GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ok i have to ask...

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
So any of u regretting anything about your GTI or GLI?

me personally...its not so much a regret as much as it is a 'what if'...but i wonder what my car would have been like with the 6MT and not the DSG...granted i LOVE my DSG...but i just wonder if i would have enjoyed the car more or less with a 6MT

so anything u all wish u would have done different?

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
Honestly, the only thing I "regret" is not getting the factory sirius radio. I am still trying to find the kit on ebay (fac head unit, antenna, and box). But I figure if that is all I have to complain about, I made a REALLY good choice.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I thought long and hard about that very thing. Granted the DSG is the new craze. However, after much thought I am glad I opted for the 6MT. As a matter of fact I just had a blast with it 5 minutes before I started posting this. I figured with the 6MT it was performance every time I drive versus the on demand of the DSG. What I mean is this....with a manual I always downshift in a hairpin or nice highway exit/entrance turn but with a DSG how many times was I going to really use it versus being lazy and just riding out the auto. For myself I am sure I would have used the auto without paddle shifting probably at least 90% of the time. How about you others? Are you always sport shifting your DSG? Sometimes I wish I had the acceleration of the DSG (which I heard was 3/10 of a second in the quarter mile per my dealer). But to me theres nothing like driving a 6MT on a daily basis and always using it for what it is with no option to drive it in auto. To me, a manual is a manual. I don't even like the sport shifting with an auto and "slapping the knob" up and down for gears. It just doesn't replace the clutch IMHO. So yes, a DSG driver can say he's got faster acceleration, but I wonder if he's getting the driving experience I am with a 6MT. Actually, I know he's not cuz I drove them both and there was just no comparison to me. Boy I shouldn't have posted this response. Oh well, I'm just being honest. I love my stick.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
kirk180 said:
I thought long and hard about that very thing. Granted the DSG is the new craze. However, after much thought I am glad I opted for the 6MT. As a matter of fact I just had a blast with it 5 minutes before I started posting this. I figured with the 6MT it was performance every time I drive versus the on demand of the DSG. What I mean is this....with a manual I always downshift in a hairpin or nice highway exit/entrance turn but with a DSG how many times was I going to really use it versus being lazy and just riding out the auto. For myself I am sure I would have used the auto without paddle shifting probably at least 90% of the time. How about you others? Are you always sport shifting your DSG? Sometimes I wish I had the acceleration of the DSG (which I heard was 3/10 of a second in the quarter mile per my dealer). But to me theres nothing like driving a 6MT on a daily basis and always using it for what it is with no option to drive it in auto. To me, a manual is a manual. I don't even like the sport shifting with an auto and "slapping the knob" up and down for gears. It just doesn't replace the clutch IMHO. So yes, a DSG driver can say he's got faster acceleration, but I wonder if he's getting the driving experience I am with a 6MT. Actually, I know he's not cuz I drove them both and there was just no comparison to me. Boy I shouldn't have posted this response. Oh well, I'm just being honest. I love my stick.

hey man i hear ya...and im glad ya posted

see ive been driving a 2000 civic Si for the past 6 years and ive been living my life above 5500rpm for those 6 years and i got very tired of it...plus some other little things made me choose the DSG over the 6MT

and so far in the past 3 days ive pretty much used the paddles only...there have been acouple times where i just used "S"...but its all still feels very manual but at the same time very auto...but im thinking in the long run i might just come to rely on the "D" in my driving unless i get the itch to use the paddles

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
kirk180 said:

I use my DSG paddles literally all the time. Only time I leave the car in D is if I'm stuck in traffic or something. Having driven both manual and my DSG extensively, I can say that although the manual is an absolute joy to drive (no denying that!), the DSG just gives me far more control over my car. You can't compare it to other tiptronic/semi-auto cars because most of them don't use a clutch at all; only relatively recently have inferior one-clutch systems that afford little control been introduced into commercial cars.
As regarding your hairpin/going-onto-highway example and how you downshift to make it a bit more fun - I do this regularly with my DSG, and I'm sure that you would have done too. You really need to get used to the feel of the DSG before you can start appreciating it. To answer your question, am I getting the same driving experience with my DSG than I would with a manual box? Absolutely; if anything, it affords me even more control over the car than a manual ever could and this in turn enhances the driving experience. I love my DSG :wink:

Sinjin

Rally Car Newbie
no regrets with the DSG...I hate MT in traffic! And 85% of my driving is in traffic...my fast is not happy, but it is what it is.

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
I'm with Kirk180 on this...

I've driven both a couple of times. And although, being a technophile, I tried so hard to love the DSG---in the end I decided on the manual. The bottom line was that the use of the manual clutch and the shifter is so much more fun and engaging for me. (My wife would have appreciated the DSG though.)

Like the other person said, with the DSG, I just tended to leave it off and drove it like a normal auto. Even though I tried several times "to get the feel of it", it just wasn't as interactive. I'm sure if I was driving on a track, I'd learn to appreciate the DSG even more but the fact of the matter is, I don't get to drive on a track too often.

So as cool and efficient as the DSG is, I stuck with the manual. I might regret this when I eventually sell the car in a couple of years... But for now, I love rowing!

bilbos

On the Kop
I have always driven manual cars prior to moving to the US and I thought that I would seriously miss the interaction with the stick, but I don't. Part of it may just be laziness, but the DSG works great. You have got your "S" mode, paddle shift and normal "D", depending on your mood, you can have lots of fun. :smile:

davesee

FIA GT Champion
I gotta say that I love my dsg! I do use the paddle shifters when I'm feeling frisky, which is at least every other time I drive the car. I do like the way of putting it in S mode, and while taking on that person at the stoplight that just has to see what the new gti can do - I dont have to worry about messing up my shifts and ruining the gti's rep :p

Although I do, every once in a while, miss feeling that absolute connection a manual trans gives.

If I had to choose again, I know I would pick the dsg

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I can definitely see a good debate for both choices. I wouldn't fauilt either one. It would however be interesting to see if everyone in one year is using the DSG as much as they do when the car is brand new with the feature. Maybe I'm dead wrong. Oh well, I like them both.

cmdrfire

kirk180, I've had the car over a year now and if anything I use the paddles more than I did when I originally got the car. :p

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
well i have to say i didnt mean for this to turn into a DSG vs 6MT...but u all have very vaild points

i will say tho as someone else said...i miss the interaction with the manual...i miss being able to revv the piss out of it at a stop light...lol...i miss being able to nail 2nd and get a nice little chrip from the front tires

but as i get older that stuff doesnt matter as much as it once did when i was younger...i love my DSG i think of it as a mature manual and it does all the stuff i want it to...like being able to downshift to 1st while going 40mph(at low revs)...which i was shocked when it did...but i think the DSG is all around fun while being able to be lazy when we want

i think in a year from now i will still use the paddle a great bit...it may not be every time i drive the car but i think it will be often

newtogolf

the amount i paid couldve got me a polo sport instead. given that the polo isnt that much different from a golf, it couldve been a worthwhile choice.

Double-V

Go Kart Champion
I briefly considered DSG when ordering my car, but I recalled that while I enjoyed it on the test drive, the novelty wore off even on a 20 minute drive. I prefer the feel and involvement of a manual. Just personal preference, that's all. The DSG is pretty cool, but it just isn't "me". I have no problems with a manual in heavy traffic.