GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A/C advice

Roaldtm

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Just wanted to share my experience with you guys. Two days ago it started to get on the 90's here in Alabama/Georgia. I started using the A/C and it was not working as good as it was doing last Spring/Summer, so I went to my shed and got the Re Charger bottle I purchased at Auto zone last year. I followed the instructions according to the bottle and the gauge was reading that I needed to add more Freon, I did so and turned off the car.
Yesterday the temperature raised again and I was driving back home so I turned on the A/C, then... Nothing the A/C was just blowing hot air. After spending my 28 minutes commute roasting inside my GTI I got home and checked everything. Nothing was visually wrong so I decided to check the Freon with an extra gauge I had laying around and to my surprise the thing was reading 65 psi instead of the safe 50-55! I connected the same bottle with the gauge I used to fill it and it was reading again that I needed to put some more on it. Realizing that the gauge on the bottle was out of whack I took the car to an A/C shop this morning. Just like I was fearing I overcharged the damn thing and the guys took 2.46 lbs extra out of the system! I was surprised that the whole thing didn't blow up; but now is colder than ever and everything is good to go :thumbsup:
So my advice: DO NOT TRUST THE GAUGE ON THOSE RE FILL CANS THAT THEY SELL EVERYWHERE!!! AND IF YOU DO USE A SEPARATE GAUGE TO DOUBLE CHECK!