GOLFMKV

Don't buy Sears/Kenmore products

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I recently had a bad experience with something I bought at Sears and I wanted to tell you guys about it. Whenever A retailer does me wrong I make sure to tell everyone I can, hit them where it hurts.

So I am sure you are all familiar with the “Kenmore” brand that Sears sells. I was under the impression that this was a Sears brand made by Sears. I bought a Kenmore air purifier from Sears for the baby’s room. It worked fine at first, but the thing has started making terrible burning smells whenever we use it. It’s barely 3 months old. After I contacted Sears about it, their initial response was “ Sorry, it’s beyond 90 days, you can’t return it, call the manufacturer”. I was like, What?? This is a Kenmore appliance, it’s made by Sears right? Doesn’t Sears stand behind their products? It says on the website: satisfaction guaranteed. As it turns out, that’s just lip service. Sears doesn’t make anything and they certainly don’t stand behind the Kenmore name. They outsource that stuff to several dozen other companies, and they don’t stand behind the products at all. If it breaks after 3 months, they don’t care. Call the manufacturer. They only want to take your money and then be done with you. So now I am stuck with a broken 100 dollar air purifier that Sears won’t stand behind, made by some other company. Sears won’t even tell me who to call. They told me to read my manual. Like I still have it… Worst customer service in the world. Do you selves a favor and don’t buy anything from them.

You know when you go to the supermarket they have the store brands? That is what Kenmore is. It's the generic store brand made by someone else. You just don't know what you are getting.

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
Sears (the store) won't take it because they can't fix and repackage it beyond a certain point. the item has been used for too long so they can't safely say that the product is in like-new condition if they do take the return.

kenmore (the a large appliance manufacturer, even if it is affiliated/owned by sears, it's still a different branch of the company) i believe gives at least 1 year warranty on all their stuff. here's the website i found with all return/warranty links:

http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/nb_10153_12605_NB_CSHome

i really think you're over-reacting. this is pretty standard practice. i mean the store can't take it past a certain date for their own reasons, so after a while you need to contact the manufacturer.

edit:

oh and i don't work at sears or kenmore or for any retailer. just seriously think you're over-reacting a bit.

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Sears (the store) won't take it because they can't fix and repackage it beyond a certain point. the item has been used for too long so they can't safely say that the product is in like-new condition if they do take the return.

kenmore (the a large appliance manufacturer, even if it is affiliated/owned by sears, it's still a different branch of the company) i believe gives at least 1 year warranty on all their stuff. here's the website i found with all return/warranty links:

http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/nb_10153_12605_NB_CSHome

i really think you're over-reacting. this is pretty standard practice. i mean the store can't take it past a certain date for their own reasons, so after a while you need to contact the manufacturer.

edit:

oh and i don't work at sears or kenmore or for any retailer. just seriously think you're over-reacting a bit.
Kenmore does not make anything. They are the store brand.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5242413_tell-made-kenmore-appliance-sears.html

Sears does not manufacture any of its Kenmore appliances. This will help you figure out who made your appliance.

#

Sears branded appliance manufactured by many different companies.

Step 2 has the listing in numerical order.
Please let me know if I am missing any, Thanks!
#
Step 2

The first three digits of the model number is the manufacturer of the product. In the image the prefix is 795.XXXXXXXXX. Whice is made by LG Electronics and is a refrigerator.

Prefix, Manufacturer, Type
103 Roper Cooktop
106 Whirlpool Refrigerator, Air Conditioner
110 Whirlpool Washer, Dryer, Dishwasher
119 Royal Chief (Frigidaire), Roper(1) Cooktop, Range
126 Absocold Refrigerator
143 Monarch/Simpson
144 Trane
154 Whirlpool Cooktop, Range
155 Preway (Whirlpool) Range
174 Caloric
175 In-Sink-Erator Disposal
186 Haier Freezer
198 Whirlpool Freezer
233 Broan Vent Hood
253 Gibson (Frigidaire) Air Conditioner, Refrigerator
278 Roper (1) Oven, Microwave
292 Lennox Air Conditioner
335 Amana Range
336 Electrolux
342 York Air Conditioner
362 GE Range
363 GE Refrigerator, Dishwasher
401 Samsung Microwave
416 Carrier Air Conditioner
417 Kelvinator (Frigidaire)
464 GE
473 Hover
484 Fedders, Whirlpool Air Conditioner
562 Toshiba
564 Sanyo Microwave
565 Sanyo Microwave
566 Sanyo Microwave
568 Panasonic
575 Sharp
580 Goldstar (LG Electronics)
586 Panasonic
587 DM (Frigidaire) Dishwasher
596 Amana Refrigerator
662 Kelvinator (Frigidaire)
628 Kelvinator (Frigidaire)
629 Jenn Air
647 Roper
651 Speed Queen Washer, Dryer
664 Whirlpool Cooktop, Oven
665 Whirlpool Dishwasher, Oven
666 Kitchen Aid Range
683 Philco washer
721 Goldstar (LG Electronics) Microwave
747 Litton Microwave
757 Ranney/Marvel, Imperial Freezer, Range
789 Defience Refrigerator
790 Frigidaire
791 Tappan (Frigidaire)
795 LG Electronics Refrigerator
835 Roper
840 Fridrich Air Conditioner
850 Preway (Whirlpool) Oven
867 Keeprite Air Conditioner
879 Rheem/Ruud
911 Roper (1)
917 Roper (Whirlpool) Range
925 Maycor (Maytag)
934 Hitachi
960 Caloric
970 Frigidaire

DT EXP

Chewing Gum & Kicking Azz
Car(s)
2009 TiG
My grandfather worked for Sears for some odd 30 years, and all my major buys are from them.. I trust them way more than any other retailer out there...

