GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrading head unit to add Apple Car Play.

Cabra

Ready to race!
Im considering upgrading my MKV Gti head unit to something that has built in bluetooth and car play. Like the Sony XAV-AX100

Anyone have any experience with such an upgrade ?
In particular how it would work with the steering wheel controls ?

Thanks !

skibby

I installed the Sony XAV AX200.

I used the AerPro fascia kit which I'm not happy with. Later, I'll get my hands on the American International one which allegedly looks a bit better.

Steering wheel controls: Volume up and down work fine. I haven't used the Star or Phone button, but in the head unit it can be configured.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
I installed a Pioneer 5100 NEX in my car a couple years back. Cliffs version: Depending on the control module used (mine is an older Metra), YES you will be able to move forward and backward through tracks and volume up/down. I have to go to the playlist select to switch playlists unless I use the general all songs part. In which case I have to deal with having all my music present. It's a pain in the ass when I'm looking for one specific song among 200.

Volume +/- does volume +/-
Arrow up/down does track up/down
Star does (on mine) what's called ATT which is quieting, but not quite mute.
Phone does nothing cause on NA cars it's disabled. There IS a way to enable it if you have VAGCom and time

If I remember correctly I went with a Metra kit this time for this deck, it looks pretty close to factory aside the marbling of the plastic. The coating is similar soft touch to the rest. I'd rate it a solid 8.5/10 for accuracy.