GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Resetting TPMS

GTI ROB

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
LBKEN41,
Where you ever able to resolve the TPMS problem?
I just bought new tires and the warning is on and so is the light on the dash. I am going to try and increase the tire pressure to 40 psi to see if that works.

Meat

rack rack 'em
Car(s)
2007 GTI [DSG]
bump the pressure to above 30 psi and drive. It may take up to 20 minutes or more for it to register. Happens to me every time I swap my track wheels out.

edusson

Had the same problem. US system has automatic reset. Inflated them to 40PSI cold and worked like a charm. Less may not (and did not, for me) do it. Thanks for the postings.

Moxie

Car(s)
08 VW GTi 4-door
So just so we are clear, there is no "manual reset"? I have had my "low pressure" warning and TPMS indicator light on for 2 solid days now. I've gone through three tire presssure guages (hard to find a good one), i've inflated my 35 psi tires to 40 psi cold. I commute to work an hour or more every day (each way) and i still have the light and message on. I have a spare tire, but its a steel wheel (OEM).

I read about a manual reset using the ESP button and a "Set" button next to it, but i don't have that "set" button in my 08 GTI.

Any ideas?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
So just so we are clear, there is no "manual reset"? I have had my "low pressure" warning and TPMS indicator light on for 2 solid days now. I've gone through three tire presssure guages (hard to find a good one), i've inflated my 35 psi tires to 40 psi cold. I commute to work an hour or more every day (each way) and i still have the light and message on. I have a spare tire, but its a steel wheel (OEM).

I read about a manual reset using the ESP button and a "Set" button next to it, but i don't have that "set" button in my 08 GTI.

Any ideas?

You might try this procedure from VW ...

Moxie

Car(s)
08 VW GTi 4-door
nice, thank you. I will give that a try.

Lunaleigh

MFD tire pressure reset...help!

I kust bought new tires yesterday, bit the light wont go off. So it appears I have the model that does not have a button to reset the tire pressure light. I have to do it through the MFD. Problem is, my MFDstopped working 2 months after I got the car. The most I get is hhe backlight colors, and the yellow notification bar (and no clue what it's saying.) So, I can't see what I'm scrolling to. I was wondering if one of you could walk me through the steps to get to the reset option?

I would greatly appreciate the help.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Luna,

I assume you checked tire pressures and confirmed they are all in spec.
(Just because they are new don't ignore this,
had a new set keep triggering TPMS, but one tire kept losing air once in a while,
turned out to be an intermittent bad seal on the valve stem/TPMS sensor,
There is a rebuild kit available to correct that.)

US mk5s with TPMS use a sensor in each wheel.
The sensors broadcast to an antenna in the dr side A-pillar
(also used for the key fob remote).

If the controller sees 4 sensors reporting the correct parameters,
the TPMS light will go off. i.e. If you have driven the car with correct tire pressures
and all 4 sensors are still good, it should have recalibrated on its own.

If you are not losing air,
Was the TPMS light OFF before the tire change?

If yes, it is possible the tire buster damaged a sensor.

If no, you may have a failed sensor - the sensor has a battery
that is not replaceable, if it goes, you replace the whole sensor.
9 years is well past expected battery life.

(and if the tire shop damaged it, they will likely shirk responsibility
and claim the sensor died of old age -
but if it was OK when you took it in,
I do not believe in coincidences in that case).

That is easy enough to determine with a VAG-COM,
the controller will show the values received from each sensor.

I kust bought new tires yesterday, bit the light wont go off. So it appears I have the model that does not have a button to reset the tire pressure light. I have to do it through the MFD. Problem is, my MFDstopped working 2 months after I got the car. The most I get is hhe backlight colors, and the yellow notification bar (and no clue what it's saying.) So, I can't see what I'm scrolling to. I was wondering if one of you could walk me through the steps to get to the reset option?

I would greatly appreciate the help.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I see GTI edited his post while I was composing mine.:lol:

BTW I go through this twice a year with the b6 Passat
when swapping between summer and winter setups.
(Have 9 wheels, each with its own TPMS sensor, for that car.)
It adapts to the change of 4 sensors very fast, usually within 1/4 mile.
And I run them below the placarded recommended pressures for the b6 -
recommended 40, run them at 38/36.
That adjustment has never bothered the system.

benrobbo2710

I am having trouble with my VW Golf 1.9 2008, i have no TPMS reset anywhere in the car although the car manual says it should be in front of the gear stick. I have checked in the glove box too but nothing in there. I have tried pumping all 4 tires up to around 38 psi and drove for over 30 minutes but the light on the dash wont go off. I have not had any tires changed or had any damage to them to make the light come on. The light first come on when the weather was really cost and around -5 someone said that the sensors may be frozen so i gave it a couple of weeks until the temp warmed up and tried again but still nothing and all tyre pressures havn't moved all still set above the manufacturers guidelines.

One question is when you first pump the tires up to reset it on a long drive can you not move the car at all as at the minute i have just been pumping the tires up and driving straight away does leaving the car to stand straight after pumping the tires up actually make a difference?

I have also had somebody reset the light with a obd2 reader but the light came straight back on after turning the ignition back on.

Any ideas thanks?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
At nine years old, I would not rule out dead batteries in your in-wheel sensors. The batteries are not replaceable, you have to replace the entire sensor.

There should be a way to determine if a sensor is not reporting with VAG-COM.

BTW the reset button is for systems with no sensors that use the ABS to determine low tire. No reset button means you should have a sensor in each wheel.
I am having trouble with my VW Golf 1.9 2008, i have no TPMS reset anywhere in the car although the car manual says it should be in front of the gear stick. I have checked in the glove box too but nothing in there. I have tried pumping all 4 tires up to around 38 psi and drove for over 30 minutes but the light on the dash wont go off. I have not had any tires changed or had any damage to them to make the light come on. The light first come on when the weather was really cost and around -5 someone said that the sensors may be frozen so i gave it a couple of weeks until the temp warmed up and tried again but still nothing and all tyre pressures havn't moved all still set above the manufacturers guidelines.

One question is when you first pump the tires up to reset it on a long drive can you not move the car at all as at the minute i have just been pumping the tires up and driving straight away does leaving the car to stand straight after pumping the tires up actually make a difference?

I have also had somebody reset the light with a obd2 reader but the light came straight back on after turning the ignition back on.

Any ideas thanks?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
And no, you do not need to let the car sit after filling the tires.
Quite the contrary, you need to drive the car to wake up the sensors.
i.e. The sensors have a centrifugal switch to power up. When the car sits,
after a time-out, the sensors go to sleep to conserve battery.
Factory procedure says after changing a sensor you need to drive at low speed (approx 15 mph)
to wake up the sensor and give it a chance to pair with the controller.