GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Members Area > Off-topic / Misc. > The Sports Lounge

Old 03-29-2009, 05:47 AM   #1
GTICrazy90
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2000 Acura tl
Send a message via AIM to GTICrazy90
THE FORMULA 1 THREAD

Dunno if there is any other thread and im really lazy to search right now cause im about to knock out. Anyone in here watch formula one?? First race of the season was today!
GTICrazy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
Rev2Ten-K
Banned

Drives: 4 wheelers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTICrazy90 View Post
Dunno if there is any other thread and im really lazy to search right now cause im about to knock out. Anyone in here watch formula one?? First race of the season was today!

Talk about a surprise huh?!! A month ago Honda was about to break up their crew. Today, because of Ross Brawn who bought the team, they finished 1 and 2 in the first race of the year! Kinda crazy how things work sometimes.
Rev2Ten-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
FIJIParisi
GO FINS!

Drives: '07 BMP GTI 6MT
Send a message via AIM to FIJIParisi Send a message via Yahoo to FIJIParisi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2Ten-K View Post
Talk about a surprise huh?!! A month ago Honda was about to break up their crew. Today, because of Ross Brawn who bought the team, they finished 1 and 2 in the first race of the year! Kinda crazy how things work sometimes.
BAH I didn't watch the race yet... way to post the results in the 2nd post lol...

Oh well, I'm still gonna watch it later...

F1 FTW!

FIJIParisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
KingOfJericho
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 135i ZMP
Send a message via AIM to KingOfJericho
Come on Fiji... you had to expect that a thread titled "FORMULA 1 THREAD" would contain spoilers, especially immediately following the first race of the season. Maybe the title could be changed to include "SPOILERS" to prevent this in the future.

Today's race was amazing and I am soooo happy for the whole Brawn GP team. I was a little disappointed when Kubica and Vettels took themselves out as they're 2 of my favorite drivers but I was still very happy with the outcome.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that the field is more mixed than previous years thanks to the new rules. It's great to have some new colors on the podium.
KingOfJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
richcreek
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: BMP 4Dr GTI 2007
It was a good race, but it was very disappointing for the old "Big hitters" like ferrari and MB.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
festivus
Nooblinger

Drives: A car
Fuck those jerks. Where's Minardi?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
Rev2Ten-K
Banned

Lol, what's wrong with posting the results to a race that already ended? Sorry if I spoiled the results for those who didn't see it. I got in late last night and it was on live at 4:30 in the morning. I didn't think about the re-air. My b.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
heftylefty
golfmkv elitist -_-

Drives: 00' Audi A6 Avant
Quote:
Originally Posted by richcreek View Post
It was a good race, but it was very disappointing for the old "Big hitters" like ferrari and MB.
i wouldnt say disappointing. hamilton did WORK on that race...18th to 3rd is pretty damn impressive. granted the crash on the 3rd to last lap helped him alot too...speaking of that, wtf was Vettel thinking? that crash shouldnt have happened. sucks the race had to end with a safety car, but it was a great opening season race.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Rev2Ten-K
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heftylefty View Post
i wouldnt say disappointing. hamilton did WORK on that race...18th to 3rd is pretty damn impressive. granted the crash on the 3rd to last lap helped him alot too...speaking of that, wtf was Vettel thinking? that crash shouldnt have happened. sucks the race had to end with a safety car, but it was a great opening season race.

Yeah Hamilton started almost dead last (other then the 2 toyotas) and ended up 4th I believe, not 3rd. Trulli got 3rd. I remember them talking about 2 of the oldest drivers in F1 are on the podium. Still a great great race for him to even pick up points though.

And as the announcer was saying "the best finish ever for a Red Bull car is 3rd......ohhhhhh they touch, they touch!" (Spin, spin, crash) Lol
Old 03-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
heftylefty
golfmkv elitist -_-

ya he ended in 4th but trulli eventually got a safety car violation so that gave him a penalty which knocked him down pretty far, atleast thats according the F1 site...crazy drama haha
Old 03-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
KingOfJericho
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
granted the crash on the 3rd to last lap helped him alot too...speaking of that, wtf was Vettel thinking? that crash shouldnt have happened.
I think Kubica should take the blame for that one... there were 3 laps left and Vettels tires were clearly going so I don't think he needed to be that aggressive at that point in the race.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
richcreek
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: BMP 4Dr GTI 2007
Quote:
Very true. It was a really good race, but I dont believe ferrari got any points?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #13
turboed
Low Blinker Fluid

Drives: MKV GTI
What a great race, big congrats to Brawn, I am anxious to see if they still have the pace at Malaysia.

