GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI v. Tesla

Dan W

Ready to race!
Mine is an '07. It has only 60k miles and it runs well. It's stock.

Recently, I was about to get on a freeway onramp (in CA) and a Tesla was behind me. I thought he might want to play so I kept the car in second (6sp) as I entered the ramp. I wanted to keep the revs up.

The Tesla swung around me into the far lane and went for it. I was ready. I held him off through second, third and part of fourth before entering the freeway. He didn't gain at all, which was surprising. Aren't those cars supposed to be fast? Well, I guess the ol' VW is pretty quick from a roll, even stock.

The Tesla driver probably wasn't too happy with the result because as I entered the freeway and slowed, he stayed on the far right and kept going, fast.

Dan W

Ready to race!
He was keeping a little behind just to make me feel good? I doubt it but who knows? I guess you'll have to find a Tesla for yourselves and try it. :smile:

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
The P85D is the fast one, with 2 electric motors. There are like 4 other S models but they aren't nearly as quick as that and only single motor. The lower end ones are like 300hp, which isn't much for a GTI to keep up with stock. My buddy has a TL Type S with a J pipe or something and I put like 1.5 lengths on him (intake, res delete, aka stock) from a roll & dig. He told me he's beaten v6 camaro's & mustangs and those are about 300. If you kept up with a P85D I'd be surprise.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Stock GTI? Even a early model S would have pulled you at those speeds. He probably didn't want to blast up to twice the speed limit just to pass you.

Dan W

Ready to race!
Since we started at a very low speed, he wouldn't have had to exceed the speed limit by much, if at all, to pass me, if he could've. He didn't mind getting on to the freeway at 80mph or so.

plant0

Car(s)
07 GTI
P100D is 2.3 seconds to 60mph. Try racing anotha Tesla lol.

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
I own a MKV with all the bolt ons except a turbo upgrade, the car is quick but my friend had a Tesla model x P95D and there is zero chance my gti can keep up. The same guy with the Tesla has an Ferrari Italia 458 that I got to drive last night and I'll tell you the Tesla will smoke it. I'm thinking that the OP was racing himself

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Had a run in with one months back...I have no idea what model Tesla this one was...it was newish looking and quite sleek looking at its front side...but he got in the right 'turn only lane' that ended at the next signal about 1/4 mile ahead. We're sitting there and I am aware people think they're gonna use that right lane to get in front of traffic(Me this time). Light turns green and I go semi-aggressively, he was doing what I thought, but didn't figure he'd have to try full out. When he realized he needed to, he got on it fully. I was watching for this and got on mine fully and he nearly got beside me. Initially, because he hit it first, he was pulling on me until I got to full throttle. Momentarily he stayed right with me for just a bit and then I saw him slide back just a bit. I have a K04 and do 12.8 @ 112. This vid is mine but at a slow dig due to trying to keep traction on a moist day...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjGB_mCly64

I don't think he had the fastest Tesla model, and will never know.

Last edited: