GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New R32 or New GTI Pirelli? Which to buy

essay

Hi all,

Appreciate your opinion on which one to go for, either

1. Silver GTI Pirelli w/ Sat nav, xenons, park distance OTR $52K
2. Silver R32, no options OTR $55.7K

I have owned from new an '05 GTI (white) with leather, xenons, and roof in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
I'd either take the R32 or wait for a MkVI GTI. Certainly wouldn't get a Pirelli GTI. It would've been a great car back in 07, but it's too little for too much coming all too late for VWAus.

R32 for that AWD-V6 drivetrain and the fact it's the last big engine in a small VW. A future classic.

MkVI GTI because it's a new shape with new tricks like eLSD, adjustable dampers, new version 2.0L TSI with more power and better fuel economy.

DeanCorp

Ready to race!
I don't know if I'd go that far!

I'd wait for the Mark VI GTI at this stage if I were looking, even if it means buying a $2K car to get around in until it arrives.

Not being biased because I have a Pirelli, but i'm suprised so many people are recommending the MKVI GTI over the Pirelli, sure the MKVI will have the new shape but the Pirelli is still a more powerful car.

I think the problem is the options which are bumping up the price. For example, I paid $46,000 drive away for my Pirelli with Rear Sensors. That's a $6,000 difference. I just bought the RNS510 for $1927 delivered, leaving the total at $47,927. Only thing it doesn't have is Bi-Xenon. Even still comparing the MKVI GTI it will probably be the same price as the Pirelli asking with all the options the OP wants. I would still be going for the Pirelli. Interested to hear your thoughts...

I think if I was considering the R32, I'd be waiting for the GTI-R but that is still a while off and probably much more than he is willing to spend.

Guliver_TwiSt

Passed Driver's Ed
r32 (its going to be an iconic GOLF)..The last VR6 in a golf.
Or the new gti. The Pirelli is a super car, but after a while it would shit me if anyone referred to it as the old model, since there will be so many new GTI's on the road. But I work in I.T. which makes me favour the Latest and Greatest.. hehe

Cheers,

essay

Thanks guys.
My head goes for the Pirelli, but my heart with the R32. The car is to be mainly driven by my wife on an 80K commute from outer Melb to bayside. My only reservation with the R32 is it's range. What is it fair to expect out of a tank of fuel?

decksla

Ready to race!
/me opens can of worms

go the relli for these reasons:
* its quicker point to point
* its more chuckable
* its a better base for mods (if thats your thing)
* its a little more exclusive
* fuel economy (though thats highly depatable)

go the r32 for these reasons:
* cruising
* comfort
* solid torquey motor
* AWD
* sound!!!

i got the relli. i just want around 250kw out of it (pretty easy) with some coilovers. its my work car which doubles as a family hack and covers close to 1k a week. fuel is consistently under 10l/100km and with the GIAC could be slightly less, though slightly more as id be driving it harder :)

r32s are horn, but i wanted something i could take by the scruff and and shove it through corners. not saying you couldnt do it with the r32, but with the extra beefcake you definetaly feel it.

sikx5

Ready to race!
I found the fuel economy differs vastly from city to highway commuting. Mine is DSG btw.

I work in the city and during the week, i can get 350-360km within the city. That is using 52L of fuel on average, as i do a full tank and calculate the total.

Weeks were i use the highway a fair bit, i can easily get 400km+ from a tank. A mate with a 3door DSG gets 450-550 a tank as he uses the highway everyday.

Also DSG will provide better fuel economy than a manual. Are you looking at DSG or Manual for either of the cars?

Blaze182

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI Pirelli
Just ask yourselves which do you want? Performance, exclusivity, perfect handling (with slightly expensive tyres if you continue with the P zero stockers)

OR

Comfort, still gobs of performance, but just a heavier chunkier car. Also one which doesnt attack corners are rigerously as the pirelli.

Thinkg of it this way.

