GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperSkyline89's Timeline

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI

I picked up a new helmet today. I tried on a Sparco and this HJC which I ended up buying. The Sparco was twice the price and had built in HANS anchors which this one doesn't but it didn't fit well. The sales rep said it was because Sparco helmets are built to fit round heads while the HJC fit oval heads (might have been the other way around but I'm pretty sure that's what it was). Anyway, I've got my two helmets now so the next step is to decide which HANS I'm getting. I'm leaning towards Schroth because I'm getting Schroth harnesses so I just need to find out what kind of anchors they fit and get both helmets retrofitted. I'm also gonna look into what I can do to get a yellow mirror visor for the HJC.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I picked up a HANS device for myself last weekend. I was thinking of getting a Schroth but the currency conversion, shipping, and customs would have cost me a ton of money. My mechanic got me this HANS II at cost instead. It came with the Quick Click anchors which I had never seen so I was pretty confused at first but having tried them I really like how easy it is to disconnect

I brought my hood back from my mechanic's shop last week also. I'm talking to someone about having it painted but haven't been able to take it to their shop yet. I'm thinking I might hold onto it for a few weeks instead and just have my car towed there instead because my left rear fender still has paint damage from Mosport that I'd like to have fixed.

I also ordered a set of Epic Euro Tuning Ultra Adjustable Control Arms and a set of replacement heim joints today. The website wouldn't allow me to ship to Canada so I emailed them my address and they actually sent me an invoice a couple hours ago which I've already paid for so now it's just a matter of time until I have them. I'm really looking forward to getting them because I've wanted to get spherical bearings up front for a while now. I'm also going to be replacing the engine mounts so the front end should be tightened up nicely this season.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Picked up some goodies this weekend. Got a Sparco Pro Adv bucket seat for passengers along with two sets of steel side mounts and two lumbar cushions. I ordered a Sparco passenger seat base too but it wasn't in stock so it's going to be a week or two more. I already had a lumbar cushion on my driver seat but I'm actually using it in the Kia because its seats are a pile of steaming unsupportive garbage. So it'll keep the old one and the GTI will get the new ones. I decided to get new side mounts because the aluminum ones I already had didn't line up well and they got a little mangled by the steel bolts holding them in.

Since I can't install the passenger seat yet I just went ahead and put my driver seat back in the car and adjusted its position the best I could. Not the easiest thing to do with the car sitting a foot away from a wall but it's good enough to drive in so I'll just fine tune it at the track later. I also decided that since I'm taking everything apart and putting it back together anyway I'd route the OEM belts better so I ran the lap belt end through the harness hole. I haven't put the buckle back on yet but I'm going to mount it so it's below the harness hole on the other side and make sure the belt buckle will actually fit through the hole too.

The plan for the immediate future is to keep running my Sparco Ergo as the driver seat because of the removable head restraints. In the future, once the car inevitably comes off the road, I'm going to swap with the Pro Adv so I have the permanent restraints and passengers have the removable ones.

I'm going to put my center console back together in a few minutes. I'm also thinking I might as well just pull the parking brake lever out of the car completely but I don't know how the car will like it as far as warning lights go. If you know let me know but otherwise I'll just ask my mechanic later, I want to pull out everything I don't use but it's not a priority.

I registered for the first track day of the season today. April 21st at Mosport DDT. Not much time left until then so I need to get going with making the car functional. Right now the two biggest road blocks are the hood and tires. I have my hood back but it needs paint and I also want to have my left rear fender repaired of the damage from Mosport GP so I'm going to throw my R-S3's back on and have it towed to a body shop to get all that done at the same time. For tires I'm going to look into picking up a set of Hankook R-S4's asap. Even if I just hold onto them until closer to the 21st I can't afford to get caught out by availability later on.

The half cage will probably be the last thing I take care of, of all the changes for this year it's the one I'm least worried about. I can't run harnesses without it but that won't stop me from doing shakedowns in the meantime. As long as it's in for the time attack season I'm good.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Center console's back in. Just need to wait for the passenger seat base now

I went to Canadian Tire and picked up a can of white Plasti Dip just now. I'm going to spray my hood vent so it semi-matches my paint and the rubbery coating should keep the fiberglass from damaging the paint

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Center console's back in. Just need to wait for the passenger seat base now

I went to Canadian Tire and picked up a can of white Plasti Dip just now. I'm going to spray my hood vent so it semi-matches my paint and the rubbery coating should keep the fiberglass from damaging the paint

Looking good. You are making me wanna strip the rest of my interior

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Looking good. You are making me wanna strip the rest of my interior

I'm finding it hard to stop myself from ripping even more out. Once you get going it gets addictive

Man your helmet holders almost made me impulse buy for my track helmet and my motorcycle helmet.

