GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radiator Fan Not Spinning, no cold A/C

sacman

Ready to race!
I'm resurrecting this thread as it happened to me a couple week ago. The car is 2008 with 154K miles. I got indicator that the coolant and the temp gauge went to the red zone. I shut it down and went to check it out. Coolant was full. I waited for 30 mins and drove home without the AC on without incident however as I near home, I tried to turned on the AC and the temp raised again. Vagcom scan said the Fan Controler Circuit 1 is faulty, code P0480 and the HVAC has fault due to high pressure refrigerant switch faulty. I do notice that when I turn on the AC, both fans will be on then both stop shortly after about 10 mins. I never heard of the high pressure switch causing the car to overhead until I found this thread. Has anyone experienced this? I could try to replace both pressure switches are they are relatively easy and cheap to DIY but wouldn't that expose the vacuum AC system? Could I just replace and refill the freon using the readily available recharge kit from the local autopart store?

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
What was the exact code for the high pressure switch G65? It can be replaced without discharging refrigerant its on a Schrader valve. You can do an output test on the fans using vagcom.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I would start with fixing your fan issue, your smaller fan may be fine and can be tested by putting power and ground at plug where it connects to larger fan.

sacman

Ready to race!
both of my fans work as soon as I start the car and turn on the AC. I do notice a high pitch noise when I shut the engine and it sounds like a "high pressure" noise if I'm making any sense.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
I'm resurrecting this thread as it happened to me a couple week ago. The car is 2008 with 154K miles. I got indicator that the coolant and the temp gauge went to the red zone. I shut it down and went to check it out. Coolant was full. I waited for 30 mins and drove home without the AC on without incident however as I near home, I tried to turned on the AC and the temp raised again. Vagcom scan said the Fan Controler Circuit 1 is faulty, code P0480 and the HVAC has fault due to high pressure refrigerant switch faulty. I do notice that when I turn on the AC, both fans will be on then both stop shortly after about 10 mins. I never heard of the high pressure switch causing the car to overhead until I found this thread. Has anyone experienced this? I could try to replace both pressure switches are they are relatively easy and cheap to DIY but wouldn't that expose the vacuum AC system? Could I just replace and refill the freon using the readily available recharge kit from the local autopart store?

Your big fan shit the bed.

Run a scan, and you'll find three codes.

New fan is $200.

I paid 2.5 hrs of labor for somebody else to do cause I'd hulk smash something trying to get it out.

Here's a DIY.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2VGUjIGH9g

sacman

Ready to race!
Your big fan shit the bed.

Run a scan, and you'll find three codes.

New fan is $200.

I paid 2.5 hrs of labor for somebody else to do cause I'd hulk smash something trying to get it out.

Here's a DIY.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2VGUjIGH9g

You're right on the money. I order the fan from 1A autopart from the Youtube link. It costs me $130 for the aux fans and about 1 hr to replace the whole fan assembly. As soon as the AC was turn on, both fans spin now. I took drive the car for about 30 mins with the AC full blast and the temp is dead at 12'clock. Thanks for the tip.

QN

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
You're right on the money. I order the fan from 1A autopart from the Youtube link. It costs me $130 for the aux fans and about 1 hr to replace the whole fan assembly. As soon as the AC was turn on, both fans spin now. I took drive the car for about 30 mins with the AC full blast and the temp is dead at 12'clock. Thanks for the tip.

QN

Good to hear it's working now.

My shit was broken for three years, two places I respected said they couldn't find anything, and that it was simply VW at work.

A new place I went to, found the three codes right away. Pissed that the other two places shrugged their shoulders about this.......