GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maybe a 2006 GTi?

Sp00led Ya

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, I am 20 years old and in the Air Force, I will be leaving for training soon however my return home will surely be before christmas, this gives me time to save up for a nice down payment on a car. I am very knowledgable on certain cars, I know I want forced induction. I am torn between buying something used, which may be tricky or require more time to find the right one (EVO) and just flat out buying NEW, knowing I was the only person to ever drive the car but I just don't really see much that catches my eye SO. I considered ordered a new GTi when I got home, no DSG even though I have driven it and it was awsome... I just feel it is something REALLY expensive that could break down the road so I will stick with the good ol' 6 speed. I know some people who have had 1.8T and they simply say they were a pain in the ass to own, problematic and really not the best most reliable cars by ANY stretch of the imagination. I also noticed JD Powers ranking for VW "problems per 100 cars" and they were 3rd to LAST behind Land Rover and KIA!... I know these cars are fun to drive, built solid and quality as hell in there fit and finish but if I buy a car I want to know if I end up loving it, that I can keep it out side of warrantee without worries, especially when buying german.

I like the new GTi because it is solid, responds to mods very well and is smooth though it is a bit porky at what 3300lbs? There just really is nothing in the sub $25,000 range that offers more unless you guys know of anything nice to be comming? The SRT-4 makes great power and I know them inside and out, just flat out crap build quality... it's a dodge and I don't want a Acura/Honda because I hate there high compressions torqueless motors... I don't care how well they respond to boost. The GTi styling is definately going to have to grow on me, whatever I buy new I want to be well rounded and clean, with motor mods as well as handling... the stock ride height has to GO, how capable would a good set of coilovers and nice light wheels make these GTi's at the track. I liked the WRX however it is plain old unresponsive to mods, EXTREMELY unresponsive. Now if I could go back in time I would buy a brand new EVO RS, they could be had for $26,000 or so. I set my budget at $25,000 but would extend it to $26,000 if the RIGHT car came along and I don't think that is going to happen, so between what is probobly comming out for the 2007 model year and what is out now, new... Do you guys think I would be happy with the GTi, why and why not?

Slowride

Touring Car Newbie
Well, I would stay out of used Evo waters...you are probably asking for trouble there.

In your price range, added to the fact that you like boosted vehicles, I would say that the GTI is probably the best car you'll find. I see that you have listed the WRX as very unresponsive to mods, and that is something I didn't know.

Dr. Woo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
And it's GTI, not GTi.

Sorry, gotta be an esoteric asshole every now and then. :wink:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
But you don't have to be an ass on your birthday. It is your b-day right? Let alone to a new guy considering buying a GTi (oops, I mean GTI). Just kidding, happy b-day.
Anyways, I think that you would really enjoy owning a GTI. I have had a few cars in my time (last being a 2005 Civic Si) and I love driving this VW. As far as reliability goes, I'm not sure. I haven't had any prob's in the first 1000 miles (lol) and hopefully wont. But if I do then I have the comfort of buying new and having a pretty good warranty. By the time my warranty ends my car will be paid off and I will be in the market to sell it back for a few grand toward the next newest and coolest ride out there. BUt for now......this is it. I too looked at the WRX and Evo extensively before buying the GTI but still opted for the GTI (even though money was not an issue). If you've really driven the GTI hard then you know what it has already. As far as modding it goes, I can only imagine how much better it gets. I tend to find out but it seems most mods are still under development or being tested so I will wait for all the "ginnie (sp) pigs" reports on certain mods before I choose what it is I will be doing. Taking down the stock ride height is not a problem. That will be my second mod. Tomorrow it gets tinted, then it gets lowered, then we start talking about performance (which I have not decided on yet). Now I'm getting of subject and making it about me. The choice is yours, but I'm pretty sure you would enjoy owning a GTI. Personally...I didn't like the exterior at all when I first saw it and almost bought something else for that reason alone. But now I have grown to love it, and the body kits out there are making it look sweet. I can imagine they'll only get better. Good luck in training and let us know what you have decided upon someday. Later.:burnrubber:

NorthGTI

Rally Car Newbie
GTI2007 said:
The MK5 GTI doesn't weigh 3300 lbs like all the magazines say but something of a 3100 lbs

I think a 3100 pound car, with fuel, with driver, with test equipment, could be 3300 pounds.

It depends on the weight they record in their chart.

GTI2007

NorthGTI said:
I think a 3100 pound car, with fuel, with driver, with test equipment, could be 3300 pounds.

It depends on the weight they record in their chart.

I'm not sure but I think that the 3100 lbs already is for a full loaded GTI with fuel and driver. I think that because the curbweight of the base Belgian (Europe) 3 door 6 speed manual GTI is 2925 lbs. To compare, in Belgium the base 6 speed manual 2.0 TFSI Jetta has only a curbweight of 3025 lbs.

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Sp00led Ya said:
I set my budget at $25,000 but would extend it to $26,000 if the RIGHT car came along

in the UK, a GTI costs about £20k. This would be equivalent to $38.5k.

I really am in the wrong country.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
GTI2007 said:
Then you are glad you don't live in Holland. There cost a base 3 door 6 speed manual GTI $ 40,700!!
So that's why everybody rides bicycles around town..lol. Holland, what a beautiful place. My only fear is that I may not make it there again this year. Seriously though, cycling is absolutely crazy there....and mostly all of you ride the classic styled bikes. Later on.

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
GTI2007 said:
Then you are glad you don't live in Holland. There cost a base 3 door 6 speed manual GTI $ 40,700!!

:eek:

but then again u dont go to holland necessarily for the cars