GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Members Area > Off-topic / Misc.
Eurotek Tuning

Old 01-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #3807
avenali312
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2015 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiRiS View Post
Waitaminute. Isn't there a recall for the shifter, but not the cable? It sounds to me like this stealership wants your money more than they care about your car. (or your health)
No recall that I know of. I'm not sure if they ever pushed a TSB through or not, but this is specifically for the "Error: Service Vehicle. Only leave vehicle in P position!" message that a bunch of people were getting.

I saw the new shifter sitting in the box on the passenger seat when I went out to get my work keyfob out of the car, so I don't doubt that they were going to replace it if they needed to.

I think what happened is that they tested the shifter with the cable detached and realized it's fine and that the cable is probably binding in some way.

Quote:
Also, how *is* the Atlas? Looks great.
It's super comfy and there's a ton of room. If I had a bunch of kids, I'd definitely consider one if I needed the space. It's a base model 4 cylinder, so it's a bit slow for its size. Also, it shuts down when you come to a stop, and while I know that's common these days, I'm not a huge fan since the restart has a jerk to it and isn't seamless. I'm sure that's nothing a little OBD11 couldn't code out though (it might be a menu option, but I didn't RTFM haha).
I don't have pictures or directions, it was pretty neat though.
avenali312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #3808
ZiRiS
Sergeant

Drives: '08 BMP GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by avenali312 View Post
No recall that I know of. I'm not sure if they ever pushed a TSB through or not, but this is specifically for the "Error: Service Vehicle. Only leave vehicle in P position!" message that a bunch of people were getting.

I saw the new shifter sitting in the box on the passenger seat when I went out to get my work keyfob out of the car, so I don't doubt that they were going to replace it if they needed to.

I think what happened is that they tested the shifter with the cable detached and realized it's fine and that the cable is probably binding in some way.

It's super comfy and there's a ton of room. If I had a bunch of kids, I'd definitely consider one if I needed the space. It's a base model 4 cylinder, so it's a bit slow for its size. Also, it shuts down when you come to a stop, and while I know that's common these days, I'm not a huge fan since the restart has a jerk to it and isn't seamless. I'm sure that's nothing a little OBD11 couldn't code out though (it might be a menu option, but I didn't RTFM haha).
I stand corrected, Sir. Carry on.

Yeah, if I had a whole mess of young kids, it'd be great. But my kids are all grown up with kids of their own. I think I'll stick with my MkV GTI.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
ZiRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #3809
merkeyterkey
The Real FLATTIRE

Drives: GTI
I don't like the look of the Atlas
merkeyterkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #3810
merkeyterkey
The Real FLATTIRE

My timing belt tensioner is squeaking like a madman on my MKV, how difficult is it to replace?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #3811
ZiRiS
Sergeant

I don't know about difficulty, but it is definitely urgent. You REALLY don't want your timing belt breaking. Mine broke about 30,000 miles early because of a bad/noisy tensioner, and my mechanic told me I can have all new heads for $3k or a whole new engine for $5k, all before labor. After labor was added-in to the new engine, it was over $9000. Definitely get that replaced ASAP!

Old 02-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #3812
merkeyterkey
The Real FLATTIRE

Quote:
I don't know about difficulty, but it is definitely urgent. You REALLY don't want your timing belt breaking. Mine broke about 30,000 miles early because of a bad/noisy tensioner, and my mechanic told me I can have all new heads for $3k or a whole new engine for $5k, all before labor. After labor was added-in to the new engine, it was over $9000. Definitely get that replaced ASAP!

Hm, good point.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #3813
bon qui qui
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '06 GTI / '17 Taco
Quote:

bon qui qui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #3814
ZiRiS
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon qui qui View Post
That's what I said!

