to be swapped out (free under warranty). I had issues like the lock rapid firing when the door was open, or not recognizing that it was in fact open (even not showing up on the MFD). If possible try and get videos of it happening (if driving might be hard). I had vids of the stuff happening, and the tech's attitude went from scan for codes and BS this guy, to ah shit time to change out the locks

Ditto - Mine did this and was worse when it was really hot out. At one point I would open the door, and not hear the usual sound of the fuel pump kicking on, and nothing would show on the MFD (as if the door was never opened). This is a common problem.

rippie74

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI

Same crap is happening to me. One time I was home & I started the car & went in the house, I came out & the doors were LOCKED! F$%K!

Luckily I was home & just went inside & grabbed my spare key.

Other times my drivers side lock freaks out & my interior light goes nuts (on/off rapidly) & the mfd display shows the door opening & closing @ light speed, lol

GTI_nurse

Ready to race!
Other times my drivers side lock freaks out & my interior light goes nuts (on/off rapidly) & the mfd display shows the door opening & closing @ light speed, lol

This was one of my exact symptoms. If this is happening, bring it to the dealer, the whole latch assembly will get changed out. I even got a new B pillar trim piece because they broke mine while they were fixing the lock

One thing that will definitely make your case is to try and get some video of it, even just on a digi cam, because we all know how GTI's love to act up until they go in for service, then they turn their head and cough for the doctor like nothing is wrong:paddle:

npalao

VDub Lover
Car(s)
GTI MKV
well, i re-scanned the car and the codes came back! I am almost positive that the gremlins come from the ignition switch. I will have it changed and let you guys know if the gremlins dissappeared as well!

gazza307

i have a different issue:
mine locks normally when the car starts but it doesn;t unlock.
i have to pull the door handle twice in order to open the door or to press the unlock button.
can anyone help with this.
I have a vw golf mk5 GT 170hp 2008 model.
maybe the automatic unlock service is not provided to this model

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think there's a problem with the some of the cables that go from the handle to the lock being a little too short. Or it's a bad door latch, like my car. Also check the wiirng where it goes from the door to the body, in or near the rubber boot, that's another problem area, where wires break.

edgreenz

mine rapid fires the rear door locks when driving away after starting the car. It doesn't do again until I stop and turn off the car and restart and move away. This happens randomly but I think maybe opening the hatch may set it off. Any thoughts

Chaseme

springs are the new bags
Car(s)
Black Rabbit
Solution (that worked for me*)

Go in to your Multifunction Display (MFD) settings menu (external link: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/multifunction-display-VW.htm) and scroll down the option to do a ‘Factory Reset’.

--

I had the same issue come up twice. The first time was around the same time I had a service interval warning come up. The issue, like others have expressed was the automatic door locks would act on their own randomly. Upon reaching 10 MPH the doors would all lock, then dropping below 10MPH the locks would unlock. The locks even lock/unlocked if I would rev the engine at a dead stop.

Strangely, this first spastic episode went away when I reset the service interval chime (directions are here: http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/showthread.php/5418-resetting-service-interval-light).

However, the issue came back to taunt me within the last week and a half. Another strange electronic gremlin that was occurring at the same time was my VCSD setting for keyfob window open/close was only operating the driver door window.

Just today, after reading countless options such as checking for fault codes, replacing the door latch, replacing locks, replacing ignition switch, etc. I took to the MFD settings to see what I could turn off.

I wound up deciding to start from scratch and opt for a ‘Factory reset’. All of my pre-existing settings were defaulted. I got out, tested to see if the ATA lock (door lock audible beep) was re-enabled, the doors unlocked in sequence (one click driver, two click all doors), and everything else was in working order.

Took the car for a test spin and to my surprise, the autolock function locked the doors at 10MPH and kept them locked throughout a speed range.

I even tested out the keyfob window opening and it operated both windows correctly.

I also re-instated my original settings in the MDF and the auto-lock function still works correctly.

The age old saying that Volkswagens have electronic problems is true. Fortunately, it only took a reset.

--

*My car is a 2008 MKV VW Rabbit S (which came with a factory installed high-line MDF display).

Alex08T

Ready to race!
My doors lock above 10 MPH but they wont unlock after I stop, shut off the car or remove the key from the ignition.