GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for an oil with less blow by..

helldiver14

Passed Driver's Ed
APR 2 08 FSI GTI and have been using Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Spec with not very good results. Have maybe 500 miles on the oil change and noticed I'm about a half quart low. I have a small oil leak at my forge spacer, but maybe 1 or two drips overnight. I've read around that people have issues with the Mobil 1 having more oil consumption than other brands. I have looked at Motul, Castrol and Moly. Which oil would you recommend to help with the oil consumption I am having with the Mobil 1?

P.S. If you could link the oil from ECS or such, please do so. It would be a great help!

A_granto1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 GTI
I have the same problem, when I first bought my car I never knew they consumed oil and on a road trip with some friends my MDF displayed "low oil, turn ignition off". So stranded late at night on a highway we walked about 2 miles to a gas station, bought the only oil they had (10w-30 dinosaur oil) and it was the cheapest, no name oil you could find. But I was in a pinch. So after walking back to my GTI I filled her up and continued on my way. I came to realize the dinosaur oil was never consumed....not sure why. I continue to run euro blend but would like to know what other people are using as well[emoji1474]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Worn rings and boost = blowby. Just the facts of life.

Choose an oil based on whats gonna keep the bearings happy and your second concern should be the hpfp cam follower. FSI seems to dump a lot of fuel in the oil along with blowby so a shorter oil change interval and a oil with a good additive package is the way to go.

wronghand

Passed Driver's Ed
Same problem with my 08. I've tried many different oil. Don't think oil make any difference. About 1 Qt per 1-1.2K miles. I've checked everything except piston rings.

A_granto1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 GTI
Not sure about helldiver but I'm 160k with revo stage 1...so I'm sure I have work rings. It's runs so good Id hate to mess with anything, I'll just keep topping off my oil while it's being consumed

wronghand

Passed Driver's Ed
Not sure about helldiver but I'm 160k with revo stage 1...so I'm sure I have work rings. It's runs so good Id hate to mess with anything, I'll just keep topping off my oil while it's being consumed

How much did yours consume per 1k miles?

A_granto1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk5 GTI
If I had to guess...I would say .5-1 quart. But I could be wrong, I just check it once a week and add it if needed

Looking for an oil with less blow by

Nah, same as every other car. Just drain, replace the filter... lube the o-ring on the new filter with oil. Install new filter, put the drain plug back in, and fill her up

5K recommended for sure though..