GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will I rub with 235/45/18 and 18x8.5 +45 RS4 Reps (VMR V708) [pics]

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
Just throwing this out there.

My bro is selling his B7 A4 and he got 18" VMR V708 in gunmetal for his car. However, he is selling the car, so he is parting out the wheels. Curious if these wheels with this tire size will fit my GTI.

Currently, my car is lowered on H&R Supersports springs (approximately a 2" drop). Already performed the fender screw mod. 24.5" from the front fenders, 25" from the rear fenders.

VMR V708 specs:

-18x8.5 +45
-235/45/18 kuhmo tires
-gunmetal

What do you think about this set up on my car? Will I encounter any problems? I'm guessing these wheels will fill my wheel gap nicely.

If I mount these, they will be on sometime during the Thanksgiving break.

Here are some pics of how they look.
BTW: The A4 is on stock suspension. It went from a 5 finger gap with the stock wheels to a 2 finger gap with these

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
I run rs4 reps in 225/40R18 et42 with no rub on Prokit springs.... I'd say 235/40 maybe but 234/45? AND 2" drop? I think you will rub, but I hate rubbing so that's just my 2 cents

rs_hunter

Ich blute VW-Blau & weiße
Well, to begin with, you're talking about a combination that is 1.3" taller. That's nearly 5% larger than OE, while the recommendation is to keep it within 2-3%. Not to mention that with that much sidewall to flex, you're going to get a lot of lateral distortion under load. Enjoy the scrubbing sound...

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
You'll rub. I have the same size VMRs, with 225/40/18s and I rub periodically, especially on hard onramps or big undulations. I'm on H&R sports, which aren't as low as yours and I still rub from time to time even with my shorter/ narrower tires.

You might be fine if you only plan on going in a straight line on glassy smooth roads. Otherwise you will rub.

(edited for stock tire size brainfart.)

Last edited:

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
Theres no doubt youll rub with 235/45

This x2... Me running my stocks (225/45/R18, et51) rubbed on stock fenders when i lowered my car and actually warped my RF fender :frown: But it's all fixed now...

hkswrxti

/black magic
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
Well, looks like im keeping my huffs for awhile.

Thanks for the info, guys. These tires are meaty in person.

PS - and no, im not taking out my springs. the stance is sex :biggrin:

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door