GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Revised rear camber and toe

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all,

Remember hearing that there was supposedly revised figures for rear suspension to reduce the effects on inner tyre wear.

Just wondering what the rear camber and toe should be before purchasing new tires and getting it laser aligned

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Hi all,

Remember hearing that there was supposedly revised figures for rear suspension to reduce the effects on inner tyre wear.

Just wondering what the rear camber and toe should be before purchasing new tires and getting it laser aligned

Thanks

Camber: -1.45° +- 30' / US setting (I guess the one you want): -1.2° +- 30' (max difference between sides 30')

Total toe (at specified camber) : +10' +- 12.' / US setting: same (max deviation from direction of travel 20')

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Camber: -1.45° +- 30' / US setting (I guess the one you want): -1.2° +- 30' (max difference between sides 30')

Total toe (at specified camber) : +10' +- 12.' / US setting: same (max deviation from direction of travel 20')

Hi thanks very much for getting back to me, would that also apply in Europe ?

vwengineer

Ready to race!

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, the Europe setting for the GTI and R32 is -1.45° +- 30' but I assume the US setting (which also applies to non-GTI/R32 Golf V in Europe) will wear a bit less the inner side (but also probably means less grip).

EDIT: found the reference http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...lignment/wheel_alignment_specifications_golf/

Thanks very much [emoji3] I’m going to be getting a full set done so just wanted to be sure so that I have a reference to show them, I wouldn’t have a clue myself, some forums say that only toe can be changed on the rear, trying to research everything I can before getting them done, thinking if getting Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Why are these called revised, they are the standard alignment number based on PR number.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
I have seen in other places that there were “revised” figures done by vw , I’ll just have the tire place go off what vwengineer posted above as I don’t have a clue myself, just trying to mitigate the rear inner tire wear as possible

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I have seen in other places that there were “revised” figures done by vw , I’ll just have the tire place go off what vwengineer posted above as I don’t have a clue myself, just trying to mitigate the rear inner tire wear as possible

I have a camber of about -1.7° on the rear so pretty aggressive. My rear summer tires have about 6-5mm thread left on the outside and about 3mm on the inner side. I was looking myself to lower the camber for this reason but I guess I will just rotate the tires.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a camber of about -1.7° on the rear so pretty aggressive. My rear summer tires have about 6-5mm thread left on the outside and about 3mm on the inner side. I was looking myself to lower the camber for this reason but I guess I will just rotate the tires.

I see, so would I be safe enough just quoting the figures you gave me above for the rear when I go in?

As well as that I will rotate them every few thousand miles and try get the value out of them

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I see, so would I be safe enough just quoting the figures you gave me above for the rear when I go in?

As well as that I will rotate them every few thousand miles and try get the value out of them

The figures come from VW itself. But if you go get an alignment they will have the manufacturer values for your car anyway. Note that less camber is maybe better regarding thread wear but can also negatively affect the behavior of the rear in curves, this is the reason why the GTI has more camber than less sportier versions.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
The figures come from VW itself. But if you go get an alignment they will have the manufacturer values for your car anyway. Note that less camber is maybe better regarding thread wear but can also negatively affect the behavior of the rear in curves, this is the reason why the GTI has more camber than less sportier versions.

Thanks a million, any preferences on tires ? do you find some are better than others?

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Thanks a million, any preferences on tires ? do you find some are better than others?

Well I have the car since 8 months so I can't really help you as I did not change the tires yet. I have Michelin Pilot Sport 3 in 17" as summer tires and Continental WinterContact as winter tires in 16" and they both perform quite well.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I asked for mine to be set at -1.5° on the rear last time it was aligned and they still wear on the inner tread of the rear tires as a daily driver. Here's a question; I have both front and rear H&R ARB's...front on softest setting and rear on stiffest setting. I keep seeing the rear -camber should be -1.5°(±0.5°) 15' for a 2007 gti...and I am thinking of asking for -1.0° in a couple of months. Thoughts?

Oh, my favorite performance tires to date, after three other types, are Pirelli P Zero All-Season Plus( https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...wall=Blackwall&partnum=24YR8P0ASPXL&tab=Sizes )...they have a 40k mile warranty, but I think they will not make that even when rotating every 6 months and aligning every year.

My next tire will likely be Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ( https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ll=Blackwall&partnum=24YR8PSAS3PLXL&tab=Sizes ) due to; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=230

Last edited:

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I asked for mine to be set at -1.5° on the rear last time it was aligned and they still wear on the inner tread of the rear tires as a daily driver. Here's a question; I have both front and rear H&R ARB's...front on softest setting and rear on stiffest setting. I keep seeing the rear -camber should be -1.5°(±0.5°) 15' for a 2007 gti...and I am thinking of asking for -1.0° in a couple of months. Thoughts?

Oh, my favorite performance tires to date, after three other types, are Pirelli P Zero All-Season Plus( https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...wall=Blackwall&partnum=24YR8P0ASPXL&tab=Sizes )...they have a 40k mile warranty, but I think they will not make that even when rotating every 6 months and aligning every year.

My next tire will likely be Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ( https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ll=Blackwall&partnum=24YR8PSAS3PLXL&tab=Sizes ) due to; https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=230
Yes you can try but you will get a lower adherence from the rear in theory. While these tires look good, I don't use all seasons tires myself as they are known to be very average in all four seasons. I prefer to have two sets of tires (anyway each does half the miles so it's not really more expensive except for the wheels).

For example a real winter tire work well under 44°F as they have a softer rubber, over that a summer tire is better (wears much less and has better adherence). A winter tire has very thick profile in V shape to grip in snow but this kind of profile is not ideal to grip in the rainy or dry conditions. So if you build a all season tire you will have to do a lot of compromises in terms of wear, profile, rubber hardness. It cannot be as good as a winter/summer tire in the right season.

Nd272

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve decided I’ll be going with Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric this weekend, based on reviews I’ve seen but by the recommendation from the tire place, they also have a laser alignment machine so will see how it goes , keep an eye on my tire pressures and rotate them over after few thousand miles and hope I get a bit of life out of them [emoji106]