GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A build I am very happy with - got all my info on this forum

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
So I noticed you order new parts in the 'what did you do...' thread. I thought I was spending a lot of money on my build, yours must be ridiculous.

Yes it is ridiculous. Once I decided to keep it forever, I decided to treat myself to a detailed build that would give me a "new" MKV. So everything under the hood will be new or rebuilt and reinforced for 500hp target. Along with that will be all new wheel bearings, new brembos, new RPFI wheels, new tires. I wanted wider wheels/tires so I went with fifteen52 fender flares.

I had Audi TTS seats but sold those in favor of a pair of Recaro's and some 4pt Schroth belts to hold me in at the track and off course what is a track car without a roll bar. Also adding all 3 of the Unibraces for our car.

With the wider tires, wheels, fender flares etc. stance will be important so I am adding a new set of YCW coilovers with track oriented springs.

I also upgraded water meth to a new Aquamist HS4.

It will also get a new slightly larger rear spoiler, along with new front grills and a yet to be determined spoiler and new rear bottom bumper.

When this is finished the goal is to make this look like a stock GTI ..... sort of, so casual glance doesn't say it looks highly modified but a second look of the much wider stance, big brakes etc start to give it away.

I refreshed the trans just a few thousand miles ago with fresh clutches and full cooling system and an LSD. I may put the more aggressive clutches in but I don't really think I need them. Target is 500hp but I will pull power back a bit for track so I should be fine.

Oh and it also got new windshield and headlight lenses were done (keep it looking fresh). Paint on these is so good I don't need to really do anything.

Anyway I have purchased all the parts above and all this is happening as we speak. Can hardly wait to drive my "new" MKV.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Building a proper car is WAY too expensive.

It is when you start with a 10 yr old car. Usually I start with new cars and it is a much simpler process. I was torn between doing this project or buying a new MK7 R and going for 500hp and sentiment won out (it is also cheaper). I really like this MKV GTI and am a bit sentimental.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
I'd strongly recommend you get a set of 5 or 6 point belts instead of those 4 points.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Awesome, I'm in almost the same money pit throwdown, but it's probably going to drag out a little longer. I'll be curious on how our cars compare in dynos and quarter mile times, looking forward to it!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Awesome, I'm in almost the same money pit throwdown, but it's probably going to drag out a little longer. I'll be curious on how our cars compare in dynos and quarter mile times, looking forward to it!

This is going to be a road racer not a drag racer. If I was going to be going drag racing I would have gone with the larger frame EFR turbo and higher horsepower.

I suspect I will dyno around the usual for this turbo which is 500ish but I will run it lower at the track to keep the heat down. This will also be fully streetable car as well.

Next phase for this car, if things fall into place will be all wheel drive.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Anyway I have purchased all the parts above and all this is happening as we speak. Can hardly wait to drive my "new" MKV.

Can't wait too [emoji4]

Next phase for this car, if things fall into place will be all wheel drive.

Following the same direction too [emoji6]

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Boy, this is the slowest build ever. Everything I ordered has just not been straight forward. Folks scheduled to do the machine work just happened to take an extended vacation etc etc. It will all come together eventually but so many delays. Brake guy sent me a picture of the front calipers going on. Refurbed and Repainted, so at least something is happening.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
VW Scirocco
Boy, this is the slowest build ever. Everything I ordered has just not been straight forward. Folks scheduled to do the machine work just happened to take an extended vacation etc etc. It will all come together eventually but so many delays. Brake guy sent me a picture of the front calipers going on. Refurbed and Repainted, so at least something is happening.

Sorry for hearing that, hopefully it will come together soon.
What's your plan for the brakes?
6 pistons in front and 4 in rear? Rotors?

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion

If it makes you feel any better, my GTI has been apart for 4 years :lol:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Sorry for hearing that, hopefully it will come together soon.
What's your plan for the brakes?
6 pistons in front and 4 in rear? Rotors?

Yes same company is doing 4 piston rears with same finish and logo. Using TTRS mc and Wilwood e-brakes. Rotors will be one piece, regular Golf R rotors.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Some good news... Turbozentrum just sent me an email confirming turbo is shipping!!! It has been a long wait. And of course I don't actually have it in my hands yet but sounds like I will have it soon if all goes right. EFR 7163

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
But is your engine done?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Machine shop finally got started, about 1/2 done as of today.

Last edited: