GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tire Rack Tire Suggestions/ Recommendations/ Opinions

ehancock

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info, Gavin. I'm working on a deal with a guy I'm selling my Huffs to. He works for Conti, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a set of the Contact 5's and be a guinea pig of sorts.

Pretty sure i just bought a set of tires from this guy lol. He seemed like a pretty good guy.

CW08DSG

I don't care.
Car(s)
08 GTI 2dr DSG
Let me know how they work out, or write a review at Tire Rack.com to let all interested parties know how they performed for you.

Will do. Will have the tires tomorrow morning and have them mounted on the new wheels in the afternoon or Thursday at latest.

Pretty sure i just bought a set of tires from this guy lol. He seemed like a pretty good guy.

Hmmm, he have a Jetta GLI? He bought my suspension components, asked me what I was doing with my Huffs and things progressed from there. If his name starts with an O, it's probably the same guy. Seems very stand up, been great to work with for sure.

ehancock

Ready to race!
Yeah that's him. I bought a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS from him and then i felt guilty for spending money on my car so i was trying to sell :(

He said he would hook me up when it came time for tires on Tasha's car

CW08DSG

I don't care.
Car(s)
08 GTI 2dr DSG
Yeah that's him. I bought a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS from him and then i felt guilty for spending money on my car so i was trying to sell :(

He said he would hook me up when it came time for tires on Tasha's car

haha, don't feel guilty.

I had no intentions of selling my tires, just the wheels. But he made a couple of proposals for a complete swap with some tire suggestions and I figured wtf. I'd had blown the wheel money on something else and I'm definitely not in love with my current tires. I know he was looking for a complete set of tires/wheels for convenience sake, so this worked out well for both of us. The fact these should be a considerable improvement is a plus for me.

Jonesy

Car(s)
'07 Rabbit 2Dr
I don't know if TireRack sells Cooper tires, but I absolutely love my Zeon RS3-S summer tires. The grip is fantastic and they ride much better than my old Toyo Proxes 4s did. Wet performance isn't as good as the Toyo, but it still is very good for a summer tire, and I can feel confident about pushing them a bit in the rain.

I don't track my rabbit, but I do really push it in daily driving, and the grip from these is fantastic. Way more performance than my Rabbit would ever need, but it's nice to have the confidence. They're perform well above their price point, IMO ($135 installed for 225/45/17). They're even the tire Roush uses for most of their Mustangs. And there's an all season version. Tread life also seems pretty good, no noticeable wear after 4k miles.

spblat

I like my car
Thanks for this thread Gavin. I'm about ready for a fresh set of tires for my 2009 with OEM 17's. Here's what I'm thinking:

I mainly want less road noise. Portland roads are a mess due to all the studded tires on the road.

I also want better grip accelerating in first gear. On the aforementioned awful Portland roads.

I don't have any interest in snow or ice characteristics. When things get nasty I don't drive the GTI.

Do any obvious choices pop out?

Thanks again.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Just talked to Gavin for about 20 minutes and it doesn't take long to recognize he's a nice guy who really knows his stuff. Order has been placed!

Car(s)
2008 GTI
Thanks sir! Order received and should be to you in a couple o' days at the most.

One perk of living in the Midwest is it never takes long to get anything as you live right in the middle ;-) Have to see the positive in any situation.

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the feedback on the Sport Maxx TT's. They are one of the most overlooked performance tires I carry. In the tests that I've done, they're definitely one of the best. Like you said, maybe not quite as sticky as the Michelins, but still a worthy tire.
Have you taken the time to do one of our tire surveys on the Tire Rack website? This feedback is what we're looking for on our website for all to read.

I will now!

I made a seperate thread edited my grammatical mistakes and added more info about the performance. I will delete that comment to clean up this thread.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
No joke my rims and tires are set to arrive today. Wednesday. Gotta love next day magic. Now to get Captain Dicknuts (my local service guy, it's a love hate thing) to squeeze me in tomorrow instead.

Car(s)
2008 GTI
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344450739.068548.jpg