GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Oil Pressure Gauge sender

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Precision as in it's easier to see the smaller increments of measurable difference in one unit of psi than it is with one unit in bar. Units are not regardless in the least. The overarching point is to match the gauge's measuring range with that of your current operating environment.

For reasons stated above, and more, oil pressure is very useful to monitor for someone well aware of its implications. Your lack of this belief doesn't negate its purposeful use.

Bars, centibars, millibars... The Defi unit displays Bars and centibars, which is more than adequate for this application. Match the measuring range with the operating environment, but don't change units (from bar to PSI, say) - that's just silly.

And belief doesn't come into it. As I clearly mentioned, I understand the usefulness of oil pressure monitoring generally, but it makes little difference on the Golf that I am at 4.1 bar yesterday and 4.2 bar today.

FliGi7

Ready to race!
And belief doesn't come into it. As I clearly mentioned, I understand the usefulness of oil pressure monitoring generally, but it makes little difference on the Golf that I am at 4.1 bar yesterday and 4.2 bar today.

Ok, and no one puts a gauge in to monitor for only the times it's operating normally. Just because it hasn't changed enough to warrant concern doesn't mean that someday it won't, which is your argument right there for it being useless. If it went from 4 bar to 3 bar in a day, hopefully you would deem it as a useful gauge then. But again, you not finding any use in it based on your opinion doesn't make it useless.

I'm not here to convince you how or why to use your gauge, just to disspell your incorrect argument that an oil pressure gauge is useless simply because you find no use for it.

Gti284u

Car(s)
2007 Vw Gti MKV
Aftermarket Oil Pressure Gauge

Okay so i purchased my gti in may of 09, i am new to this and i am confused. I recently installed an AEM Oil Pressure Gauge in my MKV, among other gauges. I used the banjo bolt, location on top of the turbo under heat shield. Now i don't know if this is normal but my gauge reads in PSI. ( I know that is normal for the region i live in lol ) Anyway, when i start my car it reads around 53 - 60 psi constantly moving between the digits. Then as the car warms up it drops to between 18 - 25 constantly moving. One guy tells me that something is wrong its way too low. ASnd the other tells me that its a normal oil pressure range and at idle 53-60 is too high ???? You see my problem i am an electronical genius but you give me an engine i am a kid with an erector set, it seems right but i just don't know ....? Any help would be great thanks

cmdrfire

Okay so i purchased my gti in may of 09, i am new to this and i am confused. I recently installed an AEM Oil Pressure Gauge in my MKV, among other gauges. I used the banjo bolt, location on top of the turbo under heat shield. Now i don't know if this is normal but my gauge reads in PSI. ( I know that is normal for the region i live in lol ) Anyway, when i start my car it reads around 53 - 60 psi constantly moving between the digits. Then as the car warms up it drops to between 18 - 25 constantly moving. One guy tells me that something is wrong its way too low. ASnd the other tells me that its a normal oil pressure range and at idle 53-60 is too high ???? You see my problem i am an electronical genius but you give me an engine i am a kid with an erector set, it seems right but i just don't know ....? Any help would be great thanks

When my engine starts oil pressure is at about 4 bar, which is about 58 PSI. When driving at about 3k RPM, this pressure is maintained. On idle when the engine is warm pressure drops to around 1.5-2bar, which is approximately 21-28PSI. Seems like everything is running nominally on your car to me.
You a triple-e?

Mexican fast

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW
ok question guys..i have tha tripe center gauge pod for my car but i only have a boost gauge..ive been debating about wat other 2 gauges to buy...thanks

supaflip

WWAATTAAHH!!!
ok question guys..i have tha tripe center gauge pod for my car but i only have a boost gauge..ive been debating about wat other 2 gauges to buy...thanks

either get oil pressure, oil temp, or fuel pressure. i'd recommend the fuel pressure since u have an fsi.

cmdrfire

either get oil pressure, oil temp, or fuel pressure. i'd recommend the fuel pressure since u have an fsi.

I don't think the DEFI fuel pressure sensors are capable of reading the very high pressures required by the FSI (in excess of 110-130bar).

I think the best mix would be boost, oil pressure, and then either oil temp or exhaust gas temp.

Hilton_K

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Where is a good location for the oil temp sensor?

roruss08gti

Have you been RickRolled?
Car(s)
08 GTI
And a lot of people forget the ever faithful voltmeter. This is important when you are running a 2000 watt stereo system in your car. If you see the voltmeter start to drop, you pretty much know it's one of two things. Either your battery is dying or your alternator just took a crapper on you.

Pantera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 vw gti
I hate to say it but a oil pressure gauge is very useful. My car wont even let me know till im almost out. I got a walmart oil change and they didnt seat the filter. Within a few days i lost 3 almost 4 quarts n my car didnt throw crap up till i was getting on a freeway with no place to pull off. My friends gti seized cuz he was on a long road trip n it never threw up a warning.

bowerhour4334

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I just installed my oil pressure gauge yesterday. New south told me to use the lower oil feed line banjo, connected to the block, not directly on the turbo. I have been having weird issues with it. First of all it dosent drop to zero when I shut the car off and I think I may have tapped a constant 12v and not a switched, but regardless of that, my readings are everywhere. This morning it seemed like it was reading good but at idle I was only at like 10psi and I know the oil level is good. Other times it seems to just go wherever it wants to. Like today I parked and shut the car off and the gauge kept rising very slowly.

Im thinking maybe with the engine being shut off and on but not the gauge, it could be getting confused?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Sounds like a wiring issue, loose connection or otherwise.