GOLFMKV

Sunroof delete

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
This Thread HERE may be of some interest to the OP (and anyone who actually wants to do this).

The image is huge so I don't want to direct link it...

http://fluidwebdesign.net/misc/R32/carbon_finished/IMG_0185.JPG

Thanks for the link, I haven't read the whole thing yet but that is crazy he got a CF roof on his R. I'll see what I can work up so fill the space in my sunroof, it'll probably be aluminum unless I can find a cf one for sale.

edit: it's bullshit he just puts it over the metal... damn

Stampedevxl

RACECAR > STANCECAR
Car(s)
really?
Glass plus all the motors, wiring, rails ect... probably weighs about 50lbs and it's as high up as you can possibly get, worst spot for weight.

wrong, a roof rack is higher :wink:

Easy.

Use garbage bag & expanding urethane foam to make a negative from an actual sunroof glass w/ the gasket. Be easier if you know somewhere that packs shit in boxes using that method.

Modify the negative to account for the thickness of your material, seal it, and pour in silicone to make a positive.

Pull out your silicone positive, vacuform or manually fiberglass it.

Easy to hack it up and have it work anyway. Hard to make it all pretty like that. Unless you do that shit all the time, and then why are you listening to me?

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
Easy.

Use garbage bag & expanding urethane foam to make a negative from an actual sunroof glass w/ the gasket. Be easier if you know somewhere that packs shit in boxes using that method.

Modify the negative to account for the thickness of your material, seal it, and pour in silicone to make a positive.

Easy to hack it up and have it work anyway. Hard to make it all pretty like that. Unless you do that shit all the time, and then why are you listening to me?

:clap:

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Easy.

Great DIY I'm gonna do this but with carbon fiber. Any more tips?

Great DIY I'm gonna do this but with carbon fiber. Any more tips?

Hell I'm just spitballing. Not like I've done any of this.

AFAIK the major difference between carbon fiber and fiberglass is that your fibers are carbon or silicon.

A big big big part of saving weight is reducing the excess resin. I would recommend looking at HPV (human powered vehicle) forums for tips because those guys shave weight by the gram when making fairings.

One way or another a vacuum pump gets involved.

hairyblackrabbit

Powerful like a gorilla
Easy.

What this guy said,

Its an old bay area trick for custom fit sex toys.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks for the link, I haven't read the whole thing yet but that is crazy he got a CF roof on his R. I'll see what I can work up so fill the space in my sunroof, it'll probably be aluminum unless I can find a cf one for sale.

edit: it's bullshit he just puts it over the metal... damn

If you read it fully you'll see why :wink:. Once they got rid of all the sunroof workings, they figured out that there was very little metal they could cut out without sacrificing the structural supports in the roof. All said the cutting would have only shaved another 10 pounds or so; most of the weight was already gone from the sunroof itself.

That's actually why I posted the link, so you could see the full write-up of what someone else did already along the same lines; IE that the sunroof is the primary weight reduction anyway.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
If you read it fully you'll see why :wink:. Once they got rid of all the sunroof workings, they figured out that there was very little metal they could cut out without sacrificing the structural supports in the roof. All said the cutting would have only shaved another 10 pounds or so; most of the weight was already gone from the sunroof itself.

That's actually why I posted the link, so you could see the full write-up of what someone else did already along the same lines; IE that the sunroof is the primary weight reduction anyway.

I hate the idea of carbon anything for purely cosmetic purposes. I have a carbon hood but since the weight savings aren't huge I'm waiting to paint it before it goes on the car.

m3waj

ARe you serious want to remove sunroof

Is there a panel made to fit the hole or do I have to make one?

I would love a sunroof your mad so what if your racing drive faster dont blame the car put a big turbo or something dont get rid of the sunroof just remove the carpets and airbags and electric windows but not the sunroof

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I would love a sunroof your mad so what if your racing drive faster dont blame the car put a big turbo or something dont get rid of the sunroof just remove the carpets and airbags and electric windows but not the sunroof

Hey, did you even read this thread? For example:

Glass plus all the motors, wiring, rails ect... probably weighs about 50lbs and it's as high up as you can possibly get, worst spot for weight.

First of all this is something not many people have done so let him do it if he wants to. Secondly your opinion on the topic probably doesn't mean shit all to him. Having said all that, 50lb on the very top of a track car is useful in what way exactly?

gtfo