GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender Rust Question?

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Haven't been able to get to dealership, yet (have to go early in morning before work). I'm hoping to drop in the VW dealership, tomorrow, for a "photo shoot."

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
I did my claim back at the beginning of march an havent heard anything. gonna call tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

jessdakota

JessDakota
Car(s)
07 GTI MKV
Dealer is covering my rust on rear fender where it meets the bumper. One dealer refused to look any further when they determined that there had been previous body work done, despite the fact that the previous work had been done to the front fender after I hit a deer and it was just blended and the rust was obviously nothing to do with that work... The second dealer I took it to actually did some research based on my VIN and found a TSB that addressed my issue... The work is to be done next week... The rust/corrosion warranty is 12 year.

My recommendation is to have it looked at by a dealer that actually has a body shop, as they are going to be more inclined to take on the work....

JessDakota

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
My recommendation is to have it looked at by a dealer that actually has a body shop, as they are going to be more inclined to take on the work....

Yup, this is what I did. I chose Heritage here in Union City because they have a Heritage Body Shop that is shared between all their dealerships. They sent me over there immediately so they could have the estimate and everything ready for the regional guy next week.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Just to continue with the ongoing saga, I visited the local Pittsburgh VW dealership and the service manager was very nice. He took pics of the odometer, inside engine bay, the back of the car, the front of the car, the VIN, and, oh yeah... the fender that had the rust on it.

I'll follow up when I hear back from the dealership regarding the claim.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Cross-posting my update here:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195230

Just got the call today from the dealership to drop the car off at the body shop and everything will be billed to VW. Perfect. Still need to get details on what's included. I may pay a bit extra to get my hood repainted if they aren't covering the blending already. Also, my rub strips are starting to flake, so maybe those as well.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion

Just saw this now, so congrats on getting VW to cover your damage. I doubt there will be any coverage for blending, but getting the fender covered is a big win when the vehicle is out of warranty. Even when a vehicle is still in warranty, most manufacturers won't cover paint issue (those that don't involve actual perforation rust holes from the inside out, that is).

So, my saga still continues. I took my vehicle to the dealer in mid May and still haven't heard anything back and the dealer service manager isn't returning my phone call for an update :mad:. Consequently I used VW NA's online chat to request some help... verification that the dealer has at least submitted my request and an updated status (I think after 3 weeks, that's more than enough time to get at least a status update).

I'm supposed to hear back from VW soon, and will follow up once I do.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Just saw this now, so congrats on getting VW to cover your damage. I doubt there will be any coverage for blending, but getting the fender covered is a big win when the vehicle is out of warranty. Even when a vehicle is still in warranty, most manufacturers won't cover paint issue (those that don't involve actual perforation rust holes from the inside out, that is).

Yeah, I think they said my paint/perforation warranty was good for like six more months or something. It's pretty long. The estimator at the body shop said it's definitely rusting from the inside out.

Continued luck with yours.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Yeah, I think they said my paint/perforation warranty was good for like six more months or something. It's pretty long. The estimator at the body shop said it's definitely rusting from the inside out.

Continued luck with yours.

Well, I was just saying the "normal" warranties only cover actual perforation due to rust... VW has actually done a solid and agreed to cover rusting of the bumper that damages the paint (even if there is no perforation). I saw your pic, and I didn't notice any perforation, either. So, I'm glad VW actually stepped up and has covered many of these claims.

As far as my claim is concerned, I did hear back from VW NA. They called about half an hour ago and told me that they haven't been able to coordinate with the dealer. I asked her if she had any evidence the claim was even submitted and she kinda dodged the question. That said, I'm starting to think those same jerks at the dealership that aren't calling me back probably didn't even submit my claim.

VW NA is supposed to contact me, tomorrow. So, hopefully, I'll finally at least have a status on my claim by tomorrow afternoon.

To be continued....

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
Good news! After some back and forth with VW NA (due to the dealership being unresponsive, not due to any issues with VW NA) it appears my claim was finally approved. I'm now scheduled for a date with the dealership's local body shop, tomorrow. Even though I was a bit agitated over the delays from the dealership, I must admit that I'm very happy with how VW has stood behind the vehicle.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
This is an old thread, but just thought I'd add my experience. Dealer body shop just hung 2 new fenders on my 2009 White GTI, with 106,000 miles - all under extended warranty. Had originally taken it in about 10 months ago, but never heard back from them. When I finally got around to checking again, they had to resubmit my claim. Went pretty fast after that.

Also just had a strip of paint fall off the back, right under the VW hatch release logo. It's about 1" long by 1/4" high. Dealer quoted me $550 to fix that (guess the free warranty only goes so far), so will try touch-up paint for now. But I fear it's rusting on the inside and will need a better fix.

hamh

I also have both side of my fenders replaced by the dealer, took the car in for them to verified it's eligible, a week later it's approved and took them 3 days to get it done. My experience was pretty smooth.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
I brought mine in for 2 fenders, hatch and wheel arches. Go to pick it up an the did one of the fenders, the hatch and forgot everything else. Overspray on my brand new OE headlights and crappy job putting mouldings back on, no emblems and they didnt blend anything.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
I'm sorry I did not follow up sooner, but wanted to finally add that VW provided a brand new "wing" as the Brits would call them, and the dealer body shop did an excellent job matching the paint to my 2008's Union Grey. The fit was quite good, but it was slightly off, so deciding whether or not I'll take it in to have it aligned more perfectly, but, regardless, I'm very happy with VW handling the cost of this fix and the dealer body shop doing such a good job on the paint.