GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So, here is a simple DIY for those who's tires only rub a little bit

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
This DIY will help reduce or eliminate rubbing, depending on how bad you're rubbing in the front. The nice thing about this is that it's completely reversible, and doesn't require any cutting.

So, just look near the top the fenderliner. you'll see something like this:

Tools i used:
-1/4" socket wrench
-1/4" socket
-torx t-20 bit
-cutting plier

You can use any thing with a t-20 bit, but i found this to be easiest for me.

-Unbolt the screw
-Tuck the plastic behind the metal tab. You will have to use some force to do this.
-Use the cutting pliers, and lightly grip around the screw retainer in order to pull it out.

The removed pieces should look like this:

And here is what the fender should look like after you're done:

Now, if you're still rubbing after doing this, then try this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2514372

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
i did the same. completely got rid of it, crazy what not even 3mm of clearance can do to rubbage.

jonnyc

This is exactly what i needed!!

Im on coilovers lowered around 40mm, with rubbing as soon as i thought about driving quickly! Did this fix and was able to lower my car a further 20mm and I havnt rubbed once since!!

Thanks!!

Jonny

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
damn...amazing what so little can provide

Big Jerm

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2006 GTI
ok i see where you put the plastic fender well above the metal flap, did you bend it further up and did you reassemble it back the screw and screw retainer?

Last edited:

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Darn, I may still rub even with putting the plastic up there because I've already moved the screws and just kept the plastic there, and I know I rubbed on the plastic yesterday during hard cornering. I have the Sport Cupkit (2.2 F) with 18x8 rims ET45 and 225/45 tires, so I'm sure that's part of the culprit. And I don't feel like cutting anything, nor do I want it rubbing on the metal part, so I'll probably just deal with the really minor rubbing (only on hard cornering and big dips).

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
well, you can try to fold the lip, but be careful as doing so can cause paint cracking if not done correctly.

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but I may as well deal with the rubbing because paint cracking is 10x worse than rubbing only on hard cornering or big dips. And I don't think I'm going to rub on 16x6.5" steelies with 215/55/16 winter tires. Yeah, I know 205/55 is preferred, but my sister sold her Grand Prix and it had 215/55's winter tires on it, so I figure the extra cm isn't going to hurt for 4 months or so.