GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0T FSI Cam-Follower / HPFP question.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
:bowvw:Has anyone ever tried just eliminating the whole mechanical fuel pump assy. and replacing it with an electric fuel pump system entirely? I think I read somewhere in here that there is an electric pump that's priming the injectors already?
I mean fuel systems aren't that complicated on other vehicles why all the high exulted mystic jingo on this car? Inquiring minds want to know!

larcic

Ready to race!
it's not that complicated. it's just a faulty design. generally that is how direct injection works. the fuel needs to be at a high pressure (that the electric pump can't provide) in order for fuel to be injected on the engines compression stroke. in order to provide this pressure a mechanical pump is added and it is powered by the moving parts of the engine (camshaft). the cars you are speaking of (that just have an electric pump) are port injection. direct injection is said to have a 15% performance and efficiency gain over port injection. the design on the MKV GTI is faulty because of the tappet follower and the relatively weak mechanical fuel pump. these issues where fixed when vw went from the fsi to the tsi engine. now they have a roller cam follower that doesn't wear much, a properly sized fuel pump, and a better fuel delivery system. Our cars can be converted to either a roller cam follower, or port injection. many people are skeptical about putting a roller when the camshaft is designed for a tappet. and switching to port injection can get a little complicated/not necessary unless you are going above 600hp. some people here switch to dual injection (port and direct) in order to keep the intake valves clean.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
:bowvw:Has anyone ever tried just eliminating the whole mechanical fuel pump assy. and replacing it with an electric fuel pump system entirely? I think I read somewhere in here that there is an electric pump that's priming the injectors already?
I mean fuel systems aren't that complicated on other vehicles why all the high exulted mystic jingo on this car? Inquiring minds want to know!

A couple of years ago I switched over my TFSI flat tappet setup to the TSI roller setup to eliminate the wear problems with the TFSI flat tappet system. It has worked well. My car uses a modified HPFP (APR) to fuel my K04 setup so it is getting a workout. (mostly canyon carving and track time).

There was/is controversy over the design of the kit I used but it seems to be holding up just fine. Having said that, it is absolutely cheaper to just change out the cam follower every 10K miles or so. I found that running Shell T6 Rotella oil really helped make the cam followers last longer than the Mobil 1 I was using.

Fueling system works quite well on the VW for both performance and economy.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
You guys are the best! I have learned some more about what makes our cars unique. That ditty about port injection (like most cars) which works thru intake valve timing and the timing required by the direct injection via the HPFP, is a real eye opener. I had no idea that the HPFP was developing like 1500 psi! That's insane! I will definitely have even more respect for the way I check my cam follower next time and take extra care in the way it all goes back together! I'm not disappointed. I'm impressed like you wouldn't believe!