GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First rattle

KWICKS

Now older and wiser
Car(s)
GTI, Liberty 3.0RB
Mrs complained of a rattle so I checked it out. It may have been there since new but she wouldn't know as she always turns the stereo up.

It sounds like its coming from the front right suspension tower area in front of the driver, behind the firewall. It increases in noise with speed over bumps, expansion joints, etc and sounds in time with the bumps.

Dealer had car for a week looking for rattle, got it back and it is still there. Not sure exactly what they did....

Is this a common rattle - they told me common rattles are in the HVAC stack. It is not there.

Any ideas? Cheers.

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
i get a clicking noise coming from the front right suspension over bumps. my car is due for a service soon so i will get them to suss it out for me. ill keep you posted with what they say

but shit if thats the only rattle you're getting then youre doing bloody well!

TG.20T

Searching for bends...
i get a clicking noise from the front but I think I've narrowed it down to the seat. It's so so annoying - happens when i go over low steady bumps at slower speeds. When I take my weight off the seat it stops. can't find anything wrong with the seat though so going to have to take it in.

Aleksii

34RNT
I have the exact same issue. Feels like something is loose in the front right, but I have had it all checked by a mechanic and they could not find anything.

I have seen other threads about the same issue.

KWICKS

Now older and wiser
Car(s)
GTI, Liberty 3.0RB
Hmm, his first suspiscion was the plastic shroud across the top of the bonnet from where the wipers emerge, he undid the rubber seal and reseated it, but to no avail.

I think you'd need to be quite good at finding rattles with strong attention to detail to do well at resolving them in all their forms.

KWICKS

Now older and wiser
Car(s)
GTI, Liberty 3.0RB
Took it to the same dealer's alternate service centre to get a second set of mechanics to look it over. The car was driven, the rattle heard, then I left it with them. They could not reproduce the rattle below 40kmh so not on the driveway of the workshop. They got the listening tools (probes, stethoscope, microphone, etc) out and could here it on a drive, but not in the workshop. They decided it was impossible to remove the dash adn reproduce the sound as the car could not be driven with the dash out. So they are taking a punt and have ordered a front right strut for replacement as it is the most likely candidate. Part is to come from Singapore so with take 10 days and then it will go in once more for replacement.

Hope this fixes it.

KWICKS

Now older and wiser
Car(s)
GTI, Liberty 3.0RB
They replaced the front right strut. Noise persists. They tell me it is now going to be almost impossible to solve and they would be "chasing their tails". Do I accept that? Would you live with it or insist they rip the dash out and hope they can do a decent job of putting it back together?

Big Yellow

I'm Big and i'm Yellow!
Car(s)
MY09 VW Golf R32 DSG
They replaced the front right strut. Noise persists. They tell me it is now going to be almost impossible to solve and they would be "chasing their tails". Do I accept that? Would you live with it or insist they rip the dash out and hope they can do a decent job of putting it back together?
bit risky!

you may get it back with more squeaks and rattles than you started with!!

Kirium

Go Kart Champion

I don't see much other choice but to live with it. While your dealer has probably exhausted all reasonable options, if you keep forcing the issue you're only going to end up disappointed, especially if you start doing silly things like insisting they tear your car apart to look for a (relatively) insignificant rattle. A car is a very complex thing with hundreds of thousands of parts. Taking complex units apart with the expectation that they'll be put back together again properly is asking for disappointment.

Best bet is to swallow hard, accept defeat, understand they MkV Golf isn't the tightest drum in the band, and find support in the 95% of Golf owners that also suffer from rattles and have gone thru exactly what you're going thru.. :thumbsup:

gti mk5

BEST!!!
Car(s)
GTi MK5
i get a clicking noise when i drive out of my driveway wen going to hook it to the right .. also heard my first rattle from inside the car coming from where the seat belt slide:( car due to service in a couple hundred kays anyways get them to check it out

mljchan

gti mkv fanatic
Car(s)
gti mk5
don't worry about the rattles.just turn up the music.
some of my rattles have disappeared over time.don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

spence88mph

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same rattle that's just started, sounds like a crackle from a speaker but with the stereo off it's still there. Now all I hear is the F$%king rattle over any music I play, hope my service centre can fix it, so frustrating!

gh172

Ready to race!
I get a vibration from speaker on the passenger side door . Took it to VW and they replaced the speaker but made no difference to the vibration!