Pirelli = Lamborghini Murcielago (OF the Volkswage world ;) I'm not actually making the comparison!!)
R32 = SL 55 AMG Mercedes

The R32 is refined and sophisticated, lovely to drive, still a boat load of performance, and looks ok. (My preference is pirelli for looks)

Where as the Pirelli is much akin to its bullish comparison, untamed, viscious, demanding the next corner be attacked at the highest speed with most wheel spin, grapping corner after corner so you pull out on the other side as fast as you possibly can. You'd have to understand, with this attitude, the ride can get bumpy at times, especially if you driving down the M1 construction areas ;)

My preference is allways pirelli, but the R32 is very tempting.

Really its a coin toss for me. R32 = Comfort, refinement. Pirelli = Something you just pulled in from the forest, wild and thrashing, youve put a chain on it and are keeping it as your pet ;) Albeit the beast will get bigger when you give it some minor mods, but hey, at stock its a pretty darn powerfull little thing!

decksla

Ready to race!
I found the fuel economy differs vastly from city to highway commuting. Mine is DSG btw.

I work in the city and during the week, i can get 350-360km within the city. That is using 52L of fuel on average, as i do a full tank and calculate the total.

Weeks were i use the highway a fair bit, i can easily get 400km+ from a tank. A mate with a 3door DSG gets 450-550 a tank as he uses the highway everyday.

Also DSG will provide better fuel economy than a manual. Are you looking at DSG or Manual for either of the cars?

wow, thats serisouly woeful fuel econ, sorry.

i average well over 500kms to a tank driving in all sorts of conditions, freeway, city, burbs, etc, i almost always give it stick when its safe and when i can.

exclusively in manual mode DSG (unless taking a call) and just filling up on v-power.

for the 12000kms i have already driven, thats over $400 i wouldve saved on fuel in getting a pirelli over and r32 (based on my extremely dodgy calcs)

sikx5

Ready to race!
Just ask yourselves which do you want? Performance, exclusivity, perfect handling (with slightly expensive tyres if you continue with the P zero stockers)

OR

Comfort, still gobs of performance, but just a heavier chunkier car. Also one which doesnt attack corners are rigerously as the pirelli.

Thinkg of it this way.

Pirelli = Lamborghini Murcielago (OF the Volkswage world ;) I'm not actually making the comparison!!)
R32 = SL 55 AMG Mercedes

The R32 is refined and sophisticated, lovely to drive, still a boat load of performance, and looks ok. (My preference is pirelli for looks)

Where as the Pirelli is much akin to its bullish comparison, untamed, viscious, demanding the next corner be attacked at the highest speed with most wheel spin, grapping corner after corner so you pull out on the other side as fast as you possibly can. You'd have to understand, with this attitude, the ride can get bumpy at times, especially if you driving down the M1 construction areas ;)

My preference is allways pirelli, but the R32 is very tempting.

Really its a coin toss for me. R32 = Comfort, refinement. Pirelli = Something you just pulled in from the forest, wild and thrashing, youve put a chain on it and are keeping it as your pet ;) Albeit the beast will get bigger when you give it some minor mods, but hey, at stock its a pretty darn powerfull little thing!

:rolleyes:
Comparing these cars to a SL55AMG and a Murcielago, you don't know much about the Merc or Lambo do you? :thumbdown:

wow, thats serisouly woeful fuel econ, sorry.

i average well over 500kms to a tank driving in all sorts of conditions, freeway, city, burbs, etc, i almost always give it stick when its safe and when i can.

exclusively in manual mode DSG (unless taking a call) and just filling up on v-power.

for the 12000kms i have already driven, thats over $400 i wouldve saved on fuel in getting a pirelli over and r32 (based on my extremely dodgy calcs)

No need to be sorry. That exhaust note puts a smile on my face every time i step on it. 13/14L per 100km is O.K. Not the best, but its worth it. :biggrin:

You will be saving money on fuel with a GTI, no doubt. But meh.... :biggrin:

decksla

Ready to race!
No need to be sorry. That exhaust note puts a smile on my face every time i step on it. 13/14L per 100km is O.K. Not the best, but its worth it.

oh for sure!!

even the vr's had a one of the sexier notes around!

i get some of the "younger" R owners drop it a coupla of gears to overtake me with the full range of the exhaustnoteness. bitches!

essay

DSG on both