GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My F23T build having issues

GTIfox101

Ready to race!
My F23T build having issues UPDATED(1/27/2018)

I'll just with all my supporting mods I have and then I get to the nitty gritty.

APR turbo back exhaust, APR FMIC, APR RFD, forge twintake, unitronic DV relocation kit, APR HPFP, S3 injectors, DV+, RS4 prv, Frankturbo f23t, and golf R map sensor.

Back in September I finally got around to getting my F23t installed as well as other supporting mods. I ended up having a guy who specializes in eurodyne tunes to make a custom tune for my car. Got it dyno'd and everything. Literally the very next day after I got it back I had very bad cold starts and rough idle for the first minute after the car was turned on after it had been sitting for awhile. Then a check engine light came on saying I had misfires in all 4 cylinders. The coils and spark plugs were brand new and gapped to spec. After it warmed it drive fine, but the engine light still was on.

Now I finally got it into the shop to see if they can see what the problem is. I've been told many things like the injectors are too big for that turbo by the shop tech and even Doug himself said that was bullshit. He also added that he didn't believe that the golf r map sensor played nice with those tunes and may not even be necessary. It's been almost 4 weeks and still no luck with getting it to pass emissions or getting the rough starts to go away.

Is there any truth to my injectors being to big for the turbo or that eurodyne tunes dont play nice with some of my supporting mods??? Just trying to see if someone has any ideas to what's going on because the guys at the shop can't see to figure it out.

UPDATED!!!!!!(1/27/2018)
I want to bump this thread because I'm running into a different problem. They got a APR K04 tune to work with my turbo without the s3 injectors and was able to pass emissions. Car starts fine after fixing a boost leak I got, but now I'm running into a different problem. So upon cold start when I start driving it kind of sputters when just on normal acceleration. It boosts fine up to 25PSI for about maybe 5 minute and then all of sudden it wont go past 8PSI. Im also getting shitty gas milage. Boost leaks have been ruled out. MAF sensor??? I cleaned it out. Could still be faulty. New plugs were gapped and installed. Thoughts???

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
RFD, S3 injectors and the 3bar MAP are things your tuner would have to have specifically known about and tuned for. RFD will cause cold start issues if not tuned for.

Mjbmkv098

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Gti
I have s3 injector on my frankenturbo so that's bull shit right there and my buddy has the same turbo with the gold r map sensor with no problem hope you get it figured out loving the turbo went threw some trouble at first with mine over boosting all good now

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have s3 injector on my frankenturbo so that's bull shit right there and my buddy has the same turbo with the gold r map sensor with no problem hope you get it figured out loving the turbo went threw some trouble at first with mine over boosting all good now

Combination of turbo and map sensor is about tuning. All of the stuff he has can work together if the car is tuned for it. If someone just pulled off a generic K04 tune and put it on his car it may not take into consideration his hardware is the problem I think but you are right stuff should work.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Probably the RFD if this is just cold start issues.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
How did I miss this one? I ran rs4s and didnt have a problem. Did you end up figuring this out?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

f0ggy987

I have the same issue.

Editted to add: Mine started before I had the F23T and was still on the K03. Actually started right after doing a valve cleaning, during which time I also installed the RFD.

The idle smooths out as soon as O2 corrections kick in after about ~45 seconds. It's like a switch.

I think it's either the RFD or I have a small boost/vacuum leak that the fuel trims correct for. I did a smoke test but didn't find anything. Going to get hold of a compressor to do a 'proper' boost leak test.

I've asked around but no one has definitively told me how to tune for the RFD in Maestro. I zero'd out the charge flap control map but not sure what else needs to be done.

Disconnecting my MAF fixes the idle issue for me. I swapped the MAF and the problem persisted.

Last edited:

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm i remember when i first installed my manifold and had my f23 it used to always do that. Installed big turbo and no more problems... but that could be due in part to not having a maf.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

GTIfox101

Ready to race!
I never got this figured out. Shop believed it may have been a stuck injector, but still no luck.

Waffle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GLI
Tuning the RS4 injectors to work without the I take manifold flaps takes a bit of work. After 100 miles on a tune that ran too rich on startup, I needed to swap the spark plugs. The fix was to adjust air/fuel during startup before 02 corrections kicked in. Just make sure you put good plugs in or you'll be chasing your tail like I did.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

GTIfox101

Ready to race!
Tuning the RS4 injectors to work without the I take manifold flaps takes a bit of work. After 100 miles on a tune that ran too rich on startup, I needed to swap the spark plugs. The fix was to adjust air/fuel during startup before 02 corrections kicked in. Just make sure you put good plugs in or you'll be chasing your tail like I did.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

I'm using S3 injectors by the way. What plugs do you suggest using and what gap???

kakluote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi TT K04
wondering how much more power can f23t provide than k04