GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI gear ratios

ygohome

Ready to race!
couldn't you also cause predetonation or pinging if you gas it at a low speed in a higher gear such as 6th while going 40 mph or below and then stomping on it?

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
moved

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Thanks, that's great information. It's interesting that the manual and 'automatic' are so similar. In other makes, autos have more conservative ratios.

The DSG is an automated manual trans. As such, it has no torque converter. Traditional automatics use torque converters, which is the reason they can get away with taller ratios.

VWMk5GTi

I actually already made KPH tables per a previous request. Didn't notice you were in OZ or I would've pointed you to them in the first place. :oops:

Hey grasshopper, thanks for the tables :)

I thought this would be a good way to measure the accuracy of my speedo.

EDIT: just noticed down the bottom of the tables that these figures are based on the same tyre size as I have (225/40R18), but I'm a little confused at the tyre circumference which shows 1822mm. I've measured mine to be around 1970mm; maybe I'd doing something wrong. In any case the figures on the left in the table above seem a little on the high side but anyway, this is how I measured mine:

1. measure the outside circumference of the tyre on the drive axle using a tape measure; in my case this figure is 197cm (or 77.559 inches)
2. divide the engine RPM (eg, 2500) by final gear ratio (3.14 on DSG) = 796.178 rpm (wheel speed)
3. multiply the wheel speed (796.178) by tyre circumference (77.559) = 61750.84 (INCHES travelled PER MINUTE)

4. divide this figure by 12 to get FEET travelled PER MINUTE (FPM) ie. 61750.84 divided by 12 = 5145.90 FPM
6. multiply FPM by 60 to get FEET PER HOUR (FPH) ie: 60812.1 x 60 = 308754.2 (FPH)
7. divide FPH by 5280 (ie: 5280 feet = 1 mile) = 58.476 mph (approx 94.11kmh)

OR

to get there quicker, there are 39,370 inches in 1 km which, in my example, translates to 1.568 km per minute; multiply that by 60 to get kmh.

ie: when cruising @ 2500rpm in 6th I should be doing 94kmh.

Last edited:

VWMk5GTi

the gears need to be longer or @least 6th gear should rev the car much lower than it is now.

ah ok.

actually my motor's (and DSG gearbox) kinda had a re-flash upgrade and instead of the normal 197hp/205lb-ft its got 250HP/270lb-ft.

I guess that's where the differences are and should've taken that into account, my bad.

Last edited: