GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whats inside my RNS 510

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
Thought I'd open the thing up and have a look seeing I think I've stuffed it.

Attachments

• Inside RNS.JPG
    Inside RNS.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 5,214
  • Inside RNS (2).JPG
    Inside RNS (2).JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 3,265
  • Inside RNS (3).JPG
    Inside RNS (3).JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 4,821
  • Inside RNS (5).JPG
    Inside RNS (5).JPG
    144 KB · Views: 5,549
Last edited:

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
feck look at all them gubbins and doodads!

I was sure it would be a tiny sleeping goblin with a compass, etch-a-sketch and an iPod nano!

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
The hard drive is the same as ones for laptops so would be easy to upgrade

Not that easy, it's a special drive for cars and upgrading the drive is hard as the unit uses non standard file systems etc. I have some info around somewhere which I'll put up on my website soon, keep forgetting to post it.

ApexTwin

expert knob twiddler
How'd you stuff it?

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
The vagom is saying I have a short to ground and until I get another unit to plug into my car and see I can't be sure but anyway the cause was when I put dynamat in and the 2 pointy bits where wires connect to mid range in front right door touched the foil and have have no sound in that door since. If I reset fault and close radio controller quickly the speakers come alive for about 2 sec then cut out. Not to worry, it's only money. Might buy another one from tommy.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
The vagom is saying I have a short to ground and until I get another unit to plug into my car and see I can't be sure but anyway the cause was when I put dynamat in and the 2 pointy bits where wires connect to mid range in front right door touched the foil and have have no sound in that door since. If I reset fault and close radio controller quickly the speakers come alive for about 2 sec then cut out. Not to worry, it's only money. Might buy another one from tommy.

Did you run a cable from the right hand speaker output to the left hand door?

Also you'll get a fair bit back on the parts, things like hard drives, screens, cases etc for the RNS 510 are worth a bit on ebay.

GTI_SS

illektronik
Car(s)
APR Edition 30 GTI M

I have VCDS saying I've got 'shorts to ground' from certain speakers, but that's cause they're rewired. HU's can generate such a large output that I'd need several massive resistors, which get very hot I might add, behind the dash. I have no intention of fixing that.

My point is, VCDS saying there are 'shorts to ground' doesn't mean there's a problem with the RNS-510.

You do realise if you have any issues with the unit you might have a hard time proving you didn't cause it by opening the unit and voiding the warranty. Personal experience makes me think these units can be pretty twitchy.

Might be a great way to learn, but it's expensive if you stuff it up. How do you think you could have stuffed the internals of the RNS-510? Did you drop it?

GTI_SS

illektronik
Car(s)
APR Edition 30 GTI M
I also think it'd help if you had the right tools to check what wires are live and what they're sending. If you're not overly concerned about the money side of things, go visit Marty. If you're wanting to learn, his more than happy to explain it all along the way.

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
just chatted with Tommy and he's positive it's not the unit as he said if it was then all speakers wouldn't work not just 1 bank. As far as warranty I know it's something I did and I would never try to escape that point so at worst I just get another RNS ($1600 isn't that much to me).
Mav, I did run cable across but the RNS is too smart. It knows that speakers weren't connected so it has shut down front L + R outputs (I know this because when I pressed tone button I only had option for left and right. There was no fader like there usually is).

My only cheap option to be 100% is to have another unit to put in and if it works then I know it's the 510 I have.

Booba

Ready to race!
You did use a multimeter and test all your speaker cables to ground didn't you to see if they are shorted etc?

sikx5

Ready to race!
You certainly like taking things apart Badboy! Good work on trying to sort it yourself!

Also, did you take it apart on the carpet? Static electricity can easily destroy chipsets i've heard...

badboy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GOLF GTI MK V
Yes taken apart on carpet (brand new carpet too). I was at the point of giving up on it. It works fine still with same fault so i'll plod along. Defi boost gauge going in next week so I'm sure I'll do something there. Worst case senario i'll trade in for MKVI R golf. Start on that lol. I'm taking photos etc so it can help anyone in the future as a reference.

Last edited:

Logzy

Ready to race!
Not that easy, it's a special drive for cars and upgrading the drive is hard as the unit uses non standard file systems etc. I have some info around somewhere which I'll put up on my website soon, keep forgetting to post it.

Very easy to replace. Just make sure there are no partitions on the new HD so its all unallocated space then when you put the firmware system disc in it will create the partitions.

I just bought a new hd for mine plus a spare. Picked them up for US$53 each for a Toshiba 30GB Automotive grade HD.
The only reason i didnt go for a bigger one is i dont need it and price. Going up to a 40Gb doubled the price.

Those that are interested, read the vwnavi forums. All the information is there.