GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW New Compact Coupe

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
Except that from that distance it could be a GT. :clap:

true dat but i'd rather my GTI look like a GT than my Mk6 GTI looking like a mk6 golf. Saw a RS mk6 GTI this am and it didn't stir up any feelings at all.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
true dat but i'd rather my GTI look like a GT than my Mk6 GTI looking like a mk6 golf.

All that says is you don't understand or you don't accept the heritage of the GTI concept. The MkVI moves back even more to the original concept behind GTI.

Walter de Silva said:
“ We wanted a consistently clear GTI design, a car that has power, but style as well.

“Also cast in stone was the goal of evoking the character of the first GTI a bit more…and that is why it was decided that – with the exception of the aerodynamically important rear spoiler – the new GTI would not have a single exterior add-on.”

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
The current design direction of VW is an interesting one. Under the leadership of Murat Günak, who introduced the former VW design direction (where VW's had a face similar to that of the MKV GTI, R32 and Jetta and the Tiguan, Passat CC etc.), the styling for the brand was pushed up market with a dramatic, vertical front end graphic. When Martin Winterkorn (former Audi CEO) took over VAG, he installed the former chief designer of Audi, Walter de Silva to oversee the new design direction of the VW brand. This saw the new design direction that we see implemented today, with horizontal lines and much plainer, more simple detailing. In a word, the goal was to take the VW brand downmarket back to its original position, leaving Audi plenty of breathing space. The difference is stark. Take a look at some designs from the previous strategy:

And compare them to some designs under the new strategy:

The most dramatic example of the difference is the current Scirocco. The car began under one design direction and ended under another! Hence why the front end of the production car seems a little out of place with the rest of the vehicle.

Everything other than the front end is significantly more expressive than what we are seeing under the new design direction. Just compare it to this New Compact Coupe, for example. So everyone has their own opinion, but there's no question that after flirting with overt, expressive, sexy design, VW's returning to a much more conservative style. Some people like it, other people don't. Personally, from the front, I think the MKVI GTI looks much more bland and less impressive than the MKV. But then I prefer the taillights of the MKVI.

Cheers,

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
Didn't Audi and VW have the same faces ie MKV GTI blacked grill? I think that is why...

Well they're not the same face. They're actually completely different in their execution. But the key is that vertical elements tend to be associated with a premium feel, while horizontal ones are meant to evoke a more pedestrian feel. Hence why VW switched from a vertical to a horizontal grille.

Cheers,

Ice Halo

Ready to race!
Hmmm, good point vwmkvgti. Stark difference in those pics. Actually prefer the look of my MkV GTI at the front compared to the MkVI for that reason- looks more aggressive to me.

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
gotcha. cheers. so does that make vw cheap now?

Basically, yes. They're repositioning the brand for high volume; experiments like the Touareg and Phaeton didn't work so well. Based on the VAG portfolio of brands, it makes no sense to push the VW brand upmarket, as occurred from around 2000. The styling merely reflects this fact.

Cheers,

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Car(s)
VW GOLF V GTI
I thought this might be of interest to those in the MK5 vs Mk6 discussion.

Dude parked beside me the other day at the shopping centre

I saw the shot and I took it!

Crackberry image sorry it's a bit shit

Personally I like both

vwgtimkv

Out of love for the car
To me, the MKV is an icon. I can't say the same for the MKVI.

Cheers,

johno

Volkswagen Autoliebhaber
Car(s)
R32
x 2 biach. Murat Gunak sounds like a Turkish Assyrian to me. Look back at assyrian architecture...babylon gardens etc. no wonder the fifth generation looks the goods. just to sink the knife even further into mkvi design fans..i would buy a modded mkv over a vi any day of the week.