Old 02-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #3815
eurocars
5/17/15 - Never forget

Send a message via AIM to eurocars
Just scored an 02Q (MKV 6-speed) for $130 at the junkyard today. They are NEVER there and the only thing holding it up was 6 axle bolts. Easiest trans pull ever.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #3816
merkeyterkey
The Real FLATTIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocars View Post
Just scored an 02Q (MKV 6-speed) for $130 at the junkyard today. They are NEVER there and the only thing holding it up was 6 axle bolts. Easiest trans pull ever.
Buy why tho
Old 02-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #3817
eurocars
5/17/15 - Never forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkeyterkey View Post
Buy why tho
Because mine will probably go boom in the near future (I didnt build it up at all, its all stock) and an ok condition used one is atleast $400. I figure if I never need it, I can turn around and easily triple my money into it or if I do need it I have a spare ready to go. Plus you NEVER see them in a DIY junk yard so I grabbed it just because.

I have lots of random junkyard parts i'll never use but are cool or can be re-sold for a profit. I probably go to a yard every two weeks or so just to poke around and look for random stuff I might need. My next project will be to design an electomechanical steering system to retrofit into other cars that uses a GM steering column. Hoping to test fit it on my DD MK4 and keep the cost at under $100 by using junk parts. Save some fuel by deleting P/S, make it into a kit that can be sold and have cool parts on my own car
Old 02-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #3818
avenali312
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2015 GTI
Quote:
I stand corrected, Sir. Carry on.
Just to follow up on the new shifter cable in my MK7. They installed it. Something still wasn't right, so they installed the new shifter mechanism as well. New shifter and cable! Smooth as butter now.
I don't have pictures or directions, it was pretty neat though.
avenali312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #3819
merkeyterkey
The Real FLATTIRE

Do ya'll need anything 3D printed? I'm anticipating a slow day tomorrow, it would give me something to do...
Old 02-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #3820
bon qui qui
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '06 GTI / '17 Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocars View Post
Because mine will probably go boom in the near future (I didnt build it up at all, its all stock) and an ok condition used one is atleast $400. I figure if I never need it, I can turn around and easily triple my money into it or if I do need it I have a spare ready to go. Plus you NEVER see them in a DIY junk yard so I grabbed it just because.

I have lots of random junkyard parts i'll never use but are cool or can be re-sold for a profit. I probably go to a yard every two weeks or so just to poke around and look for random stuff I might need. My next project will be to design an electomechanical steering system to retrofit into other cars that uses a GM steering column. Hoping to test fit it on my DD MK4 and keep the cost at under $100 by using junk parts. Save some fuel by deleting P/S, make it into a kit that can be sold and have cool parts on my own car
People use saturn vue (HHR is the same IIRC) parts for that. Electric power steering has has issues in performance applications, but for what you're looking for it should be fine.
bon qui qui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #3821
Joshohol
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 07 Candy White Gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon qui qui View Post
People use saturn vue (HHR is the same IIRC) parts for that. Electric power steering has has issues in performance applications, but for what you're looking for it should be fine.
Chevy cobalt, pontiac g6, anything on those smaller chassis run the eps setups

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Joshohol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #3822
eurocars
5/17/15 - Never forget

I planned to pull mine out of a Saturn Vue. Local yard has 3-4 on hand at all times and the column is only ~$30
Old 02-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #3823
JanK
WilltherealFLATTIREplease

Drives: 09' MkV GTI
Quote:
Do ya'll need anything 3D printed? I'm anticipating a slow day tomorrow, it would give me something to do...
print 3d bitcoins, sell on reddit for big moneys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_fast View Post
oh and half you in here should not reproduce
JanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #3824
merkeyterkey
The Real FLATTIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanK View Post
print 3d bitcoins, sell on reddit for big moneys.
Where have you been?
Old 02-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #3825
eurocars
5/17/15 - Never forget

I wish i would have seen your 3D print post. I have a few random things I’d like to try test fitting. My boss is going to buy a printer soon so we can make stuff for his motorcycle
Old 02-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #3826
JanK
WilltherealFLATTIREplease

Drives: 09' MkV GTI
Quote:
Where have you been?
Here and there, I come by sometimes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_fast View Post
oh and half you in here should not reproduce
JanK is offline   Reply With Quote