Of all the things I've bought those holders are by far the most excited I've seen people about. Literally every friend I've made racing is in love with them and talking about getting those or one like them

Build and progress are amazing man [emoji7]

Thank you, I never imagined I'd go so crazy with this car, or any other car for that matter, but I'm very happy with where it is now

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I got my new control arms today. They've been stuck in customs all week but I paid the ransom today. Luckily it was only $33 because they were shipped through the USPS and the package was declared as a gift. I know a lot of Americans love complaining about the USPS but as a Canadian that ships a lot of stuff from down south I love your postage system!

I ordered the Ultra Adjustable Tubular Control Arms and a set of spare heim joints. Went with black because I don't really want my suspension attracting attention away from the yellow details all over the car.

I had a friend give me a hand yesterday to get the hood back on the car. I tightened it down today and threw the battery back in too. Car starts so tomorrow I'm putting the wheels back on, pulling it out of the garage and finishing up the interior work. The big ticket item is to pull the door cards off but I also need to take a dremel to some tabs sticking out of the floor. Other than that I'm just getting the car ready for a flatbed trip to the paint shop.

I signed up for a lapping day on April 21st so the push is on to get the car back on the road. I'm hoping I'll have the passenger seat base next week so I can throw the other seat in. I had my mechanic order me a set of new Hankook R-S4's yesterday, the rears are in stock so I'll have them this coming week but the fronts aren't being released until April so I'm on the waiting list for those. The plan is to have all four tires in hand and have them mounted the week before my first outing. Until then I'm just going to roll around on my old R-S3's. The only other major thing I need to take care of is the springs, I'm going to contact KW and Swift tomorrow to see what they say. I'm hoping the spring rates Das Gespenst is running on his Eibach R2's will work with my KW VIII's, just need to confirm with KW that it won't be a problem or if I need to have them re-valved and/or upgraded to Clubsports

The roll cage situation is still in limbo but that won't stop me from running on the 21st so I'm not going to spend any time worrying about it now. As long as I have the seats, suspension, and hood done I can get out there and acclimate to how the car drives with all the changes. I'm not necessarily making a major change to any one thing but all put together the car is going to drive very differently this year.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI

Got the car back on the ground today. Pulled it out of the garage and took the door cards out. It's been a few years since I did it so it took a little while to figure it out again. I stripped them of all the switches and got them hooked back up so everything still works. I took the door handles off and screwed them back into the doors. The passenger side was easy because the handle is screwed into the door card with a couple T20 screws but I had to cut the driver side handle out with a Dremel because it was plastic welded in. I'll probably ditch them later but for now it was the easiest way to mount the window switches and be able to close the doors from inside the car.

I pulled the door latches out of the cards too but I haven't figured out how to mount them anywhere yet. My door warning lights are also still hooked up so I'll need to pull them out soon, just need to find the instructions for how I put them in years ago. Pretty sure it's just a matter of pulling the wires out of the door harness so it should be pretty easy. I'm thinking the final fix will be to mount a switch panel and pull strap to the T30 screw holes. I'm not going to bother making full size carbon door cards because the doors actually look a lot nicer under the stock ones than I though they would.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
Looking good man! Making me wanna get mine out of the garage and cleaned up

Thanks man, it felt really good to start it up and move it even if it was only a few feet back and forth.

Are you just waiting for the weather to improve?

Sorry if I missed it, but whats the plan for the hood?

I have an extractor vent I'm going to rivet to the hood once it's painted. Should look like this once it's done except for the colour. I picked up a can of white Plasti-Dip for the vent so it semi-matches the car and I'm hoping the rubbery coating will keep the vent from damaging the hood paint too much.

I checked the placement this past weekend and it lines up right behind the rad so it should provide a really nice path for air to flow straight out of the heat exchangers and out the vent.