GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fan not kicking + A/C stopped working

fastwire

Ready to race!
There's a VCDS test for them? Heck, even the dealer did the, "let's try replacing the small fan and see what happens", and it was under warranty, where they need to turn in the old parts to VW.

yes there's a test that can be done with Vagcom.

Today I found that on long idle or after heavy traffic in a warm day, only the small fan turns on low speed, while the larger fan sits stopped.

And with the AC turned on, the smaller fan will kick on high.

So it looks like the bigger fan is bad, gonna try the VCDS thing to see if its really shot to swap it. thanks

fastwire

Ready to race!
Sounds more and more like the controller in the large fan. Not an uncommon issue.
yes I found a thread in other forum all about this.

Just tested the fans with VCDS, engine test outputs, Fan control 1
(I read that this test both fans, no more options for the fans than this one).

And yes, the driver side fan (big one) doesn't spin, while the smaller one does the job alone by itself.
I will swap the big fan for sure. thx all..

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Got a link to that VAG-COM fan test? I just realized my AC isn't working. For the past few months my fan has cranked up like an airplane taking off after I turn the engine off. Not sure if they are related or not.

fastwire

Ready to race!
Got a link to that VAG-COM fan test? I just realized my AC isn't working. For the past few months my fan has cranked up like an airplane taking off after I turn the engine off. Not sure if they are related or not.

no link but is easy straightforward:

Select Engine, then Output Tests, then Selective tests, scroll down in the list for Fans, and press start, it will turn on both fans.

I did this and only the smaller one turns, so just had to add to the lists of projects to swap the big fan. :thumbsup:

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Thanks - will do the test tonight. Is replacing the fan simple? Need to remove a bunch of other things to get it out?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Swapped out my small fan yesterday and confirmed that the old one was dead. I assumed everything would be back to normal but today I still have the fans kicking up to high speed airplane mode when I turn the engine off after a drive. Both fans are indeed running. My AC stopped working at some point through the winter and I'm ordering a pressure control switch for the compressor assuming that is the issue but I don't imagine the AC not working has anything to do with the radiator fans running on high with the car off. Any ideas of what to check next?

davidgarza1985

Hi have a problem in my hands right now see if you all can help small fan in my mk5 gli is working large fan was being held hostage by wallmart bag it picked up god knows where freed the fan aplied 12v directly to it and large fan works small fan turns on and off evry ten second or so only thing its not getting power so probably is my resisitor cause if it was a fuse small fan wouldnt come on right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Hi have a problem in my hands right now see if you all can help small fan in my mk5 gli is working large fan was being held hostage by wallmart bag it picked up god knows where freed the fan aplied 12v directly to it and large fan works small fan turns on and off evry ten second or so only thing its not getting power so probably is my resisitor cause if it was a fuse small fan wouldnt come on right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

controls for the small fan run through the large fan.

if your large fan is working now, but the small fan isn't, sounds like the small fan is shitting the bed.

I'd recommend getting scan. if there's a problem, it will show up there. Don't waste time chasing ghosts.