GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radio code not needed

LonAllen

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed projector fogs on my 08 Rabbit this weekend. Went to the dealer to get my radio code, but apparently do not need it. Had the battery out of the vehicle for over an hour. When I hooked it back up only had to set the time, the steering indicator and the anti-skid indicator. Premium 7 system turned on like the battery was never pulled. Weird.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I thought this was normal. I've had my battery disconnected overnight while doing the timing belt maintenance and never had to use the radio code.

LonAllen

Passed Driver's Ed
Everywhere on the forums I see mention of needing the radio code when the battery is disconnected. I just assumed it was gospel, especially since my son's Honda does this. Maybe it is only necessary if the radio is removed from the car.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
yea i pulled my stock deck out cor two years an put it back in when i got rid of my rcd for eonon. worked no code

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Billiam

Far Fig Newton
Car(s)
'07 GTi
I had a blew the fuse at the head unit over a year ago and just replaced it today. Still had the channel presets and no code needed.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
When the radio code is correctly entered and accepted,
the radio code is also stored in non-volatile memory of another controller
(I think its stored in the CAN gateway, not sure).
After the battery is disconnected, when it is reconnected
you will typically see the radio briefly request the code,
and then it is automatically entered by the code stored in the other controller.
So typically once the radio is working, as long as it stays in the same car,
you will not need to enter it again.

Billiam

Far Fig Newton
Car(s)
'07 GTi
When the radio code is correctly entered and accepted,
the radio code is also stored in non-volatile memory of another controller
(I think its stored in the CAN gateway, not sure).
After the battery is disconnected, when it is reconnected
you will typically see the radio briefly request the code,
and then it is automatically entered by the code stored in the other controller.
So typically once the radio is working, as long as it stays in the same car,
you will not need to enter it again.
Thanks for your reply. VCDS revealed multiple faults in the CAN gateway, Central convenience, Central electric's, and of course radio/sound system. I jumped to the completion that my radio was toast and subsequently committed the technician's Cardinal sin( rebuilding the engine before checking to see if there was gasoline. When It donned on me to check the fuse on the radio chassis I had already checked every other system and price out replacing control modules. Thank God I didn't replace any. I replaced the fuse, the radio turned on, no errors, or initial code request messages. I still have a fault in the Radio System according to VCDS but I'm pretty certain that is because I have satellite radio receiver module removed. We never use it.