GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

16' to 17' big difference

shtrumfy2k

Ready to race!
hello

i changed the wheels on my golf V from standard 16' to 17' and the cars feels much slower and the fuel consumption has increased considerably

i respected the dimensions...now i have 225/45/r17 and the tires are bridgestone potenza

is this normal? the rims are MAM nuvo

thx

Attachments

• golf3.JPG
    golf3.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 856

shtrumfy2k

Ready to race!
i coudn't agree more, but the diff between the 16 and the 17 is about 2-3 kg max per wheel...it's not that much

thx for the reply

GTI2007

If you look on his pic you see a GOLF bage on the left and a 2.0 TDI badge on the right, which makes that it isn't a GTI but a regular Golf and those get only 16" as standard wheel size, not 17" like with the GTI.

abqhudson

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately -

I believe that your butt dyno is probably correct - and - you just talked me out of 17" rims for my Rabbit. Looks are not everything.

Jim

DBCPerformance

OEM & AFTERMARKET PARTS
Car(s)
An Imaginary GT2
Scotaku said:
Go weigh one of your old wheels and then weigh one of your new ones. You're likely to find the new wheel (and tire) is heavier than the original. The increase in unsprung weight is probably your culprit... and those look heavy. It takes more energy to both move and stop a heavier wheel. Sorry. Physics made me do it.

well agreed, however should not make THAT MUCH difference, unless the rims are made of concrete:laugh:

nice ride btw

shtrumfy2k

Ready to race!
thx 4 the replys

after a few days the difference is not that big, but lighter wheels is a must if u r interested in performance

my next wheels will be OZ ultraleggera Matt graphite, 6,4 kg :w00t: now that's light

cheers everyone:burnrubber:

Nimble

Oval Champion
shtrumfy2k said:
i coudn't agree more, but the diff between the 16 and the 17 is about 2-3 kg max per wheel...it's not that much

thx for the reply

That's 5-7 lbs which is HUGE, you must not know the effects of rotational weight.

Nimble

Oval Champion
Wantagti said:
I can only imagine how it would feel going from 22 lbs to 17 lbs.......

Ask me how I know. haha.
I did this and because the 2.0T has tons of torque, you don't feel it as much as a regular Golf/Rabbit will, but it was still noticeable. Also with how much better the suspension reacts to road inputs.

shtrumfy2k

Ready to race!
@nimble: my car is a 2.0 tdi and has 320 Nm of torque, a 2.0 T has 280Nm, so torque is not an issue here , i'll keep the wheels for a while i luv the way it looks on the car