GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radio TSB - Fixes bass flare and power down problems

MKVCrowing

computer geek
Car(s)
2007 UG GTI DSG
just got mine done and can you say, "WAY BETTER!!!" :thumbup:

did you set up an appt with your dealer or did you just go in and have them fix it?

vlkswgnbgmn66

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Fahrenheit GTI #473
RADIO TSB

I kinda made an appointment. Lomg story short, I personally know the service advisor...

It's always better to give them a heads up that you are coming in. I usually make a list of things i need addressed and make sure when they can look at it fits my schedule. For this fix it should seriously take them no longer then an hour (get car dispatchced, repaired, and paper work all finished) if that's the only thing you are in there for.

That One Dude

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GTI DSG
I got this update done like a few weeks ago... Still not the best sound in the world but it atleast doesnt do that STUPID bass cutting and what not... I am an audio-phile and this sound system is not exactly the best I've heard.. I decided to not change the deck after all to my Eclipse CD-7000 lol! GOod thing too! Wouldve cost me some time and money to get that thing in just right... Just so you all know, incase you didnt... There are adapters out for the eclipse decks and varios others that will allow you to keep your Steering wheel controls... Pretty sweet! Anyway... I guess it goes back up on the shelf!

ZiRiS

Sergeant
Car(s)
'09 BMP GTI
Questions

I'm aware that I'm reviving a very old thread where the last post is almost 6 years ago.

I'm also aware that I posted on this same thread in 2008.

I had a different MKV then, (a 2007) and that was almost 9 years ago. Original warranties were still in effect then. I no longer have any real warranty left.

And I don't have a factory radio any more either.

I do, however, have the issue with the amp clipping. And something resembling the bass flare, but not near as bad as the first time I experienced this. It appears the previous owner(s) never bothered to get the software updates for the radio/amp.

At this late stage in the game, am I better off trying to replace the amp? How difficult is that to do? As it happens, I have an extra (after-market) amp available to possibly replace the factory amp with, if that's really even a good idea. Do I get a harness to preserve the factory harness and then plug that into my amp? (I'm picturing pig-tails.)

There's also a factory radio available for sale in the classifieds right now. Would that be a better option?

I guess what I'm asking is what quality is the factory amp vs what's available on the market right now. Moreover, is it worth trying to save the factory amp or am I really better off trying to replace it with aftermarket parts?