GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown motor?

Prana

Since 88'
So my car was idling rough on Thursday and it felt like a misfire that i have had in the past from a bad coil pack. It happened approximately 1/4 mile from my home, when i got home and put it in park it was idling rough still but when driving no issues cruising at 45 mph. Turned the car off after a long day at work and figured it was just coil packs so i ordered coil packs and installed new plugs and packs and car wont start. Vagcom had cylinders 1-4 misfires, cleared codes and car still wont start. Car has spark and fuel but sounds like it doesn't have compression. Compression tested engine, 0 on all 4 cylinders. Im guessing it was a timing chain slip, lost timing, bent valves?

What am i looking at to fix it myself price wise? 2009 with 130k even.

Im so over the car at this point i would just sell it but idk what the value is. Car is in pretty good condition for age and mileage otherwise. But i currently have a paper weight and i am not spending 3k on a motor.

Options?

af09808

Passed Driver's Ed
Probably anywhere between 1,000 to 2,000 depends how much damage and if u gotta get the head machined or if the block needs to be redone or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Start shopping around junkyards for a used motor (preferably one you can start to make sure everything is kosher), you can get a used motor for sub $1k. More than likely your tensioner failed, I've tried to stress how important it is to update/change tensioner on the TSI motor. It's the equivalent of the cam follower issue on the FSI in terms of it being the number one thing that must be chaneed.

As far as damage goes, if you are seeing zero compression in all 4 cylinders it doesn't bode well for your current motor. You could start by pulling the valve cover to check the valvetrain and dropping the pan to check rods. But the head will have to come off to determine how much damage was actually done.