Vettel did all he could but the tire diff is huge so Kubica was eventually going to pass him anyway, I just think he picked the wrong corner to do so and thus both of them crashed out. I can't believe they penalized Vettel for the next race for causing the crash, he had nowhere to go and Kub was trying to pass on the outside! i agree with the fine, he should have just pulled over with how damaged his car was.

Trulli also had a great race starting from the pit late but passed under the safety car at the end of the race and was penalized 25 seconds so he dropped to 12th.

This was one of the few races that was at a reasonable hour to it was cool to watch it live, that prob won't be happening anytime soon.

On to Malaysia, only 5 days away.
turboed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
Remus6
ViVa La Fuga!WLF

Drives: Yamaha YZF R6S SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by richcreek View Post
Wouldn't Brawn racing technically be one of the "big hitters" since they are sporting a Mercedes engine? I mean they are not the factory race team, but they are part of the big hitters, I feel.

Great race though. I actually stayed up last night to watch the race. Good stuff!
Remus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
KingOfJericho
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remus6 View Post
Wouldn't Brawn racing technically be one of the "big hitters" since they are sporting a Mercedes engine? I mean they are not the factory race team, but they are part of the big hitters, I feel.
So Torro Rosso and Force India are also "big hitters?"
Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 AM   #16
Myfast_GTI
Super User

Drives: Silver
Send a message via AIM to Myfast_GTI
One of the best F1 races I've seen in a while... especially in the final 10 laps or so. Kubica came down on Vettle, he had no where to go... but in the same instance, Vettel's super-soft tires were pretty much done for. Vettel is definitely a driver to keep our eyes on.
Myfast_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #17
KingOfJericho
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfast_GTI View Post
Vettel is definitely a driver to keep our eyes on.
Agreed. I said all last year that with a competitive car he is a force to be reckoned with.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 AM   #18
GTICrazy90
FIA GT Newbie

I'm a ferrari fan and can't change anything about that. Mad that they didnt get to finish the race. This race was pretty good, but can't say there hasn't been a good one in a while. The end of last season was pretty amazing. Also what are your guys opinions on these cars?? Honestly, i love the older ones better, looks wise and it just looked so technically advanced. These current cars have like no rear end grip.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:07 AM   #19
heftylefty
golfmkv elitist -_-

this thread is in need of some music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMUGzGzmGJs
Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 AM   #20
KingOfJericho
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTICrazy90 View Post
Also what are your guys opinions on these cars?? Honestly, i love the older ones better, looks wise and it just looked so technically advanced. These current cars have like no rear end grip.
They're ugly. They had that quick interview with Alonso before the race talking about the new rules and new cars and he said pretty frankly "the cars are ugly." That pretty much sums it up. The rear wing looks silly and the front wing looks like a buffet table.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #21
gmakdaddy
Yummy

Drives: 4 Door TR GTI
I do not believe that Vettel is getting spanked with a 10 spot starting grid penalty in the next race because of Kubica closing down on him. Last time I checked he was on the inside and already on the curb where was he to go? What was up with the first safety car period? If was something you'd see in a Nascar race...
The big wigs at Honda have to be pissed about the reace results and basically giving the team away for nothing. It makes me chuckle.
gmakdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:34 PM   #22
GTICrazy90
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakdaddy View Post
The big wigs at Honda have to be pissed about the reace results and basically giving the team away for nothing. It makes me chuckle.
People keep saying this, but there is one thing to consider, if Honda was in the F1 race, then most likely they would be using their own engines and these Brawn racers would not be racing with Mercedes engines. I know the engines are pretty similar because of all the restrictions, but still do you think Honda would have done that well with their engines.