GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RNS510 Battery Drain

VolksTDI

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI MK V '04
Hi guys,

I've got a 04 Golf MKV TDI , with the standard RCD300 radio.
I was thinking (when i get some spare cash) of replacing the radio to a RNS510.

I've heard rumors about there being battery drain if i swap these over?
What additional kit would i need to get to solve this?

-------VolksTDI

penpal

Srs Bzns
Car(s)
07 GTI , 12 R, 18 R
you just need an updated canbus gateway to prevent the battery from being drained. most people just buy a new one, but i believe the canbus can be updated to be compatible with the rns. correct me if im wrong

VolksTDI

Car(s)
VW Golf TDI MK V '04
you just need an updated canbus gateway to prevent the battery from being drained. most people just buy a new one, but i believe the canbus can be updated to be compatible with the rns. correct me if im wrong

Oh right thanks for your reply,

Any idea of the prices of a new one.... Ballpark figure?

Eddie-NL

Passed Driver's Ed
Here in the UK the price for a CAN Gateway from the dealer is £142.40

I have them for less

Timvgti

Ready to race!
If you have a <2007 Golf, your gateway is to old for the new rns510 models.
There are 2 options:

1) Buy a original B model rns510. Put firmware 1200 (or lower) on it and this way you don't have the battery drain. (firmwares 0900,1100,1200 are all original B version firmwares)
The problem is that with newer firmwares 1300,26xx,27xx,3xxx, etc. the 'vuci files' are changed and can't 'talk' with the older gateways. So the rns510 won't go in standby after a couple of minutes and draines the battery.

2) Buy and install a new gateway (you also need vagcom to program it).
Version 1k0907530 (1k0 907 530) of L revision or higher is required.

I bought a original RNS 510 B version two weeks ago, with fw1200, installed it, used vagcom to program things like the mfsw and cd-changer and everything works fine. My MKV GTI is from 06-2005 with the original (E version) gateway. No powerdrain...

There is also a 3rd option going to test it myself next week:
3) There are modified FW26xx and FW27xx files with the vuci code from 1200.
I've downloaded a modified FW2760 with 1200 vuci.

Found here: http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/13672-Unofficial-272x-software-and-SWL-recovery-CD/page24

So you DON'T NEED A NEW GATEWAY (only if you really want the newest firmware or you can't find a B model)

Golf-V-GT

Burn the lies
But without 2660 and higher you dont have voice control , faster startup and Speed-limit display in the maps.With the newest FW you can create POIs by yourself :)

On (german) ebay the Gateways cost about 50 Euros !

I have a B with 2720...and a Gateway "Q"

Timvgti

Ready to race!
And if you install FW2760 with 1200 vuci (the 'newest' modified firmware with 1200vuci I could find on the net...)?
Would you miss things?

buckets

Ready to race!
2) Buy and install a new gateway (you also need vagcom to program it).
Version 1k0907530 (1k0 907 530) of L revision or higher is required.

Not exactly true Tim, I installed a revision C in an '05 golf here in Australia just recently and due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to gamble on a revision K gateway (the one I took out of my Jetta) . It worked fine, no power drain.

Timvgti

Ready to race!
you can try,but i think you will miss fast startup and voice control.

FW2760 features:
- Voice Control (requires microphone – see Volkswagen RNS 510 Microphone Connection for voice control)
- Speed Limit Display
- Stability Improvements
- Faster Startup (this has been improved on 2720)
- Display OPS and RVC at the same time
- SDHC 32 GB Support (HW04 and above)
- Display Off on extras tab
- Climatronic control if approriate climatronic fitted
- Clock display if RNS 510 swtiched off (buggy)
- Excluded roads (under route options)
- GPS coordinates entry
- Additional adjustments for video
- Larger RVC screen with transparent menus at the side

And yes: A new gateway is the best way to go, but if you want to save same money (at least 100 euro's?)...

Timvgti

Ready to race!
I live in The Netherlands, so could get one from Germany if needed...
But if I can use the modified 2760 with 1200 vuci without a newer gateway, I can spend the money on sometging else (like I still want oem xenon headlights or hella xenonlooks)

I've burned the fw2760 with 1200 vuci on a dvd, but haven't tried to install it yet...
(I still hesitate, because everything works 100%, also te 'vehicle in motion' to watch dvd's, because I used a special Berto89 vim recode cd. Not sure if things like this still work after the update. Main reasing for me to update is because I want the faster startup+speed limit display+display off+sdhc support)

Golf-V-GT

Burn the lies
If dvd free wont work after uptade you can easily downgrade it :)
And as if you have got the VIM Free cd,its no problem to recode it.Works on all FWs.

VIM/mp3/maps will only disappear with a factory FW update like the 2680...

My next and last upgrade will also be Xenons.have the Hella Celis Xenons now,but i want the original Bi-Xenons :)