GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Weird, Nearly Hopeless Issue (Fuel Smell Through Vents and More)

Sharkshark

Hey all,

I made a thread here http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198809 a while back, and wanted to reach out again after attempting several fixes for an issue I've been having.

My car is a 2007 GTI with DSG, and a bit over 110k miles now. This issue started soon after getting an APR remap, though switching back to stock does not resolve the issues.

There's an intense fuel smell pouring through the air vents under heavy acceleration, idle is rough when starting cold (sounds like it was cammed, or something), and it will spontaneously go into limp mode after idling / coasting for too long (P2177, lean idle, though the error will often be missing while in limp mode). Occasionally will receive P0299 (Underboost), though I haven't seen this for a while.

One thing to note is that it will fail a test for fuel supply using VCDS (basic settings > fuel supply), but everything else passes.

Fixes tried include:

Replaced front / rear breather (Rear had a tear through the diaphragm)
Cleaned intake valves (they were atrocious)
Replaced fuel filter (it was incredibly old, and makes me wonder if it caused a fuel line to rupture / crack somewhere)
Injector seal replacement
MAF replacement
New intake (Now a Neuspeed P-Flo)
Rev D diverter valve
R8 coil packs and new plugs

Additionally, the car has a stage I APR remap, and a neuspeed crank pulley. A fuel test was done for the LPFP, showing the pressure was fine, though volume is on the low end. We've also smoked the engine more times than I can count. Exhaust system is entirely stock, if that matters.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
From your other post.

"The smell is immediate when applying throttle over 50%, if that helps to diagnose the issue."

This still the case?

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Exhaust leak?

Sharkshark

Okay, sorry to bump. I can barely find any info on this, but this is the only test which fails for me in VCDS.

Engine will shutter repeatedly, smooth out, then display "System Not OK".

The only bit of information I could find was completely irrelevant and of no use for my situation.

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards bad O2 sensor or an exhaust leak at the manifold.

Thank you for your help thus far!

Sharkshark

Probably the last bump, but recently I saw a P0191 pop-up. I checked and it's the black fuel-pressure sensor, instead of the current orange one in use for the BPY engines. I haven't seen the code since, but I plan on changing this next, unless anyone has other ideas?

Also, no exhaust leak, o2 sensors are fine (from what the shop told me). Additionally, my mileage has gone to hell. ~13 mpg city, ~19 mpg highway.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06F-907-115-AXX.clb
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 907 115 H HW: 8P0 907 115 B
Component and/or Version: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0030
Software Coding: 0403010A1C070160
Work Shop Code: WSC 22595 444 57633
VCID: 2B7BFFDC8A13CD1E0F-807E
2 Faults Found:

000401 - Fuel Pressure Sensor (G247)
P0191 - 001 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 184122 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 22:24:30

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Load: 0.0 %
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 98.0°C
Temperature: 48.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 950.0 mbar
Voltage: 12.065 V

008567 - Bank 1; System Too Lean off Idle
P2177 - 001 -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 184133 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 09:40:49

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 3323 /min
Load: 14.5 %
Speed: 110.0 km/h
Temperature: 81.0°C
Temperature: 19.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 950.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.843 V

Readiness: 0000 0001

These came up together, too.

Last edited:

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Doesn't look like you have tried replacing the charcoal canister.

Sharkshark

Doesn't look like you have tried replacing the charcoal canister.

Hmmm... This thought did come up before, though the shop I've been going to for almost a year now dismissed my suggestion.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3827851&postcount=3

Though after doing more researching on how they work, I can see how this may be causing the odor, though for the lean condition I'm unsure how that would work (excuse my ignorance).

Thanks for the suggestion! It's very much appreciated.