GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Oil Change on GTI (without Oil Drain Tool)

Deezz_Nuttz

What's a User Title?
ok man, I didnt mean to be an ass. I was simply tyring to help folks out with their oil change. I really dont like the fact that VW went with a paper element filter and that you need a "specialty tool" not available to the public by normal means. Besides that tool is like 50 bucks for the employee's, I saw a site selling it for about 80 bucks. Too much if you ask me.

But why risk puncturing a leak in the filter housing just to drain it? I mean its not THAT messy. I just drops whatever oil is inside, like in the pic. Easily wipped up.

Anyways, GL

SoCalComatose

Booyahkasha Respekt!
Car(s)
2004 R32
ok man, I didnt mean to be an ass. I was simply tyring to help folks out with their oil change. I really dont like the fact that VW went with a paper element filter and that you need a "specialty tool" not available to the public by normal means. Besides that tool is like 50 bucks for the employee's, I saw a site selling it for about 80 bucks. Too much if you ask me.

But why risk puncturing a leak in the filter housing just to drain it? I mean its not THAT messy. I just drops whatever oil is inside, like in the pic. Easily wipped up.

Anyways, GL

No offense taken or meant bro. I'll be doing the next change myself and see what it's all about then. :wink:

Again thanks for your informative DIY, good stuff. :thumbsup:

waduya mean

you dont need the tool to drain the oil filter housing. you can push up the oil filter drain with the corner of a flat tip screw driver and push the nipple to the side so it stays in place. once its done draining. take the screw driver and nudge the filter housing drain back down itll click then just pull it down lightly with the screw driver till it stops. it doesnt take much pressure to move the drain and its all the tool does anyways.

hope that helps

TheUnfadableMix

CPhT Euro Enthusiast!!!
Car(s)
07' GTI 2d CW Pk1
Note to everyone when doing their oil change....

I don't know if you guys do this already , but if you unscrew the oil cap in the hood ..... the oil will come out faster. I noticed it "glug" out due to no passage for oxygen...... I never had to do this with other cars........ but yeah if you take the cap off while you drain, the oil will come out faster.

btw im @ 4200 for my oil change lol....... the consequences of laziness!!

grasshopper

Frankie Says Reflex
Car(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK
I just changed the oil for the first time today, and in an effort to make the mess as minimal as possible, I tried an experiment. And, it only cost about $7. Not having drained this car before, I didn't know what to expect. Consequently, I still spilled some out of the housing when I removed it, but maybe someone can make it work better.

The apparatus consists of bits of two fishtank gravel vacuums, one "small" (6x1") and one "mini" (5x1 5/8") (they can be found at PetSmart.com). The "mini" kit provides the cylinder and the narrow hose on the end, while the small kit was only used for the larger tubing. I trimmed the large tubing to 7" and cut one end at an angle. It is inserted into the cylinder with the bevel down to allow fluid flow out of the cylinder, and it sticks out an inch at the top. When pressed up against the filter housing, the tube fits over the orange nipple and pushes it upward to let the oil out. Amazingly, the cylinder fits PERFECTLY and snugly over the lip at the mouth of the drain hole allowing handsfree draining.

The reason it didn't work as well as I wanted is likely either that the oil has to pass back through the filter to reach the drain but is too resistant (which no tool can fix), or that the inner tube wasn't pushing the nipple up high enough.

Anyway, here are the parts:

And, the assembly:

Z06dude

The oil drain plug is equipped with a permanent seal, therefore the oil drain plug must always be replaced.

from the manual...

VW are retards, they systematicaly try to remove all the DIY maintenance

-mission-

Direkt Schalt Getriebe
Car(s)
MY07 Golf GTI
The oil drain plug is equipped with a permanent seal, therefore the oil drain plug must always be replaced.

from the manual...

VW are retards, they systematicaly try to remove all the DIY maintenance
I think (I hope) that's just the $0.50 copper washer, not the whole plug. FWIW I'd DEFINITELY be getting a new copper washer (for such a crazy small price) to ensure the plug was a good seal.

VW don't want you touching their cars = loss of $'s and in any case you can just go to the dealer and get one from spare parts dept. :iono:

- M -

grasshopper

Frankie Says Reflex
Car(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK
The drain plug has a steel(?) washer pressed onto it so it doesn't come off. You might be able to snip it off and use a copper one though.

But, the ECS magnetic plug works well too. ;)