GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Question about gaining grip (tire related)

miamirice

Ready to race!
I have not, how would I go about doing that? Thank you for the input man, this Iis uncharted territory for me.

I by no means, know much....only that it matters. I have a Honda Civic I race with a reverse stagger, wheel spacers and I stretch the fronts (205 on 9") onto a wider wheel. I have the luxury of having an alignment shop that caters to track/race cars and the shop has a very similar car too mine he races in another class but has helped me get to where I needed to be.

Here is one of the threads I have read through. I hope it helps, and also, FWIW....what FEELS faster/better often is not.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/29872-How-to-Measure-Scrub-Radius-amp-Ideal-Radius

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
I by no means, know much....only that it matters. I have a Honda Civic I race with a reverse stagger, wheel spacers and I stretch the fronts (205 on 9") onto a wider wheel. I have the luxury of having an alignment shop that caters to track/race cars and the shop has a very similar car too mine he races in another class but has helped me get to where I needed to be.

Here is one of the threads I have read through. I hope it helps, and also, FWIW....what FEELS faster/better often is not.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/29872-How-to-Measure-Scrub-Radius-amp-Ideal-Radius

Lol, at least you're honest! I've been doing a lot of reading lately on handling/tires sizes/suspension geometry/etc. What I really need to do is find a racing shop with the right equipment and knowledge and discuss my goals and get a better idea on how to achieve it. It takes a lot to setup a proper racecar! You are correct that wider is jot always better when it comes to tire. But I'm looking at TTRS spindle swaps, camber plates, adjustable ball joints, and lots more. With the correct suspension setup matched with an aggressively wide tire more grip and better handling can be achieved. It just takes a lot to get there.

miamirice

Ready to race!
Lol, at least you're honest! I've been doing a lot of reading lately on handling/tires sizes/suspension geometry/etc. What I really need to do is find a racing shop with the right equipment and knowledge and discuss my goals and get a better idea on how to achieve it. It takes a lot to setup a proper racecar! You are correct that wider is jot always better when it comes to tire. But I'm looking at TTRS spindle swaps, camber plates, adjustable ball joints, and lots more. With the correct suspension setup matched with an aggressively wide tire more grip and better handling can be achieved. It just takes a lot to get there.

Look for a shop/team that runs an mkv competitively. Maybe even APR. talk to them and pimp them for what they know. Most, not all, will be willing to help somebody that they don't perceive as a threat. They will give you a bases of where and how to spend your money. They will also get you there faster. Be specific about your goals too. I can run a faster qualifying lap when I toe out my fronts, but tire temps then become an issue 20 minutes into the race, so I gave up some turn-in for tire temp management when I went to 0 toe. If I were doing TT I would run a different alignment. All part of the equation. Just playing with alignment alone you will consume a year of track time if you go it alone. They will save you from buying the wrong stuff (like certain ball joints). I love the topic, It's half of what I enjoy about racing.

Last edited:

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Look for a shop/team that runs an mkv competitively. Maybe even APR. talk to them and pimp them for what they know. Most, not all, will be willing to help somebody that they don't perceive as a threat. They will give you a bases of where and how to spend your money. They will also get you there faster. Be specific about your goals too. I can run a faster qualifying lap when I toe out my fronts, but tire temps then become an issue 20 minutes into the race, so I gave up some turn-in for tire temp management when I went to 0 toe. If I were doing TT I would run a different alignment. All part of the equation. Just playing with alignment alone you will consume a year of track time if you go it alone. They will save you from buying the wrong stuff (like certain ball joints). I love the topic, It's half of what I enjoy about racing.

Building/setting up is almost as much fun as the actual racing to me lol. I've never taken a car this far before so the extremes of suspension geometry and setup are a bit overwhelming but oh so fun to learn about. One of these days I'd like to try and get all of the members here that are diehard motorsport guys together. Would be so much fun to have everyone Iin the same place, would be a track talk nerd fest lol.

I did find a local shop that specializes in Audi racecar builds exclusively, going to call them today and try and setup a consultation, if I could get them to come over and actually see the car and help guide me that would be awesome.

The shop
http://gocpt.com/#service

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI

What was your reasoning for the stretched tires? I've heard some stretch helps tire deformation, or maybe it was something else, honestly I tune out the second most people mention stretched tires.

One of these days I'd like to try and get all of the members here that are diehard motorsport guys together. Would be so much fun to have everyone Iin the same place, would be a track talk nerd fest lol

Gridlife, there's an event at Gingerman I want to go to. Might not happen this year since I'm stepping up my track antics a lot this year already but in the next 2-3 for sure.

miamirice

Ready to race!
What was your reasoning for the stretched tires? I've heard some stretch helps tire deformation, or maybe it was something else, honestly I tune out the second most people mention stretched tires.

Gridlife, there's an event at Gingerman I want to go to. Might not happen this year since I'm stepping up my track antics a lot this year already but in the next 2-3 for sure.

205/50R15 is a super common tire size. It's what spec Miata uses. So then you find out that for example : a 205 on a 9" wheel makes the same or more grip as a 225 on an 8" wheel. Tire widths are deceiving too. A 205 Hoosier is the same width as a 225 Toyo RR. I had run 8" wheel all around. Tried a 9" in front and it was better, still use 8" in the rear as 9" won't fit. So it's annoying to have diff wheel widths but the car is best like this and with alignment can be made to throttle lift over steer very easy. K motors spend all there time 6500-9000 rpm so any little lift and you get engine braking and the car rotates on corner entry. It's awesome but you have to always catch it.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion

Mate, go to Gridlife. Last year it was by far the best event or anything that I went to period. Unfortunately I'm currently on the wait-list for HPDE but all and all it's an excellent time. Just all around great racing/Time Attack/Drifting, the night life is awesome and you're surrounded by awesome car people. Since it's based around racing you don't really get too many of the stance guys or anything either. Just go, you won't be disappointed.

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
Had 225 and went to 235. At the same time I've installed 1" wider Kerscher front wings. Camber is about -2.5deg on front and -2.1deg rear. The Car is very well balanced with almost no under/oversteer when the tires are hot. The laptimes were similar but there was an improvement in tire temps with the wider tire. The 225 was overheating towards the end of a 20mins session (last2 laps) while the 235 didn't !

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Had 225 and went to 235. At the same time I've installed 1" wider Kerscher front wings. Camber is about -2.5deg on front and -2.1deg rear. The Car is very well balanced with almost no under/oversteer when the tires are hot. The laptimes were similar but there was an improvement in tire temps with the wider tire. The 225 was overheating towards the end of a 20mins session (last2 laps) while the 235 didn't !

You have all that motor work done and you're only running a K04? Mind blown!

fuscobal

Go Kart Champion
You have all that motor work done and you're only running a K04? Mind blown!

Reliability is the key word here and what would I do with more power on a Fwd car anyway ?

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Drop the CR and run a hot golf .:R tune.

telaio

Ready to race!
I found that Advan Neova AD08R at 235/40/R18 is way better the Michelin PSS at the same size thanks to a much stiffer sidewall and wider contact patch. Will purchase the same tires again for sure.

live4something

Ready to race!
I found that Advan Neova AD08R at 235/40/R18 is way better the Michelin PSS at the same size thanks to a much stiffer sidewall and wider contact patch. Will purchase the same tires again for sure.
With a 180 treadwear rating it better out perform the PSS at 300

Last edited:

telaio

Ready to race!
With a 180 treadwear rating it better out perform the PSS at 300
Sure, but for me the PSS sucked since the sidewall folder under all the time...what is the maximum load capacity available for PSS, I think I picked up the wrong ones intended for lighter cars..