GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New fans still run with car turned off

sk04d

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
V dub
So my car has 2 new fans that were replaced by a repair shop after I got into accident. The problem is that the fans continue to stay active even after I turn off the car. They eventually turn off after X number of minutes but I know its not normal for a 2.5L 2008 Rabbit to be doing this.
After the car is turned off the fans will sometimes spin slowly and other times spin very fast. They usually stay active for the first 25 minutes after the car is turned off. I know its not to big of a deal but its annoying when everyone thinks your car is still on after you have turned it off. If anyone can point me to specific relays, fuses and/or sensors to check I would much appreciate it. Reading the previous posts hasn't really served me any help yet because most people replace the fans to fix the problem, my problem started after the fans were replaced. Also my temps are perfectly normal, the car heats up normally and the vag com shows no faults of any sort.

SPD BGGY

"Vroom-a-zoom-zoom!
Car(s)
2008 GTI MKV
My fans run for a few minutes after the car is shut off but only if the car is hot. When it's cool, they sometimes don't come on at all. Never heard of one running for almost a half hour. Something sounds wrong. My spider sense is tingling....

VDub22

VW > EVERYTHING ELSE
Car(s)
2007 MKV Rabbit
I had this issue with my 07 Rabbit. Took it back to the dealer.. turned out the fan sensors needed to be replaced. Now I only hear my fans run for a couple seconds once the car is turned off.

SuperchargedK20Z3

Passed Driver's Ed
What if I take a 15 min 4 mile drive in 90+ degree weather should my fans come on when the car is off.

They arent and I know they have before just worried bc I just got the car,a week ago and arent the fans supposed to help cool the turbo?

I have an 09 GTI

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

UGFast89

The Dubster Sith
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
I have this same issue on my gti. After my head on collision crash the problem started to occur. Funny thing is that it only happens when I use the AC even for a few minutes. It would stay on for as long as 8 minutes even more at times. It may be the sensor like stated above.

crystalwhiteveedub

Gas Sipper
Car(s)
2009 5 Door GTI
Some people would pay big money for that after a autoX or drag run to shut the car down and have fans going to help with cool down.

But i see there is a problem. However, no clue.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Not normal. Now matter how hot it is outside, my fans run for maybe 5 seconds tops, after I shut off the engine. And I just had them replaced by the dealer under warranty, so you know they would have replaced any other part that was bad. Unless your car is overheating (past halfway on they gauge), you have a problem. And if your car is overheating, you have another problem.

SuperchargedK20Z3

Passed Driver's Ed
Not normal. Now matter how hot it is outside, my fans run for maybe 5 seconds tops, after I shut off the engine. And I just had them replaced by the dealer under warranty, so you know they would have replaced any other part that was bad. Unless your car is overheating (past halfway on they gauge), you have a problem. And if your car is overheating, you have another problem.

Well during the jump I accidentally reversed pos/neg on the car I used to jump with. I only put the power to the GTI for 2 seconds the fans kicked on and I removed it I knew something wasn't right because a smell. I NEVER CRANKED THE GTI. I then realized I had pos/neg reversed on the other car... swapped them and cranked the GTI up.

My radio fuse was blown and Traction control light and steering wheel light were on. After 15 seconds of driving those lights went out but my radio still didnt work. Replaced the fuse and it worked.

So now I notice fans aren't coming on anymore when I turn the car off. They work fine with car on so I must have blew some sort of relay/switch idk. I checked all the fuses under the hood and they are good. Any idea???

SuperchargedK20Z3

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like there is a relay or something for the fans... I need them to be on when the car is off so it cools the coolant and everything to keep the turbo working. Anyone know where the relay is?