GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How To: remove exterior door pillars!

koosh

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk5 golf
hey guys. started to make some How To's the other day and will hopefully keep making more :D!

first up is the removal of exterior door pillars on a 5 door. yu may wish to do this for some reason or another... 3 door is a million times easier as can be seen at the bottom :) first up is the rears since they are the hardest!

first of all open your rear window. if, like me, you have council spec windows that you have to wind down, do so....

grab hold of the middle of the inner window seal and pull it outwards. the middle should come free then yu have to pull the rubber upwards to remove it from down the side of the window... push it inside the car to keep it out the way :)

next up you will see the 2 torx screws yu need to remove. they are either T20 or T15. remove the 2 screws CAREFULLY (if yu drop them they are most likely down in between the door frame and door skin... so dont drop em!). put the screws to one side. now assuming yu have the car door open pull the rubber seal towards the car (it only stays attatched at the top so its easy to move). now push the pillar towards the car body and lift it up. it should move out with a wiggle and a shake!

now yu have your pillar out take it to your workstation and do whatever yu are doing with it... i was vonyl wrapping but yu may choose to paint or replace :)

as always re-fitting is the exact same process as removal :) push the bottom of the pillar in then slide the top away from the car. push down and screw it in place! insert the bottom of the window side seal and push down. will take alot of wiggling and pushing but it can be done! once its as far down as its going just make sure the inner and outer seal are back in line. then the seal closest to the cars body just requires a good thud back into place!

and so yu have a freshly done pillar!

now the front only requires on picture... window down, pull the middle of the window side seal and yu will see the 2 screws. you should be able to access these easily with a long enough Torx bit :) again its a T15 or T20. slide away from the car and take it away. again re-fitting involves the sae process in reverse :)

hope this helps :D thanks!

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Another good writeup :thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, I have seen a couple threads recently asking for a DIY for this.

koosh

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk5 golf
only way of removing those silly little pillars at the rear is to remove door skins and windows :thumbdown:

koosh

Ready to race!
Car(s)
mk5 golf
nah thats how mines are mate :)
the little ones are so thin they make no differant at all ;)

however if your fussy you get some vinyl you could propbably trim the front of them and try and tuck the edges round :D

spenceGTI

hi there
koosh I tried to PM you, but I'm new to the forum and don't think it worked.
Just wondering if you - or anybody - had a PART NUMBER for this piece. specifically, the driver door (left) of the three door car.
I think I found it online but there's no pic to reference or part number so I was just a bit nervous to order it and end up with the wrong thing.
thanks!