GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canberra GTG

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Hi all,

As discussed in the "Moving to Canberra" thread, it would be great to have a GTG once I move down to get to know some of the locals.

The date, at this stage, will be Sunday 7 February. I know nothing about the local roads, so a nice long route that takes us through some nice windy mountain roads would probably fit the bill. So suggestions are welcome (and vital). I guess a route with somewhere we can stop for lunch would be good too.

Also not sure if it's the norm to bring gf's. It's not really the done thing in QLD, but it was common at the WA GTG I went to once, so let me know so I'm not the odd one out!

I'll update this post as the details firm up.

Cheers,

saad

Go Kart Champion
Im in. Will bring GF if shes keen

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Should be in for this.

Around Canberra the twisty road thing, unless we go long haul to the Snowy Mtns, isn't terribly lunch friendly. There's a so/so cafe at Tidbinbilla tracking station and some crusty old pies at Tharwa general store and that's about it. There used to be a nice place at Tharwa (Cuppacumbalong), but not sure if it still does lunches, or if it has been turned into a gallery.

GFs are welcome, drive at your own pace which can be as quick or as slow as you like. We'll wait for you, or you'll wait for us, no biggie.

saad

Go Kart Champion
So guys any time and venue decided to meet? Perhaps we start with some breakfast so we can show Steve some of the btter places? Not too early though as Im photographing a wedding on the Saturday night...

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Kingston Grind does an okay breakfast, but parking is a bit shit (dunno if they open on Sunday either).

Depends if Steve still wants to go for a drive, too. As mentioned the food options are not great if we do Brindabella Road and go on past Tidbinbilla to Tharwa, which could take anywhere from an hour to three hours depending on how much we stop and chinwag.

We can also turn right at Tharwa and head to Apollo Road as well if he likes. Or we could take the road to Corin Dam, although, I can't say I like that road too much. There's too many blind crest/turns to take a number of cars through there I reckon. Plus the road is bumpy as all hell.

saad

Go Kart Champion
How about we meet then decide from there? Its not like theres a lot of us so shouldnt be too hard

Schnitzel Baby

Bright shirt, dull mind
Car(s)
Golf MK5 GTi
Surprise, surprise! Looks like I'm not going to be able to make it. We've opted for a wet weekend (no, it's not a euphamism) down the coast. Pity, I was actually looking forward to meeting some of you. Looks like we're destined to be nothing but cyberfriends (don't believe I just said that:rolleyes:)

saad

Go Kart Champion
Anyone else out? Maybe reschedule?

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. Got to Canberra Tuesday morning (the drive to Canberra was a big one!) and instead of delivering our stuff Tuesday like they said they would, the removalists decided to change this to today (if we're lucky). So I've been staying in an empty house, sleeping on an air matress. And I start the new job today. So things are just going woooooonderfully.

Anyways, I've tried a few places closeby, like Silos, Kingston Grind, and Portia's in Kingston. Kingston grind did, indeed, have fantastic coffee and the chicken and bacon melt was delicious. I think this might just be my local haunt.

So I'm still fine for Sunday if everyone else is. Why don't we have breakfast somewhere before the drive, or lunch somewhere after? At least that will give me a chance to meet some of you guys and put faces to names.

I've never been a fan of having the GTG section all by itself, since you have to be looking for a GTG to know one is on. I wonder if we should post in the main section to garner more interest?

Cheers,

saad

Go Kart Champion
I completely agree with your GTG section point, maybe do post in the main forum? However, as happened to me once, certain members objected and said to move the thread. Meh who cares

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Perhaps we should delay it for a couple of weeks to hopefully give others the chance to join?

Cheers,

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
I might come out if the weather is better than it was today. Bridgestone RE001's and wet roads do not make for an enjoyable drive... Will probably be the last outing for the MkV.