GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC and CEL lights on, car shuts off on freeway.

PlaidHatter

Insert Witty Title Here
Car(s)
Audi A3 S-Line
Tried searching, but can't really find anything that fits this specifically.
I was on my way to work this morning, and at about 15 miles in the car suddenly loses power on the freeway. I pull over and notice the EPC and CEL are on, and the car won't start. I've read that the EPC light will come on if there's a bad crankshaft sensor as well as a few other things, and that the car will sometimes come back on, and mine is not.
The car has been towed to a mechanic now and I'm waiting on word back. Just trying to see what I can diagnose on my own in the mean time.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
Which engine have you got? This is exactly what happened when my timing chain in the engine went on my 06 2.0 FSI. If it cranks but won't turn over this is a possibility.

tedted

One day @89k miles I turned my car on, literally went up the street and while waiting at a redlight my car quietly shut off and the CEL/EPC came on as well. It turned out my timing chain snapped. Called VWoA and they warrantied anything/everything that touched the chain as long as I had documentation that the car was less than 120k miles. I had to front the bill but once I sent VWoA the documents, they over nighted me a check.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
One day @89k miles I turned my car on, literally went up the street and while waiting at a redlight my car quietly shut off and the CEL/EPC came on as well. It turned out my timing chain snapped. Called VWoA and they warrantied anything/everything that touched the chain as long as I had documentation that the car was less than 120k miles. I had to front the bill but once I sent VWoA the documents, they over nighted me a check.

I tried this too, they didn't do it for me so I took it to a local mechanic. I was severely disappointed since it was likely caused by the failed PCV which didn't get repaired until after the damage was done to the seals and other crap.

tedted

Thats what I had to do as well. The car was originally at the dealership but they didnt want to touch the car and basically was pushing a new engine without even doing a basic diagnostic. Took it to the local mechanic and once they tore it down gave me the run down thats when I called VWoA. I paid the shop then VW paid me.

PlaidHatter

Insert Witty Title Here
Car(s)
Audi A3 S-Line
It's the FSI motor. Mechanic called just a bit ago, turned out it was indeed the timing chain. Going to do the timing belt while it's there along with a few other small things, then I think it's time to sell the car. I love the car and love that it's finally paid off but I think it's time for a larger family car. I've been dumping a lot of money into this car for maintenance the past couple years.