GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nightclub/ concert photography

motorhoney

Ready to race!
i just got the sigma 50. do you have any focusing problems with it?

its been back/front focusing on me a lot lately. kinda think i needa get it calibrated.

Which body are you using it on? When I do my little "tests" it will front/back focus no matter how hard I adjust it... but when I actually take real photos it just works... usually. Here's one I was impressed with - (view the original)

Flag girl by Erik Lauritsen, on Flickr

from that distance, at f/1.8, the DoF is pretty narrow but the 1D IIn NAILED it, even though it had been spotty with my little "tests", and that body does not allow for focus adjustment.

Any particular conditions you're noticing it having problems under? With the AF assist beam from the flash, and the otherwise dark "club", I usually get some razor-sharp and perfectly focused images... where as in natural light it may miss.

Last edited:

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
Which body are you using it on? When I do my little "tests" it will front/back focus no matter how hard I adjust it... but when I actually take real photos it just works... usually. Here's one I was impressed with - (view the original)

from that distance, at f/1.8, the DoF is pretty narrow but the 1D IIn NAILED it, even though it had been spotty with my little "tests", and that body does not allow for focus adjustment.

Any particular conditions you're noticing it having problems under? With the AF assist beam from the flash, and the otherwise dark "club", I usually get some razor-sharp and perfectly focused images... where as in natural light it may miss.

I'm using it on a 5d mkii. same with my "tests" haha and i've tried to microadjust but it only helps so much.

i should probably pull out my speedlight and use the assist beam to see if that helps. then i'll know if its the lens, or just user error (probably is.. haha)

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
1D III, Sigma 20 f/1.8, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 85 f/1.4, Canon 135 f/2L, 580 EX II

And, just recently, Sigma 70 f/2.8 Macro

That's a good line-up.

I've got the Sig 50mm too. Awesome bang for the buck.

Sig 85mm and the Canon 24 or 35mm L's are on my wishlist.

motorhoney

Ready to race!
That's a good line-up.

I've got the Sig 50mm too. Awesome bang for the buck.

Sig 85mm and the Canon 24 or 35mm L's are on my wishlist.

If you want a fast 24mm, check out Sigma's 24 f/1.8 - it gets nice and close and is a LOT cheaper. It may not be as "magical" as the 24L (very few lenses are) but it's pretty damn good - my buddy has one.

Also, after looking at shots from my old Canon 50 f/1.4, I'm a lot happier with how CLEAN the images are - VERY LITTLE "purple gunk" but a little less contrast and less-creamy bokeh. It's a trade off, I guess :( 50L, someday :D

Last edited:

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
Here's a few from the opening gig of Nightwish's 2012-2013 tour. All shot with the D7000 + 50mm f1.8G from the crowd. The rest can be found in my blog, link in my sig.