GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retarted design???

BLACKMAGICGTI'06

Rally Car Champion
OK well now here goes... I'm steaming mad so if i sound pissed off its cuz i am i dropped my car off to the dealer to have the third brake light looked at because it wasn't working at all... dropped the car off at 8am got a call around 1pm to ask me about a change i made to the car's taill lights i explained that they are just lenses and didn't involve any wires or plugs it was a simple swap of the lenses. It's now 4:30 pm and the service tech calls me to tell me
VW:in order to get to the third brake light we have to cut the spoiler off of the hatch...
ME: Your kidding right???
VW:No sir i'm sorry this is what the procedure is we called the tech line and they said this is what has to be done...

If this sounds a little bit extreme or untrue someone please let me know i told them not to touch it and i will come pick it up they said they have to reassemble the trunk area and i can get it in the morning. needless to say i am PISSED!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
damn, thats a bit too extreme for a damn lense. call VWoA and verify the procedure, i always do before they start ANY work on my car.

they had a firned of mine sit for 5 hours here in houston, and the drilled the hole for the ipod adapter and did not install it, it was SUCH a waste of time, they didnt even install the adapter, nor fix her problem with her wireless entry light on the door. they had to "research" the problem

good luck though. looks like VW tech still hasnt straightened up.

alf

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
that doesn't make any sense at all. Cut it off???? It should be bolted on.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Uhhh yeah, that's a poor engineering idea. Was the person who approved of this design fired? Good luck with it. Sorry to babble and waste space but I am absolutely amazed that this design was what was said to be the final decision when production of this car was to begin.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So the spoiler is glued on? Yeah that is stupid.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
So much for "german engineering" huh?
That sucks!
Have you tried asking a different dealership/service dept? Might not get you anywhere, but it can't hurt either.

Or you could try the folks on the 'tex, they seem like they are all engineers. Maybe they could give you a 2nd (through 684th) opinion.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
So, they have to take it off, so what?
Let them do what they need to do and then they'll put it back together.
I don't see what the problem is.
If tech support says that's how it needs to be done, then why don't you let them?

T

GTT

Touring Car Champion
BLACKMAGICGTI'06 said:
i just don't think it is the way its gotta be. i think it is wrong that the bulb cant be changed by the consumer

Are they saying that they only need to replace the bulb, or are they saying that to fix the reason for why the bulb is blowing, they have to remove the spoiler?
You may need to ask more questions.

T

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
No way in hell the only way to replace the bulb is by haccking away at the hatch and removing the spoiler. Something just aint right.

starshippooper

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, that really sucks!
I design cars for a living and I find it very hard to believe that there is no access to the lamp assy but to cut off the spoiler. Off the top of my head I would say that you would open the hatch and remove the interior garnish/trim on the inside of the hatch at the top to gain access. If the technicians are in fact correct, this kind of "engineering" would never fly where I come from. You would be laughed at for suggesting it and that is as far as it would ever go. I test drove the GTI and loved it, but it's these kinds of examples that keep me from pulling the trigger. My 06' civic may not be as fun to drive but I have had "0" problems and it is still a great car overall. It's sad that VW just can't seem to get it together. If they could just deliver that fun to drive design with a reasonable amount of reliability/accountability they would be kicking some serious ass in the industry. Rant over.