GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DSG trans upgrade.

Luckydawg75

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
I am currently running APR stage 2 tune, and thinking about getting the DSG tune for the DSG transmission.
Was wanting to know what to expect with the upgrade and how it drives after the upgrade.
This will likely be the last upgrade I make to my GTI, with the cost of stage 3 and the changes from that point are a little more than I would like to invest. Any feedback is welcome!!!

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
What upgrade are you talking about? DSG tune?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
yep that is correct the DSG tune.

The DSG tune is a minor upgrade. For me, the most obvious issue with the DSG once I had gone stage 2 (added torque) was that at very light throttle cruising the DSG seemed to have trouble deciding which gear to be in and it would go back a forth but only under those specific conditions.

Going to a DSG tune corrected that hunting issue. I didn't use APR DSG tune but what I liked about my stage 3 Uni DSG tune is that it holds whatever gear I am in unlike less aggressive tunes that would downshift if I hit the detent at the bottom of the throttle. I used GIAC tune several years ago and it did correct the issue I mentioned above but it would not hold a gear if I hit the detent.

Anyway, it is an expensive upgrade with subtle returns. By that I mean when you put a stage 1 engine tune on, you feel like wow this is a very noticeable change. You won't get that with this upgrade.

It is a tune you can live without but one you do notice if you lose it.

inverse_square

Passed Driver's Ed
The DSG tune is a minor upgrade. For me, the most obvious issue with the DSG once I had gone stage 2 (added torque) was that at very light throttle cruising the DSG seemed to have trouble deciding which gear to be in and it would go back a forth but only under those specific conditions.

Going to a DSG tune corrected that hunting issue. I didn't use APR DSG tune but what I liked about my stage 3 Uni DSG tune is that it holds whatever gear I am in unlike less aggressive tunes that would downshift if I hit the detent at the bottom of the throttle. I used GIAC tune several years ago and it did correct the issue I mentioned above but it would not hold a gear if I hit the detent.

Anyway, it is an expensive upgrade with subtle returns. By that I mean when you put a stage 1 engine tune on, you feel like wow this is a very noticeable change. You won't get that with this upgrade.

It is a tune you can live without but one you do notice if you lose it.

I have had a different experience, however, I also did not go with the APR DSG tune. I got mine done through 034Motorsport.
Let me preface this with the following:
I would've gotten the DSG tune from APR, except that they didn't want to give me the time of day, even knowing that the car is S2+hpfp, and RFD from them.
Because of that, 034 was offering a discount @Wuste, and since I live in Vegas, and was going, it seemed only fitting that I use them.
That being said, I am extremely happy I did.
I feel like difference from s1, to s2, was not as noticable as stock to s1. Getting the DSG tuned (S2-DSG) was, for me, just as noticeable as going from stock to S1!
It feels more like it should've been this way from the factory. It feels less laggy, and the kickdown switch is gone, so that definitely helps!
I even put my car back in the stock tune, and it still feels like S1! It's like the DSG knows what I want, before I do, and is extremely responsive! Shift points are much better, and uber fast!
I really wish I would've gone with the DSG tune, before going S2, especially since it's my DD.
YMMV.

Luckydawg75

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Living in OKC, Ok we don't have much in the way of VW tuners. If you own a Honda, or Nissian, EVo or any V8 in the world you can have any one of the many shops tune that right up. Seems like the VW just isn't getting that much love in my state. I am needing to get rid of that confusion the S2 is causing the DSG, with shifting at odd points in the RPM range. Like uphill doing 35Mph it will go 4th to 5th then back to 4th at the crest of the hill then 5th to 6th while down hill. I do agree at low mph cruzing, can still cause that confusion to with the tranny. This is just the last piece in my build, and then debate and contemplate S3, but I think I have used the, "this is the last update or mod", to many times.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Living in OKC, Ok we don't have much in the way of VW tuners. If you own a Honda, or Nissian, EVo or any V8 in the world you can have any one of the many shops tune that right up. Seems like the VW just isn't getting that much love in my state. I am needing to get rid of that confusion the S2 is causing the DSG, with shifting at odd points in the RPM range. Like uphill doing 35Mph it will go 4th to 5th then back to 4th at the crest of the hill then 5th to 6th while down hill. I do agree at low mph cruzing, can still cause that confusion to with the tranny. This is just the last piece in my build, and then debate and contemplate S3, but I think I have used the, "this is the last update or mod", to many times.

Just about any of the DSG tunes will take care of that issue. I have used GIAC and Uni both work fine. With Unitronic you can order the tune with a cable and you can upload the tune yourself, you don't need a local dealer/tuner.

Luckydawg75

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI
Just about any of the DSG tunes will take care of that issue. I have used GIAC and Uni both work fine. With Unitronic you can order the tune with a cable and you can upload the tune yourself, you don't need a local dealer/tuner.

Thank you, I will look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
It definitely isn't best bang for your buck and it certainly is kind of expensive but it's a sweet upgrade, and can be pretty necessary in certain setups.

My DSG tune did the following:

- LC is now increased to 4k, which helps with traction
- disabled kick down in manual mode which I understand all or most tunes do
- disabled up shift again in manual mode, these 2 features should be best enjoyed at the track
- faster dsg shifts, which is noticeable at WOT
- helps with slip, which mostly happens in strong K04 setups and above, often paired with upgraded clutchpacks
- increased redline which to me is the most important feature in a strong K04 setup, in that it helps build up and sustain peak power longer providing an extra 400 or 500 rpms of usable power (I once went up to 7500, but ideally shifting at 7200 which makes a pretty noticeable difference compared to previously 6800), it also throws you into higher rpms each gear where you will always make more power, and because your shifting points will be increased, often you won't have to shift as much, helping you go faster, like in a 40-125 you're only gonna have to shift twice, into 3rd at 70 and 4th at 100 mph, while 5th won't be until 130.

Revo DSG stage 2 tune