I'm not saying you didn't get bad customer service from whom ever you talked too, but to label Sears as whole as worst in the world is pretty far from the truth.

I think in the time it took you post your rant you could have googled Kenmore and got them on the phone to help you out..

ReflexMkV

mmmm Horse Pop
All retailers re-brand items....this is not some earth shattering news you have uncovered.

Customer service could have been more helpful but, you should have made yourself aware of the return policy BEFORE you bought the item.

Last edited:

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI

gman32888

stick noobie
Contact BBB- if Sears is ontop of their customer service you can be sure they will contact you. Many companies really take BBB complaints seriously.

Dell for instance. I purchased a brand new laptop from them. The X on my XPS fell off within the first month. They sent a technichian to my house who demolished my laptop. I called them and they sent me a brand new laptop. The shipping company dropped the box and the laptop wasn't working properly when I arrived. They said I cannot recieve a new laptop. I filed the complaint and had a brand new upgraded laptop within 3 weeks. I got a call from the head supervisor about eight times to make sure everything was going well with my purchase.

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
All retailers re-brand items....this is not some earth shattering news you have uncovered.

Customer service could have been more helpful but, you should have made yourself aware of the return policy BEFORE you bought the item.

I was aware of the return policy... This is what it says on thier website:

Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with your purchase. If for any reason you are not satisfied, simply return your purchase in its original packaging, with your receipt within 90 days of your purchase; 30 days for Home Electronics, Customized Jewelry and Mattresses for a refund or exchange. Video Games, CD, DVD must be unopened for a refund or exchange. If you are not satisfied with your purchase after these time periods, please let us know. Your satisfaction is important to Sears.

An appliance that breaks after 3 months is bullshit.
Any company worth a damn would have responded like this:

"We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with a Sears/Kenmore appliance. At Sears we stand behind our products and take issues like this very seriously. We want to make sure that you are 100% satisfied with our products. Please send back the defective unit and we will replace it, free of charge.”

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
My grandfather worked for Sears for some odd 30 years, and all my major buys are from them.. I trust them way more than any other retailer out there...

I'm not saying you didn't get bad customer service from whom ever you talked too, but to label Sears as whole as worst in the world is pretty far from the truth.

I think in the time it took you post your rant you could have googled Kenmore and got them on the phone to help you out..

I already contacted their customer service twice. This was their response:

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting sears.com regarding your order, 79571811.

We apologize, the item can not be returned as your purchase is over 90 days old. Kenmore is a brand name, and not a manufacture. We recommend that you check your owners manual for specific warranty information. In your owners manual you should also find contact information.

We appreciate your business and regret that we were unable to assist you further with this item.

Look for Great Ideas throughout the store and find Sears exclusive innovations from great brands like Sony, Kenmore, NordicTrack, Craftsman and Reebok.

Shop www.sears.com now to pick up great products for the season.

Renee L.
Sears Customer Care
webcenter@customerservice.sears.com
1-800-349-4358

This says: Piss off, we don't want to talk to you, call someone else. It's an unacceptable response.

AdvanSuper

Banned
"We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with a Sears/Kenmore appliance. At Sears we stand behind our products and take issues like this very seriously. We want to make sure that you are 100% satisfied with our products. Please send back the defective unit and we will replace it, free of charge.”

Maybe in a perfect world but not everything is that easy. Take it to Sears tell them the problem.

DanSan

meerkat
Car(s)
06' TR GTI/09 UG GTI
No offense but i think your over reacting..

I work for a MAJOR electronics retailer and i see this same situation happen time after time. People come in yelling, screaming and proclaiming how they will never shop here again yet usually never get anywhere and just end up bending over and accepting it. Granted we have our "own brand" products we do though take care of warranty items in the store. Lets say you purchase "our brand" dvd player and it breaks we either exchange it in the store (if its within manufactures warranty and were in a good mood.) or we send it out to our service center to get repaired for free.

I dont think Sears has a "service center" quite like ours so they probably usually just make you send things directly to the manufacture.

What you fail to realize is Sear's is in the business to make money, that's why anybody starts up a business. They've determined that its not probably a smart financial decision and decided against it. They would love to help a customer out but keep in mind they need to make smart business decisions without giving away the farm

WickedLou9

I'm a geek
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Why would they replace it after 90 days when the return policy is for 90 days?

Because it's good business to treat your customers well so they come back and buy something else? Go ask LL Bean.

LL bean will take back any product they sell for any reason no matter how long you have had it. If you buy a backpack from them and after 2 years a strap breaks, return it and they will replace it for free.

Now I am going to shop somewhere else, so they saved themselves some small amount of money by not replacing my item, but they lost 100% of future sales from me.
You know what I did in this case? I went to Target and spent another 120 bucks on an air purifier from another brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.